• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin: Chronicle of Char and Sayla in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Will definitely pick this up.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story of the OVAs are based on Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's manga series, which is inspired by Yoshiyuki Tomino and Sunrise's first Gundam anime.

It's worth noting that Yoshikazu Yasuhiko was also the character designer and chief animation director for the first Gundam anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Much more affordable, but still pretty expensive for so little content.

Oh, hey, August 1st is my birthday. It's like kismet. Gotta get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Good for those who waited. I imported the standard JP editions (cost me around US$200), but I would have waited if I had known this release was coming. I am very surprised it only took a little over two years after the initial Japanese release.

penguintruth wrote:
Seriously? Let me call my friends at Sunrise and ask them to price this release at $15.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Both formats will include four discs with both English and Japanese audio, a "Chronicle of the Loum Battlefield" preview video, and an "On the Other Side of Space" music video. Pre-orders for both versions will begin on July 11.

Uh...I don't think the preorders begin in July if they're up now at Rightstuf.

Blu-ray: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-The-Origin-Chronicle-of-Char-and-Sayla-Collection-Blu-Ray
DVD: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-The-Origin-Chronicle-of-Char-and-Sayla-Collection-DVD
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Oh, hey, August 1st is my birthday. It's like kismet. Gotta get it.

You get around 4 hours of content for a little over $40. That's about the equivalent of buying 2 movies.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Still too expensive. I think I'll wait for the holidays to see if there's a good deal.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I sort of thought they'd eventually do this...

They released a regular Blu ray edition of Gundam Thunderbolt after the LE came out previously at least a half-year before!

(Had I known Thunderbolt would be released in a regular edition I probably would have saved my money for that, too!)

These new Blu rays are basically American prints of the standard edition Blu ray's they already have in Japan... (The Japanese SE Blu ray's are the same cost/MSRP as what's coming out later this year in the US... The American discs SHOULD get some discount.) Right Stuf just imported the LE editions.
I looked at getting this series but I had no interest in collecting "laser disc-sized" jackets with Japanese text I couldn't read and extra inserts I might only look at once in my life!

They'll probably retail close to $48 (on sale) at some point just like most of the domestic Gundam Blu rays have.

Still haven't decided whether I'll bother... Char is NOT one of my favorite Gundam characters.
I'm just not into sociopathic characters and the charisma of the character escapes me -- and I have seen 2 of the episodes already and at best am on the fence.
I'd rather get the Blu rays for the other UC titles and Gundam Wing first...

And if you really, really think they're going to price this much below $50 per volume you're just kidding yourself. Not gonna happen with 45-minute OVA volumes that look like they're putting the money into the series.
This is the closest I've seen Gundam come to a Macross Plus premium series since 0083... Gundam is definitely in a renaissance while I'd argue the Macross franchise is in decline unless they get somebody on board who has better ideas than Shoji Kawamori does at the moment!
Sunrise hasn't allowed Yoshiyuki Tomino to run Gundam completely into the ground like Big West has Kawamori with respect to Macross...
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The blu-ray is $42.24 on Right Stuf right now.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
You get around 4 hours of content for a little over $40. That's about the equivalent of buying 2 movies.

I suppose one reason for the cheaper price for such an amount of content is that anime is still quite niche sales wise here. If it was a mainstream and hit movie like the "Harry Potter" or the LoTR franchises, then forget it about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1