• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upper Deck Disputes End of Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal with Konami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
Oh, people still play. The gaming shop I work at part time holds tournaments two days a week, and generally draws more players than Magic does. And I'm pretty certain the average age of the players is over 21. I'm actually a certified judge myself. I really hope Konami doesn't get this, it'd be a bit of a mess if everything changed over.
wangyamaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
It doesnt matter...

Those days of me collecting yugioh are frozen.The only time i get a yugioh card is when my next issue of shonen jump arrives in my mail box as the *free card inside*.I take it and throw it into the old box filled with 1000s of other yugioh cards that i have been collecting sence 9 years old perhaps?Thats not the point to this comment-the game is super old but i see a gradual pick up in the game,almost like its comming back from the dead eg.pokemon.

It will be a suprise if they loose this but maybe they will care after they figure out its picking back up again-i see kids everywhere,even teenagers to the 8th and 10th playing them in hobbie stores and schools.We will just see what will happen to the franchise.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
For the record, I don't imagine 4Kids getting a raw deal here; they'll find another anime to butcher mercilessly, so it's not like THEY will hurt. It's Upper Deck who stands to lose the most, because I imagine Yu-Gi-Oh to be one of their biggest properties, and if they get cut out of it, well, the profit loss probably won't be pretty. I hate to see any company suffer, though, so it'd be nice if they could settle things in a civil, respectable, and fair-to-all-parties manner.

...in other news, I have some swamp land down south to sell y'all.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
I hope UDE doesn't get shafted here- it's been years since I played, but back when it first came out, I was a certified judge, UDE Demo Team member, and attended/worked 3 events a week. It was easy to get involved under UDE's system, and they gave good (non-monetary) rewards for your time... I remember once getting a box with the complete Tournament series 1 card set, a pack of 50 deck protectors, extra Duelist league pins, 2 Cardcaptor Sakura TCG starter decks and about a dozen CCS boosters. Not bad for showing up at events I wanted to attend anyway.

I had to stop when the local card shops shut down... it's too bad, I had a lot of fun with it. Actually met my boyfriend at one of 'em. (That's right folks, playing a children's card game can help you meet chicks! Laughing )
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Ryusui wrote:
I hope Upper Deck wins this one.

I kind of don't. It would hit 4Kids a heavy blow, in all honesty.

First off, that's just plain malice. Anime is not serious enough business to wish misfortune on someone, especially not in this economy. The people who work for 4Kids might not be able to get new jobs if the company folds. Second, no it wouldn't- 4Kids has nothing to do with Upper Deck, to the best of my knowledge they don't even get a cut of the profits from the card game. Third, even if you're taking the angle that cutting off the card game will damage the anime's ratings, there's no reason to believe Konami plans to cut off the game in the states- it's not what it used to be, true, but it still brings in money.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
He said "not at all" and told me that some of the tournament prizes included up to $5000.

You sure about that? IIRC, Konami specifically insisted that UDE not offer cash prizes for Yu-Gi-Oh!, because they didn't want to run afoul of gambling ordinances. That's one of the reasons they brought out VS, actually: they thought they could revitalize the market by offering their Yu-Gi-Oh players a newer, better-designed game that you could actually win substantial prizes for. (For the record: You can't.)

Actually they don't offer up cash prizes. But they offer prizes that can be worth up to $5000 or the prize pool is worth that much in total. The big tournaments, Shonen Jump Tournaments, offer exclusive (playable) cards that can't be gotten anywhere else in the US. Some cards have sold from $1000 to $5000. Currently the Top 3 and 1 lucky player score these cards per Shonen Jump. They also give out boxes of cards, PS3s, Ipod devices and a gaming latop to the top finishers. I think 1st gets cards, the laptops, and exclusive card. 2nd gets ipod touch, box cards, exclusive cards; 3rd gets PS3, box of cards & exclusive card and 4th gets box of cards and PS3. It goes down to like 16th place with ipod nanos and whatnot.

But that's one of the things I hate in the current Yugioh environment. Cards cost so damn much. Some cards are worth $300 a piece! Top decks go for $1500 - 2000! I don't play any of those decks but I think my favorite deck ends up costing $100 - 300. That is crazy. Some of those cards are commons in Japan even!

I hope Konami fixes this when they take over. Exclusive cards are nice. But there has to be something wrong from a company that allows there products to be sold for that much. PLUS they don't see a penny of that. It's smarter for them to release those cards a bit more so people buy their products rather then having people buy them from lucky players. 1 chance out of 60 boxes (5 packs a boxes) to pull that rare $300 card? wow. These are kids we are talking about here.

But the game itself has gotta better then when it started out. The crazy cards have been banned and more original decks are out there. Like any card game Yugioh is often ruled by a dominant deck but rogue decks are still a viable choice. Its pretty fun now a days. It be more fun if the cards weren't so g**amn expensive. I hear the most expensive cards for people who play Magic are like $15. That is a ***king huge difference.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

I had to stop when the local card shops shut down... it's too bad, I had a lot of fun with it. Actually met my boyfriend at one of 'em. (That's right folks, playing a children's card game can help you meet chicks! Laughing )

An appropriate response to that would be: Wait, you're a chick?! Laughing

Anyhow, if Konami gets this, I wonder how well they'll do distributing the cards in national stores like Wal-Mart....
Anime Castle
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The TCG is still very active. YGO is 2nd place in the USA after Magic the Gathering.

To most anime fans YGO TCG is under the radar, since the anime are gear towards little kids. In fact the YGO Gx is developing a new generation of TCG gamers. YGO is similar to Pokemon, most otaku avoid them. Even though both series have a huge franchise outside of the anime.

I think the $5000 is a little misleading. The Regionals and Shonen Jump tournaments give out rare cards, laptops, gaming consoles, etc to the top players. One could sell all that for $5000 if one wins the tournament. Hobby League tournament held in independent stores usually have prizes that go for much less. But the legend/myth/rumor of living off YGO tournaments is enough to keep little kids at that game, which is good too.

Looks like a huge licensing dispute. Probably due to the downturn economy, each side is trying to cover their loses. I suspect this is tied into Upper Decks recent layoffs and the possibility they've fallen behind on royalty payments to Konami.

If Konami wins, I wonder how they are going to distribute and organized the tournaments. Since video game distributors, who handle their video game property, are unlikely to start distributing cards and setting up tournaments in a video game store.

They would have to find another TCG publisher (ie. Scores Entertainment, Wizard of the Coast, etc.) or have a homegrown division within Konami that deals with this.
Xagor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Konami doesn't NEED to give a crap who wins or loses. They have Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid to milk, so what's it to them to lose a battle over a ten-year-old card franchise they mostly churn out video games for?

Being the biggest TCG in the world I'd imagine this'd be a fairly big thing for Konami.
VDZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I hear the most expensive cards for people who play Magic are like $15. That is a ***king huge difference.

Depends on what format you play. If you play Standard, the most expensive cards are indeed only like $15, but in Standard you can only use cards from the most recent sets, so like two years after the card's release, it is no longer Standard-legal. Extended takes a whole lot of sets, but excludes the much older sets, and prices for expensive cards there are higher than in Standard. Then there's Legacy (all sets, but some cards are banned), with rather expensive cards, and Vintage (all sets, most powerful cards are limited to 1 per deck, only 'ante cards' are banned), and that last one can get ridiculously expensive (the most expensive 'normal' card there is $500-$1000).
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
With Score having a whole 4 people on staff (Josh, Aik, Dan, Carl), there's no way they'll be taking on a behemoth like Yu-Gi-Oh. They have their hands full with Bleach and all the other Donruss stuff.

Konami should be taking Yu-Gi-Oh under their own control and running things themselves. I've been working with them in regards to their Blue Dragon RPCG, and they've got the manpower to do the works, at least it seems. My Blue Dragon articles apparently went all over Konami to get edited for print, and that's rare for a company to have enough staff to do that, at least for the games I cover. They're taking very careful care of their Blue Dragon property, and I expect them to be very careful with the 2nd biggest card game around. It's huge and I'm sure they know the gravity of what they're getting into. I wouldn't be surprised if the start of Blue Dragon was to help get them ready for the Yu-Gi-Oh takeover. Thus with the introduction of their card game division, they should be ready to go. They've hired people that have worked with Yu-Gi-Oh for the division as well.

Sure expect them to make some newbie mistakes, but I expect good things in the long run.

More details here from Gaming Report, Scrye's news website:
http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=25998

~Matthew Low, Freelance Writer, Scrye magazine
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The TCG lost me when the anime ended and they started making cards based off the crappy GX spinoff. The new anime's line of cards look even weirder, just because of the whole turbo-based system or whatever. I mean honestly, playing a card game while driving a motorcycle?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Anime Castle wrote:

If Konami wins, I wonder how they are going to distribute and organized the tournaments. Since video game distributors, who handle their video game property, are unlikely to start distributing cards and setting up tournaments in a video game store.

They would have to find another TCG publisher (ie. Scores Entertainment, Wizard of the Coast, etc.) or have a homegrown division within Konami that deals with this.

If Nintendo (who initially was a card game company) could do it, in fact it was sort of the same situation as this except with Upper Deck being Pokemon's Wizard Of The Coast. So, I'm sure Konami could learn.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, look at it this way: the anime is used as a tool to promote the cards, and if the license to the cards gets lost, or somesuch, that means the anime will either slow down or come to a complete stop. Then EVERYONE (corporate types I mean) will cry in their own way.
spife

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
Will this dispute determine the censoring of the trading cards as well? The japanese cards look very cool until the american version butchers it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3