• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:11 am Reply with quote
So, the most interesting thing for me this arc is the enemy. Touji was far from your average person, but despite him having zero curse energy or other special similar powers he relies mostly on sheer skill. The fact that he was able to best two very powerful sorcerers with just that makes the world a bit more interesting. He is not the first in the series who shows just how far sheer skill can get you, yet I think he has reached the highest point out of all of them so far. It is refreshing in a world were most enemies casually whip out all kinds of powers and domains.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:29 am Reply with quote
Not quite correct. Fushigoro Touji is in the same situation as Maki Zen'in in season one. No magic power, but in exchange she has superhuman physical ability to compensate. Without his heavenly pact (it's even referenced in this week's episode), the superhuman speed and strength shown by Touji would be impossible.

Not taking anything anyway from his excellent skill with weapons and combat sense, but this isn't just "a mere human with superior skill" taking on Getou and Gojou.

[EDIT: Condescension removed. -TK]

Last edited by Harleyquin on Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
You are right, he has superhuman qualities due to the pact, but nothing like a domain or other overpowered abilities (compared to sorcerers anyway). I am very impressed how he uses those and his wit to beat opponents who on paper are way better than him specs/abilities wise. It is a waste on how he ended up using all that skill....but oh well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:32 am Reply with quote
I rejoiced when Toji's body got the giant paper hole cutter treatment. Serves you right you despicable killer of a teenage girl. May you rot in Hell. Do not like that guy.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
Agreed, but you gotta admit, the man had skills/wit and that is a refreshing enemy compared to the powerful monsters that usually go berserk while relying purely on raw power in the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:38 am Reply with quote
*grabs smurky turkey by the lapels*

Listen, I'm not gonna say anything positive about this guy, okay??? He killed a character I liked! He gets no props from me!

Wink

(But seriously, yes, I know what you mean.)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of his character's effectiveness comes from being voiced by Takehito Koyasu. That guy is so good at playing really over-the-top characters. He was over-the-top maniacal as Dio in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, over-the-top ridiculous as Kuroyanagi in Yakitate Japan!!, over-the-top flamboyant in Saber Marionette, and in just three episodes, over-the-top cold, calculated, and conniving in JJK. The dude is a legend, in my book. I'm actually sorry to see him get off'd so soon.

By the way, I love how pretty much every character in this show is somehow over-powered, but also not useless in their own way. Everyone has a purpose. It's like a better written version of Dragon Ball and Bleach. Not only is it flashy and stylish, there's a good bit of implied lore, but without the absurd power scaling. And we haven't even gotten back to the whole Itadori and Sukuna stuff, yet.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:48 am Reply with quote
28:

Nope, I still don't understand how Gojo's powers work.

/uncultured swine
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:15 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
28:

Nope, I still don't understand how Gojo's powers work.

Dude, his already awesome powers underwent a level up when he learned to bifurcate that universal yang energy and mo(ebius)alize it into a posicosmic feedback loop so that he could turn it back on itself and internalize the eternal external and transpirate his yin deficit into an expanding verdant anti-abyss rather than a life consuming vacuum..

Geez, try to keep up.

Well, okay, I might not really have understood it either, but I got the dayum! Bam! Boom! Your Mom, @$$h0le part of it just fine. As Smurky and Blood both noted from different angles, the cold blooded lengths Touji went to in order to create a situation where Gojo was vulnerable made Gojo’s comeback one of the most satisfying reverse beatdowns that I’ve seen in a while.

And apparently there was a spiritual awakening of sorts involved too, though Gojo was too overcome vibing on his brush with godhood to really process it. Something to do with perceiving the way all things are connected, while Seguru was starting to realize the horrible vulnerability in actually caring about all the fragile and flawed people he's been mouthing platitudes about protecting. It was easy back when it seemed like everything was in his control.

I thought the show did a really great job showing these first steps in Gojo and Seguru's switching of pole positions (which we know will happen cos of the movie). I also thought it was interesting that Seguru will later borrow parts of Touji's strategy for dealing with Gojo though he'll only be trying to weaken and delay him if I'm remembering right.

There was lots of great symbolic imagery with that blood colored reflective doorway that Gojo and Seguru both went through from opposite directions. The way Seguru was casting a small pit shaped shadow at his feet while standing in a room of white light, etc.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 28: Hidden Inventory 4

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:28 pm Reply with quote

This episode serves as the aftermath to the previous arc, and it connects the last dots to the movie and the first season. Almost every question from season one and the movie that could be answered by looking into Gojou and Getou's high-school careers has been answered, and those who were chomping at the bit to see the series return to the present with the crew of the first season as the main highlight will get their wish. Was five weeks of content too long for the anti-flashback crew to stomach? Looking at the news bulletin, next arc doesn't start until end-August, so plenty of time for viewers to digest what they've seen with two recap episodes and an off-week to come.

Does Getou Suguru deserve sympathy? One can clearly see the push factors; the final scene with the cult last week, his brief chat with the slacker Special-Grade, the death of his positive, enthusiastic junior, the ultimate futility of taking on the mission for Tengen and his own innate prejudices and powers which left unchecked because of solitude were allowed to force the decision from him. Having watched the flashback arc so dismissed by some on this thread with zero expectations, I can understand why Getou Suguru changed from his high school first year stance to his movie outlook. I don't need to empathise with him, but the progression is clear and he's no longer the 2D villain he's made out to be.

Gojou Satoru on the other hand didn't slack off either having returned from the dead. Having lost and somehow regained the opportunity to avenge it, he's certainly put in the hard yards. I expect when he spoke to Megumi he had more or less 80-90% of his full arsenal compared to his current position as a teacher. His outlook has also changed: he's still arrogant because of his capabilities but now understands he can't do everything on his own and needs friends who can share the workload. He's lost one of the most powerful friends he had, so he has to make more from elsewhere.

The scene with Fushiguro Megumi is really loaded, especially from what the chatter is from the source material fans. For me, it's enough to understand what exactly he told Megumi when they first met and how that started the relationship which persists to the present day. Unlike his cousins, Megumi avoided being exploited by the Zen'in clan the same way the sisters are thanks to Gojou's intervention. As of season one he's still not as strong as Gojou would like, but his potential is already recognised by Sukuna in season one and that's something to acknowledge.

So how is this next arc going to progress now that the action is back to the present day? Gojou Satoru has much more of a prominent role in this adaptation, so odds are it's going to be about him in some capacity. Or will his students once again seize their chance in the limelight?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:12 am Reply with quote
It is hard not to understand the despair that Getou feels. There is no end in sight to the curse problem so they are just endlessly trying to solve issues as they pop up while losing more and more sorcerors. There also also some experiences with the very worst aspects of humanity. His approach is rather extreme, though I also fail to think of a different strategy to possibly end the whole cycle. You can recruit as many talented students as you want and train them up to be sorcerors, but it will never be enough and you will need to add new ones for those that are constantly being lost.

Oh well, time for a month long break.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:16 am Reply with quote
29:

Ah yes, the one episode I was looking forward to this whole time.

And this is how it happened, isn't it? How Geto turned to the Dark Side of the Force. The first four episodes are a subplot that showed how Geto changed in direction from helping the weak to basically killing them unless they become one of his kind. Another is illustrating how Gojo's powers work, and why Geto is able to figure out a way to contain it in the current timeline.

It's a combination of sheer disillusionment (at first he felt he was sure why he was doing what he did... until he didn't especially after the subplot), burnout (uncanny how his sentiments are similar to people IRL and their burnout at work), losing his friends defending that don't seem worth defending, and wanting to save humanity in a very twisted way.

I must admit, Tsukumo's appearance felt incredibly convenient. She was the one who planted the idea in Geto that killing non-sorcerors to get rid of cursed spirits in the first place. If they hadn't met, what would have happened? Maybe Geto still would have turned to the dark side, but this was the critical moment that turned Geto into what he is. But it's interesting: so does this mean that Geto is teaming up with cursed spirits to ultimately get rid of cursed energy (and well, cursed spirits eventually)?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:57 am Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Episode 29: Premature Death

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:12 am Reply with quote
As one of the viewers who initially was not happy about a five episode flashback preceding a return to the main story, I can say I've been won over quite handily. It will be enjoyable one day in the future to re-watch these five episodes and JJK 0 in one marathon session. So I guess we have two season 1 recap episodes and then the main story starts again? As I've said before, I actually am looking forward to the recaps to bring me up to speed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14