• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Number of times the name "Trigger" is used in this review: 0

Number of times the name "GAINAX" is used in this review: 5

You guys know that GAINAX has nothing to do with this show, right?
StarwaveImpulse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
"- Episodic and formulaic; insanely over-the-top"

And that's a bad thing?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
A fun and silly series. Exactly as I expected from Imaishi. Certainly not the top of the season, but a blast to watch each week.
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Number of times the name "Trigger" is used in this review: 0

Number of times the name "GAINAX" is used in this review: 5

You guys know that GAINAX has nothing to do with this show, right?

I was thinking the same dang thing. I saw the words "a dizzying display of Gainax's peculiar action genius" In the side bar so I clicked on this to see if the reviewer was going to chalk the show up to Gainax instead of the actual creators Trigger. Trigger has relations with Gainax but is not Gainax. They are two separate companies.

Anyway, I've been enjoying the show myself I just need to catch up. I've only seen the first three episodes which I've enjoyed quite well. Really the only complaints I could think of would be nitpicking and does not really matter on the grand scheme of the show itself.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit of an exaggeration to say "Gainax has nothing to do with the show" (in other words, talking about Gainax for context is appropriate), but it's also silly to attribute the show to Gainax in the sidebar blurb.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
StarwaveImpulse wrote:
"- Episodic and formulaic; insanely over-the-top"

And that's a bad thing?

For a series that's supposed to be 25 episodes long? Yes.

Not saying that it won't change in later episodes, but the above is an accurate way to describe the series at this point.

Also, one of my big problems with Kill la Kill (or maybe it's not really Kill la Kill, but more of a great fraction of it's base) is that other shows contain the same elements of KlK (fanservice, annoying characters, slow to develop plots, typical shonen themes) and get blasted heavily; meanwhile Kill la Kill does the same and it's actually praised? Confused
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
It's a bit of an exaggeration to say "Gainax has nothing to do with the show", but it's also silly to attribute the show to Gainax in the sidebar blurb.

It is helmed by people who used to work at GAINAX, but I don't even know if GAINAX has done so much as some inbetweening work on this.

Referencing GAINAX 5 times, in several cases explicitly linking the studio to the show's production; while at the same time never mentioning the actual studio that is producing it is just bad form all around.

I could see merit in mentioning Imaishi et al's ex-GAINAX status, but there being no mention of Trigger at all is inexcusable.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I could see merit in mentioning Imaishi et al's ex-GAINAX status, but there being no mention of Trigger at all is inexcusable.

Erk. I did a word replacement on that but it looks like the wrong draft wound up in the CMS. I'll fix it.

EDIT: Fixed.

Last edited by Zac on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I added clarification to my post after you quoted it. It's appropriate to mention Gainax for context. The lack of mentioning Trigger anywhere is very odd.

EDIT: Ah okay, clerical error per Zac.

Last edited by Leebo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Also, one of my big problems with Kill la Kill (or maybe it's not really Kill la Kill, but more of a great fraction of it's base) is that other shows contain the same elements of KlK (fanservice, annoying characters, slow to develop plots, typical shonen themes) and get blasted heavily; meanwhile Kill la Kill does the same and it's actually praised? Confused

Its the inverse of what is going on with Kyoukai no Kanata.

Both use well-worn tropes and character archetypes, with a few mild twists.

One however is executed fantastically, and the other terribly.

(also basically every episode of KlK has been completely different, so I don't see where the "repetition" complaint comes from...)
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Its the inverse of what is going on with Kyoukai no Kanata.

Both use well-worn tropes and character archetypes, with a few mild twists.

One however is executed fantastically, and the other terribly.

(also basically every episode of KlK has been completely different, so I don't see where the "repetition" complaint comes from...)

Yes, every episode is different from the last. That argument can, easily, be made for any show (anime, American, etc). But the fact is that there's not much of a difference between Kill la Kill's episodes. Like the reviewer commented, it's very episodic.

I haven't seen the Kyoukai no Kanata show you're talking about, but even without that, I still feel like the elements used here aren't much better than any other generic anime show.

But this thing will be 25 episodes long though. I have faith that it will develop into something, both in terms of characters and overall plot.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill uses a formula, but it also toys around with that formula. It establishes expectations and then changes things up, even though yes, the changes are often minor. I expect them to deviate more from that as time goes.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Only saw the first episode and I will wait until this is released on Blu Ray. I feel that this show warrants a physical release on Blu Ray and this is just my opinion, I would want to watch this show 3-4 episodes at a time on a nice TV in HD.

But it looks great and studio Trigger has done an excellent job so far and really looking forward to seeing this series through and their next project(s).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Yes, every episode is different from the last. That argument can, easily, be made for any show (anime, American, etc). But the fact is that there's not much of a difference between Kill la Kill's episodes. Like the reviewer commented, it's very episodic.

Uhh...no?

I mean yes, its episodic, but almost every episode has been drastically different from the one before. Frequently right down to the animation style. Episodic is not synonymous with repetitious.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Really fun show. The animation seems to be on steroids at first with so many body movements per episode. The story reminds me Kill Bill Vol. 1 and I like how the antagonist is given some redeeming qualities despite the disturbing group she leads. Still Kill Bill Vol. 1 was only about 90 minutes long. I hope the story changes before it becomes very repetitive.

Regarding how repetitive it is I believe Gurren Lagann managed to hide it much more as it divided the focus between Simon and Kamina and going to different areas. All of Kill la Kill's episodes have Ryuko as the only fighter in the "good side." The one big exception is the episode that was used to explore one of Satsuki's underlings.

The stripper sensei and Mako are really fun while Ryuko came across as very simple in comparison. I mean she wants revenge and is a tomboy who grows kinder as time goes on and I've seen that character lots of times.

One aspect to which I'm indifferent is the fanservice. While the fanservice has its own purpose as if it were a satire, some of my friends just couldn't deal with it and quit the show as they felt the plot was ruined by it.

Last edited by sainta on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12