• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Voice Actor Tōru Furuya Admits to 4-Year Affair With Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
What a disgusting, heartbreaking story.

MomoCon and TokuSpirits have jointly canceled his Momo appearance and TokuSpirits has cut all ties with him. I wonder what kind of domestic professional consequences he will face.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:09 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
He admitted that he hit her once over an argument, and he admitted that he forced her to have abortion.

In my opinion they should get rid of his character in detective conan.

Why should they get rid of his character? The character didn’t do anything, the VA did. He will be replaced by another VA.

This character is kind of a special case it's actually based on him. spoiler[His name is Rei Furuya and his alias in the show is Amuro Tooru.] That being said I feel like he's too important a character to be written off but can probably be recast.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:15 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
He admitted that he hit her once over an argument, and he admitted that he forced her to have abortion.

Why should they get rid of his character? The character didn’t do anything, the VA did. He will be replaced by another VA.

The character was made for him, Amuro's true name is Furuya Rei..having different va just doesn't fit. Although not gonna harm the story if they changed him but I'd like to see Gin figuring out Amuro's true identity and finish him out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:16 am Reply with quote
turnsie wrote:
WatcherZer wrote:
I can understand not wanting to become a father again at (in 2021) 67. They were together for another two years after the abortion breaking up in Sep 2023.

He, as a 67 year old man at the time, had plenty of precautions he could've taken to avoid causing a pregnancy, rather than force someone into terminating. Not wanting to have a newborn at that age and the continuation of the relationship after the termination has very little to do with the fact that he cheated on his spouse, had a years long affair with a fan, and physically abused the woman he was having an affair with.

Hope that helps.

Yep. I get that there were reasons on his end, but there were a lot of choices he made leading up to it that easily could have been avoided and not gotten to that point. I can't see it as anything other than a series of self-centered choices that left others with the biggest consequences.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
Man... you think the premise and impact of Gundam would have taught him something. Really disappointing. I don't care at all about the affair stuff, it's the hitting and the abortion that bothers me. I really hope this stays with him for the rest of his life and he changes from it. If he really does care, that's punishment enough, if not, take his prized character voice (Amuro Ray) away from him, just like what he did to that woman.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
This is reprehensible
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:21 am Reply with quote
Sad story, still it is good that he apologized.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
Seeing some confusion on this:

Te wo ageru literally means raising your hand. It can be used when answering questions in class, surrendering, or when you're about to hit someone. By extension, it's also a euphemism for actually hitting someone. This is why you're seeing some sources report he hit her and some sources, like ANN's article, imply he didn't actually hit her.

Personally, I took this usage to mean he did hit her. The tone of the apology isn't trying to soft the deeds it describes.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Since Japan is not a Judeo-Christian country, they don't have the same hangups about abortion as other countries

Abortion was banned in the late 19th century and is still tough (and expensive) for pregnant people to obtain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/06/14/japan-abortion-pill-women-reproductive-rights/
AfianySnow29802

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I've always been a little suspicious of him after he allegedly divorced Mami Koyama because she wouldn't give up her career to make babies for him. To be fair, it was an amicable split and they still work together on stuff.

Then he married Satomi Majima and successfully got her to permanently quit her rising seiyū career to be a baby factory. I hope she goes back to work now just to spite him. My sympathy is entirely with her, not the mistress.

Are you kicking me? the mistress was also harm of all of this I get she shouldn't have done that but still..... Mad.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
When I hear stories like this about celebrities, politicians, and other notable individuals, it makes me wonder, "Were they always an awful person, but they've managed to hide it all this time, or did they become an awful person after getting drunk on the fame, wealth, influence, and power?"

Fame, wealth, and power encourage supremely selfish behavior. Not all who have them fall victim to that, but the ones who resist it are more the exception than the rule.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AfianySnow29802

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:14 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:

Or just find a new voice actor lol. Mad.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 am Reply with quote
Dear god. Now even the Zeta Gundam novel sounds realistic.

Now I get why people call Kira Jesus. Even his actor is a saint.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
It's so disappointing to hear this. I hoped he was a competent and respectable human behind the scenes. I always loved hearing his distinct voice and would even look forward to his performances, but in any case, this is unforgivable and he should be punished.

I hope everyone involved will be okay and have a brighter future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
beeperlove

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:46 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Don't blame the victim. That's not cool. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6