• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Savage Tweeting with Erin and Noah

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
My pleasure.

Steroid... man, I wish he was still around these parts. What genius!

I'm out, despite being an old loli lover myself "well grown out a bit per say"...Sometimes I really need to stop lurking around... Dear lord those comments....Ahem yeah lovely just lovely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
My pleasure.

Steroid... man, I wish he was still around these parts. What genius!

Ew, no. The expression of free speech does not extend to the violation of another person's physical or psychological well being, child or not. In addition, the following line, that Steroid thinks rapists should be murdered, contradicts the idea that they should be granted the freedom to commit rape.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Steriod never said that freedom extends to committing crimes. He considered things like rape and slander, damaging.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not to go even further OT... but guys, to be fair, I think -- based on later posts -- that steroid was saying that having children raped in the abstract isn't a legal or moral crime, and that one shouldn't be penalized for drawings and thoughts.

(At least, I hope that's what he was saying).

Now, I'm off to bed, as well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Stergeon's law is simply a verbal description of a standard bell curve. As a grumpy old man, he simply put the dividing line between crap and not crap far into the right side tail.

I suspect that anime, like other media, can be placed in a bell curve of quality. The problem would be getting objective evaluations of something so subject to personal preference.
shukero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Bodacious Space Pirates' Japanese title translates to Gung-Ho Space Pirates. 'Miniskirt' was originally part of the novel series' English title, but it was changed to 'Bodacious' later.

Speaking of which, I've watched the latest release, and does anyone else think that this is turning from a space adventure into something of a comedy?

It seems to me that at first they were very serious about the story, but the latest episode has it going from serious to utterly silly comedy.

Anyone else agree?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Bodacious Space Pirates' Japanese title translates to Gung-Ho Space Pirates. 'Miniskirt' was originally part of the novel series' English title, but it was changed to 'Bodacious' later.

Speaking of which, I've watched the latest release, and does anyone else think that this is turning from a space adventure into something of a comedy?

It seems to me that at first they were very serious about the story, but the latest episode has it going from serious to utterly silly comedy.

Anyone else agree?

yeah the whore makeup this time around didn't help the case.. she was pretty enough..maybe i am being a little sexist but she is suppose be a strong female character. Who the hell needs make-up??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
shukero wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Anyone else agree?

yeah the whore makeup this time around didn't help the case.. she was pretty enough..maybe i am being a little sexist but she is suppose be a strong female character. Who the hell needs make-up??

Ahh! I didn't even realize she had makeup on! xD I was talking more along the lines of the way the story is progressing and spoiler[the fake boarding announcement / dueling scene where she fake shoots her shipmate.] But I did think the clothing was a bit out of the ordinary for a pirate, considering all the other characters were in pretty "run of the mill" style clothing. Maybe they wanted her to stand out a bit more?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
... Although I'm not sure what "the forefront of a zenith" is supposed to be. ...

Imagine a vertical arc. Imagine the whole arc is also moving sideways. The top of the arc, on the leading edge of the sideways movement.

Its gotta be, cause in front of the zenith in the direction of the arc, its all downhill from there. Hell, ask Zenith, they can tell you all about "Zenith, sliding downhill from". That can't be the forefront.

So the whole arc is sidling crabways.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I don't really understand adversarial discussions of Japanese versus Western animation; it never occurs to me that there's a conflict to be fought and resolved, but I also can't really understand strict ordinal rankings of things or comparisons generally. They're just not part of my framework for assessing things. Besides, they aren't really serious rivals. Certainly one might be trading time spent on one for time that might have been spent on the other, but it isn't a particularly severe limitation.

The other problem I have is that it ends up as an exercise in rendering judgement rather than in understanding. Understanding is hard and ambiguous; judging is easy and emotionally satisfying in the way that a hot pocket can technically satiate hunger. The problem is that it's boring and nobody learns much. These arguments aren't about proving some thesis or establishing a valuable fact; they're emotional pissing contests for the greater glory of our sacred feelings and possibly our precious bodily fluids!

I wonder if the intensity of a person's interest in trying to prove the judgement that anime is superior is motivated by either the degree of that person's disaffection from his own culture which is plausible given that more anime fans are 'socially marginal' than are people generally, or simply by the f**k you mom! mentality of the very young people who are such a substantial share of anime fans. Either is a pretty simplified model, apt to have exceptions, but I find both more compelling orderings of the horse and cart

In the end, it might just be a misguided line of squabble. It seems to assume that there is a need or imperative in western studios producing dramatic animation, but I don't know that there is. It could be, given the extant talent, production resources and infrastructure that it would be pointless and inefficient for western studios to produce dramatic animation. Rather than some condemnation to inferiority in some asinine cultural war, the present situation might be the most rational, optimal outcome. It might be faulty in absolute terms, but also as good as it can get within the limits of the market.

i've noticed it's always the cartoon fans who start it. i only go to anime forums, so if they wanna talk about cartoons on cartoon forums go right ahead, yet some people decide it's okay to make topics on western cartoons for whatever flimsy excuse they can muster like oh it was influenced by anime or oh it has the same elements or oh lots of anime fans like it (lol i'd love to see their proof of this claim just like the people who use 'some argue' on wikipedia instead of 'I think' to put in their own opinions). but in reality its really entitlement of them wanting to do whatever they want. if they're willingly putting cartoons on an anime forum, then they should be able to defend their reasons in a discussion. if they reaaaallly want to compare their stuff to anime and say it holds up or belongs as anime, then you bet we can compare it to anime, and they shouldn't get mad when that happens and people criticize it or whatever happens
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Fractale is more disappointing than bad. I seem to recall being impressed with the episode with the photographer, especially when I figured out that spoiler[he was the main character's father] and it was questionable which of them, if either, realized. Or maybe that's just me, I watched it awhile back and it was an weird little thing.

Quote:
--The only thing we ask is that you rename her to "Cool Ranch" Asuka.

Quote:
--We're relocating NERV to the Hidden Valley.

Laughed Out Loud. Photoshop calls, but I need to get back to work.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I don't really understand adversarial discussions of Japanese versus Western animation; it never occurs to me that there's a conflict to be fought and resolved, but I also can't really understand strict ordinal rankings of things or comparisons generally. They're just not part of my framework for assessing things. Besides, they aren't really serious rivals. Certainly one might be trading time spent on one for time that might have been spent on the other, but it isn't a particularly severe limitation.

The other problem I have is that it ends up as an exercise in rendering judgement rather than in understanding. Understanding is hard and ambiguous; judging is easy and emotionally satisfying in the way that a hot pocket can technically satiate hunger. The problem is that it's boring and nobody learns much. These arguments aren't about proving some thesis or establishing a valuable fact; they're emotional pissing contests for the greater glory of our sacred feelings and possibly our precious bodily fluids!

I wonder if the intensity of a person's interest in trying to prove the judgement that anime is superior is motivated by either the degree of that person's disaffection from his own culture which is plausible given that more anime fans are 'socially marginal' than are people generally, or simply by the f**k you mom! mentality of the very young people who are such a substantial share of anime fans. Either is a pretty simplified model, apt to have exceptions, but I find both more compelling orderings of the horse and cart

In the end, it might just be a misguided line of squabble. It seems to assume that there is a need or imperative in western studios producing dramatic animation, but I don't know that there is. It could be, given the extant talent, production resources and infrastructure that it would be pointless and inefficient for western studios to produce dramatic animation. Rather than some condemnation to inferiority in some asinine cultural war, the present situation might be the most rational, optimal outcome. It might be faulty in absolute terms, but also as good as it can get within the limits of the market.

You have made some really good points here. I sometimes think that western animation is considered by anime fans inferior just because it is western.

In any case, the resurrection of this old argument made me recall this interesting review with John Lasseter:

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12024

The entire interview is very interesting, but the section I found the most substantive in regard to this argument is at the 44 minute mark, where Lasseter is describing how he is asked when he is going to make a real movie, and he has to respond that his animated movie is a real movie.

The disconnect here seems to be a misguided perception here in the U.S. that animation is not a valid form of media, or is somehow less valid than live action. This perception goes a long way, IMO, to explaining why the western countries don't seem to match the scope and variety in animated media in comparison to Japan. It may also be the reason there is such a disparity in quality, say, between a Pixar film which takes 4 years to produce, and the stuff that gets serialized on TV. It seems you have only super high budget, ... or the opposite.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote

To me, if they are having an entire "having trouble adjusting to the new demands" storyline, the obviously overdone makeup in her pirate captain role doesn't seem out of sync at all. Laying the makeup on too thick is a mistake teenage girls often make when trying to act more adult.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

To me, if they are having an entire "having trouble adjusting to the new demands" storyline, the obviously overdone makeup in her pirate captain role doesn't seem out of sync at all. Laying the makeup on too thick is a mistake teenage girls often make when trying to act more adult.

Perhaps that's true however she falls into more into the tomboy type character that doesn't need that. Maybe I lurked on to many threads on that but sometimes being ocd over little details is a pain lol
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Perhaps that's true however she falls into more into the tomboy type character that doesn't need that. Maybe I lurked on to many threads on that but sometimes being ocd over little details is a pain lol

I never interpreted Marika as a tomboy, or even thought of her on the girly girly to tomboy spectrum. I'd in fact be inclined to put her on the girly girl side of the center of that line.

Regardless, I think that the makeup made sense in context as a hint that she's both becoming more enthusiastic, perhaps excessively so, about her 'part' in being a pirate by playing the novelty of a cute girl pirate captain up, but also as a sign that she might be uncomfortable with her role with the heavy makeup as a sort form of overcompensation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6