• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Addresses Audio Issues on Code Geass R2 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I don't care for Geass or Escaflowne but I am interested in this giant screw up. I did some reading on a few forums, so lemme get this straight:

Geass:
-The Collector's Edition has a crooked box
-S2 audio is messed up (both in the regular and CE discs)
-Funimation denies these problems

Escaflowne:
-False advertising, people who bought the CE did not get clear cases or that extra dvd
-Only people from the kickstarter got the clear cases
-They packaged the postcards separately and those arrived damaged for most people

Is that right or am I missing something?
I'm now also hearing the cases for the retail CE are also eco-cases.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12788403#post12788403

Hopefully that doesn't end up like Danganronpa where the security tab was able to rip the inside cover and scratch the discs.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?22770&p=335260&viewfull=1#post335260

Also, with Code Geass, there are also subtitle problems.
https://twitter.com/gravitypriest/status/788200229564772352
PenguinPimp89 wrote:
Not worth arguing, @BigOnAnime is a notorious troll on anime forums, who relishes the chance to nitpick and attack Funimation at any given chance, though often times, these nit picks aren't even really truthful or valid. God forbid a Funi rep sneezes the wrong way and they'll turn it into a scandal.

Meanwhile, Sentai Filmworks is holier than thou in their eyes and can do no wrong, which is very ironic, given that Sentai Filmworks is notorious for bad/crap releases, mediocre to bad dubs, and has a generally negative reputation among the consensus of anime fans. I seriously can't take any of their critiques seriously, especially when they try to argue that Sentai is the superior licensor/distributor. Their bias is thicker than crude oil. I sometimes have a little laugh, imagining that @BigOnAnime could really be John Ledford, who's still really salty that his shady Section 23 tactic didn't work out the way he thought it would.
Oh excuse me for having something called standards and not liking the direction FUNimation has been going the past few years, with 2016 being by far their worst year thus far. FUNimation at one time was my favorite licensor. How did that change? By their quality going way down, from the releases, to their streams, to how they act on social media (For example, they posted blatant Grimgar spoilers spoiler[http://i.imgur.com/1pfOb8T.png] and compared "the struggle" to child abuse when tweeting about Erased), and a bunch of other things, so much so I made a freaking list nearly a year ago out of frustration. Some of these are just honestly nitpicks, but some others are some serious errors.
https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=779846

I didn't start disliking FUNimation out of nowhere, they caused it to happen through their actions. Something seriously has gone wrong there, and what's been going on with Code Geass and Escaflowne is further proof of that. Oh and also, did you know that FUNimation has now locked their Facebook page presumably due to the backlash they've been receiving over the past 24 hours or so? You can't make any visitor posts now. All I want from FUNimation is to improve and become more competent. Is that too much to ask? Every company makes mistakes, that is irrefutable fact, the people they have are only human, but what FUNimation has done the past few years combined is just...

Oh and I'm a Sentai Filmworks fanboy? Sorry to disappoint you, but I've had issues with them in the past (and also, I like how they were as ADV Films much more), from their translations (I included some of their shows on this list), to missing an important making of extra for Chu2koi, to not including a booklet on Chu2koi Ren, not having inside art and using those stupid lockable BD cases, to stupidly pissing Aniplex off with Persona 4 (yes, releasing your BDs the month after the JP release finished was a fantastic idea!) causing the JP audio on BD to take years to hit and being exclusive to a now OOP release (and the chances of AoA re-releasing it is extremely low), and more. I also still refuse to buy Penguindrum from them until they fix the horrible video quality and also the subtitles which I remember hearing had translation issues as well. I give any company crap when they mess up a release, especially when they later lie or try to sweep it under the rug. Like I blasted VIZ Media over Sailor Moon, especially over that horrible ANNCast where they blatantly lied and tried to sweep the video quality issues under the rug. "We have videophiles working on it" my ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Oh and also, did you know that FUNimation has now locked their Facebook page presumably due to the backlash they've been receiving over the past 24 hours or so?

I think this is an issue with facebook. Viz and Aniplex USA's comment's section have also mysteriously vanished. a couple unrelated pages i visit have this issue too
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
Oh and also, did you know that FUNimation has now locked their Facebook page presumably due to the backlash they've been receiving over the past 24 hours or so?

I think this is an issue with facebook. Viz and Aniplex USA's comment's section have also mysteriously vanished. a couple unrelated pages i visit have this issue too
Ah, just checked AoA's page, and it's like that too, weird. I don't use Facebook much to begin with so... So I guess FUNi didn't do that, but if they did, that'd just further be throwing salt in the wounds of the disgruntled fans.

[Edit]Someone just told me on Twitter Sentai's page is unaffected, so that makes it even weirder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Because it's not clearly stated anywhere I'll ask this, is the mono audio issue for the R2 release only effecting the collector's edition version or is the separate blu-ray release affected as well?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
AliceTheHare wrote:
Because it's not clearly stated anywhere I'll ask this, is the mono audio issue for the R2 release only effecting the collector's edition version or is the separate blu-ray release affected as well?
Because FUNimation would sooner jump off a cliff instead of not re-using discs, both are affected because they use the exact same discs.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
AliceTheHare wrote:

As I understand it, the collector's edition has exactly the same discs as the separate releases. They're just packaged differently. And an update to the article that goes with this discussion indicates that the R2 DVDs have the same problem (and they're definitely not part of the collector's edition). So, I think that it's almost certainly the case that all of the R2 discs have the problem.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
For the people that htink BigOnAnime is trolling, if you actually go read his blog post about Funimation's increasing list of thing's they've messed up on, it has been getting larger every year, and it's not that he wants to dislike them, he's just noticed a lot of things that they've been doing wrong, The release of Code Geass and The Vision of Escaflowne are just the more high profile screwups that people are noticing.

I noticed something was going on when both my AIR TV and Shiki packages arrived with broken cases, from two different online stores, Air from Amazon and Shiki from Funimation's store.

People who think they're just trying to be a Funi hater,BigOnAnime's not the only one who's had issues with Funi's physical releases.

I for one am going to hold off on purchasing Death Parade until I find out everything's okay with it when it comes out in November.

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Scottran7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
I got the CE not long after it came out and listening to this forum post, I decided to check this issue out. I can't find anything out of the ordinary. Sounds fine to me. I also used Cyberlink Power DVD 15 which plays Blu-rays and according to the info on screen for both seasons on all discs, it was Dolby Digital 2.0 on the audio I was listening to. So I'm thinking it might have only been certain batches of Blu-rays. I'm not an expert or anything, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain it's stereo.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
For the people that htink BigOnAnime is trolling, if you actually go read his blog post about Funimation's increasing list of thing's they've messed up on, it has been getting larger every year, and it's not that he wants to dislike them, he's just noticed a lot of things that they've been doing wrong, The release of Code Geass and The Vision of Escaflowne are just the more high profile screwups that people are noticing.
Something I do want to emphasize, and I just recently added it to the blog entry itself, some of these are just honestly nitpicks. Though if you look mainly at 2014, 2015, and 2016, you can see FUNi has gotten sloppy and has been doing some facepalm worthy stuff. This year is by far the worst.
Quote:
I noticed something was going on when both my AIR TV and Shiki packages arrived with broken cases, from two different online stores, Air from Amazon and Shiki from Funimation's store.
To be perfectly honest, that isn't an issue that affects only FUNimation. I've seen in unboxings, Sentai releases for instances have pieces of the hubs get broken. Hell, look at this on a Media Blasters release.
https://youtu.be/Q2iuN7_pD2k?t=8m10s

It has to do more with how things are shipped (and also how things go during manufacturing as well along with how items are shipped to the retailers themselves). Amazon for instance is notorious for using bubble mailers and boxes with air bags that at times don't provide much protection when the package is being handled in the mail (delivery people can be HORRIBLE). How many of the FUNimation Kickstarter rewards got ruined was mainly because of this.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?23902&p=381312&viewfull=1#post381312
Crowjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
How do I contact Funimation? [email protected] will not open for me. Is the website just down or what? Also I bought my Code Geass collectors edition at rightstuff. I called them and they gave me the same website to go to for help. They also said that all of the Collectors editions are gone. So how am I supposed to get in contact with Funimation if the site they listed for us to contact them is not even working? How am I going to prove to Funimation that I actually bought Code Geass since I did not use Funi's store to buy it in the first place? This is ridiculous .Is anyone else having problems trying to go to the site [email protected]?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Crowjack wrote:
How do I contact Funimation? [email protected] will not open for me. Is the website just down or what? Also I bought my Code Geass collectors edition at rightstuff. I called them and they gave me the same website to go to for help. They also said that all of the Collectors editions are gone. So how am I supposed to get in contact with Funimation if the site they listed for us to contact them is not even working? How am I going to prove to Funimation that I actually bought Code Geass since I did not use Funi's store to buy it in the first place? This is ridiculous .Is anyone else having problems trying to go to the site [email protected]?

[email protected] is an email address. They will probably have you send in your defective disks and then send you replacements. That's how it's worked in the past when I've had defective disks.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Crowjack wrote:

That's an email address, not a website. Just send them an email and hopefully they will get back to you. Or rightstuf will eventually get replacement discs to send out to people.
VagrantFate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Anyone's box was torn inside the shrinkwrap? I ordered from RightStuf and there's a small tear/rip on the bottom corner of my box where it's missing color. It didn't happen during shipping because it was inside the shrinkwrap. You can see the light brown color of the box underneath instead of the buildings that should be there. I contacted RightStuf but OOS and it's driving me a little crazy even though it's small it's very noticeable to me.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Funimation rolls out Code Geass, one of their biggest titles to date, and there is a glaring audio issue? I'm sorry but this is completely unacceptable.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
If they have us send in our discs for replacment, will they sent us something to mail it to them in? If I have to pay for shipping, I won't be happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6