• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! X

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I wasn't prepared for how horny episode 4 is. I guess I'm also getting dense after watching too much Catarina, lol.

Same here. Wow. Catarina finally has a "dangerous (and dangerously sexy) otome game bishounen" archetype in the harem.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 am Reply with quote
I was happy to see that the princes, including Jeffrey, are all good and friendly with each other. With regard to Susanna rather being at work, maybe not based on much but looking at the difference between how she has reacted to Catarina compared to not really seeming anything with Jeffrey (a lack of any tension), it kind of seems like he might not actually be her type. Would the term be a "beard"?

I would say it is a bit against the grain of what expected to find out that Jeffrey really did consider his younger siblings his number one priority.
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
I am fascinated by the re-appearance of Atsuko (A-chan) in the tag. It goes with her prominent cameo in the opener.

Her reference to "completing" Geord's route is interesting: normally, that would mean Maria won him over, and Catarina meets a Bad End. Yet, she appears to be commenting on Catarina's romantic progress with Geord, and implying that it has reached a stable plateau.

Does this mean we will see similar progress-to-a-stable-plateau with the rest of Catarina's harem (particularly including the women)?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
I am fascinated by the re-appearance of Atsuko (A-chan) in the tag. It goes with her prominent cameo in the opener.

Her reference to "completing" Geord's route is interesting: normally, that would mean Maria won him over, and Catarina meets a Bad End. Yet, she appears to be commenting on Catarina's romantic progress with Geord, and implying that it has reached a stable plateau.

Does this mean we will see similar progress-to-a-stable-plateau with the rest of Catarina's harem (particularly including the women)?

I thought that it was implied that maybe we are going to get a flashback to Catarina in her previous life, to maybe what she talked to her friend after completing some of the routes.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
michizure wrote:

I thought that it was implied that maybe we are going to get a flashback to Catarina in her previous life, to maybe what she talked to her friend after completing some of the routes.

Except Catarina never finished Geord's route in her previous life. Her last message to Atsuko was even asking for help on that route.
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7: Every once in a while, this show gets me with the laugh-out-loud moments. The instant meeting of the minds between Maid Anne and Butler Anne (Adam?) was one of those moments.

I was impressed enough with the voice acting for that segment that I had to watch the credits to confirm that the regular voice actors did, in fact, voice their gender-swapped versions. (Since the show hasn't been shy about using different VAs for their child versions, I don't think this was a given.) Although Keith's struggled a bit -- on purpose, for the funny? -- they all really nailed it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Was the Dollhouse episode in the light novels? Don't remember it.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

No these past 2 episodes are anime original.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

No these past 2 episodes are anime original.

I think last week's episode was cobbled together from a couple of different short stories, but this week was anime original. (Or in an as-yet-untranslated book.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I have a huge love of gender-swap stuff, which I have later attached to my own gender. And although Mary's bit is probably just how the social structure of her society works, Keith's has me raise an eyebrow if there would be a bit more to them.

It otherwise sounds like some fun ideas for characters. Geordo playing the ojou-sama with a fan, somewhat like the original Catarina. Mary playing the fact that they are both men to do skinship. Alan the kind of standard tsundere girl, but probably still competitive. And Mary a sweet homebody boy that bakes, but still wants to be buff. Anyway, they all still looked beautiful.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
This episode was fun, but a bit reminiscent of the getting trapped in a book episode from last season.

I can understand Keith gender swapping himself and Catarina, but it's odd he would also dream about everyone else swapping too. Maybe that's how he "justified" it to himself?

Raphael dreaming about a better work place is a bit sad ^^; It was also a bit annoying to have the doll be right there, behind Raphael, yet Catarina and Anne (mostly Anne), not notice it while the camera held on it so many times. It also would have been nice for Catarina to "defeat" the doll more on purpose, though I liked the method was to pull out it's key.

I'm really not sure what to think about Maria's dream Laughing
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'm really not sure what to think about Maria's dream Laughing

For all the buff drag queens in anime wanting to be dainty, it is a little bit refreshing to see the quintessential girly girl wanting to be buff. I imagine doing any kind of baking without a mixer is enough to make a serious baker wish for the physique to make it easier.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've always loved dollhouses – the more intricate, the better, possibly because I read The Borrowers way too often as a child.

You and me both. I'm a sucker for miniatures. Very Happy I probably spent an hour looking at Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. I think I remember a similar lost in miniland experience with the dollhouse at the Smithsonian's History Museum. So I think you will enjoy this thread (be sure to click on the pics to see all the amazing detail).

I did enjoy this episode, but it seemed like we'd been here before.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So I think you will enjoy this thread (be sure to click on the pics to see all the amazing detail).

Holy crap, that miniature house is amazing! (And we have that white blanket with the stripes - Dad used to keep it on the boat.) Thank you!!!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
A cute detail about Keith's dream that goes easily unnoticed: below the whackiness of the whole genderbent situation, the characters and their relationships are exactly the same. Keith's ideal world is a slightly different version of what he already has.

Something that I'm not much a fan of is how since the end of S1 the "bisexual harem" pretense has dropped considerably, with the boys being pushed to the foreground as serious pretenders (and a couple more added in this seaosn and the game) while the girls... well: Sophia dropped out in favor of rooting for Nicol, Mary is comedy relief (Keith, Geord and her might get similar comedy bits, but where the boys get some additional progress and "sensual" moments, Mary just doesn't) and Maria has faded into the background, which feels pretty odd after S1's opening almost pushed this as a yuri series with Bakarina x Maria as the OTP.
At least in the most recent episodes the girls and their desires have come a bit more to the forefront and the bachelor contest has been put on pause.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4