• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Funimation And Crunchyroll Getting Married?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
*try to avoid shipping Funi x Crunchyroll like some weirdo*
*headline about them getting married*

I'm really thinking of this as friends with benefits that's going to turn into some forbidden passionate love affair tbh
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Dude! I had no idea about YahooView! I just assumed Hulu had disappointed me and I would never see it again. So thank you so much for telling me about it! It has zero advertisement.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
What caught me off guard was FUNimation distributing Crunchyrolls titles. I would like to know if those titles will be on FUNimationNOW, or will be strictly DVD/BD only for the dub? I will also like to know what will happen with One Piece, since I watched it on FUNimation before, and would like to continue doing so moving forward if possible. I'm sure they'll answer questions at cons and interviews to come, but overall I'm pretty happy with this. To me, this means more dubs are possible from Crunchyrolls vast catalog. I really hope they get Taboo Tattoo and Art Club as well, I would like to own those two dubbed.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
The people involved in this at Funimation and Crunchyroll are strong personalities, it shows how much a worry that the direction of the market was that this happened at all.

The flip side is to not get too used to this, those strong personalities might take over at any moment and bring it all crashing down.

Mark Gosdin
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I hope Funimation adopts a new mascot because I wouldn't want to think of Crunchy-Hime in a marriage ceremony with Diaper-chan (or whatever thier mascot is).
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this partnership will spread to the rest of the world, sharing resources will be better for the companies, and it'll be better for the viewers because they won't have to subscribe to multiple services.

Anything that makes anime easier to view legally has got to be good for the industry, right?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Hopefully this partnership will spread to the rest of the world, sharing resources will be better for the companies, and it'll be better for the viewers because they won't have to subscribe to multiple services.

Anything that makes anime easier to view legally has got to be good for the industry, right?

Maybe, Maybe Not. The question is, at what price? Too high and the viewers might turn to the dark side again.

Mark Gosdin
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This partnership may last for a decade, or it may last for a single season. But in the mean time, having nearly all of the anime in one place sure is a big win for the fans. (The ones in North America, anyway.)

4 out of the 6 Funimation titles that joined Crunchyroll are available in my country (not North America or Canada). So, I'm not too upset about that. It's just the dubs that are going to be Funimation exclusive (which they have been up until now anyway), so it's not that different than before, I just have more subtitled shows to watch now.

If I'm really interested in the dub of a Crunchy show (say, Bungou Stray Dogs, Orange or Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, for example), I'm not entirely against buying the BD/ DVD release.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
In some cases having competition is healthy for the industry, but anime is such a niche that having 95% of it in one place is probably a good thing, unless they try to jack the price of subscriptions because they're the only dog in the ring. Don't do that Crunchy...mation.
Cautiously optimistic.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this could be a test run for them merging in the future.
each has a skill set that they are good at and they do not overlap in a bad way.
if they merge and keep it as 2 separate divisions of the same company it could be a very good thing for anime everywhere.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
the fees for some shows well over the US$200,000 per episode mark -- $2.6 Million for a 13-episode show

Oh my god! Things are way, way crazier than I anticipated. I guess companies learned nothing from the last anime bubble. I want to believe that those insane fees only apply to the My Hero Academias and One-Punch Mans. Because if those fees are close to the standard across the board, NISA will never publish anime again and Sentai will soon be forced out of the market.

Quote:
Short-term, Japanese licensors will not be happy about this arrangement. They can no longer play one against the other, and can probably expect a significant drop-off in license fee prices -- hopefully down to more sane and healthy levels.

But even if CR and FUNI are allowed to jointly acquire licenses, can't the Japanese licensors say "since you are now partners with more resources combined, you pay us $350,000 per episode"?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
CR and funi need to be careful not to overplay their now much stronger hand in licensing in NA.

The bubble in licensing isn't solely because of Netflix, Amazon, or Funi/CR competition over licenses, it's also because of the rise of China and Chinese streaming companies coming in and paying 6 figures themselves, just for asian rights.

If CR and Funi successfully lower prices for the NA market, all they might accomplish is making the entire NA market seem less important to the rights holders in Japan as it would be only fractionally as lucrative as the bubbling prices in asia.
So it has to be combined with cross-promotion to increase the total revenue made as well and keep the market growing, so that royalties paid out continue to grow, just to make sure that the english speaking world as a whole remains the biggest foreign market for anime.
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
As one of those fans that does want dubs and subs, I'm not thrilled about having to pay for two services (and to be honest I probably won't, sorry Crunchyroll). I do still see this as a good thing overall, especially with the licensing costs quoted. These two companies understand and embrace anime and fandom more than any others, and if it helps them compete against the big money out there, even better.

Also, I vote Funiroll.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
@samuelp

But what is so wrong with China becoming the biggest anime market outside Japan? If China is willing to pay $1,000,000 for 12 episodes, and the U.S. is only willing to pay $300,000 for the same 12 episodes, it will be stupid for Japanese companies to stop licensing to the U.S. just because they are not offering the same money as China.

Selling shows rights for $300,000 is still profit for Japanese anime companies.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Makes one wonder if further consolidation/partnerships might be forthcoming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7