• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Another fantastic episode.

And the great roll the voice cast is on continues IMO with another excellent installment, and Lan Fan's voice actress hasn't gotten mention yet with minimal screen time so now's a good time since she did a great job.

Glorious fight scenes once again too.

The spoiler[Al vs. Scar] stuff was totally slick, and I loved the different ways everyone beat on spoiler[Gluttony], like spoiler[Scar being his typical badass and] slamming him into the ground one-handed and spoiler[Ling's] moves on him.

Probably remove the spoiler tags tomorrow after the late night re-airing, just to be safe.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
The voice of ling has definitley improved and no longer sounds like his trying to be funny every line. Trina Nishimura was excellent as Lan Fan. After a little bit of a lull, the excellent quality pf this dub continues.

The series has definitley taken this series to the next level and we where rewarded with a ton of great scenes.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I last saw ep. 23, but I remember this scene looking the best. Ryo-timo is the one responsible, as mentioned in the comments. See here and here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Last night's episode (Jul. 17, 2010--"The Girl on the Battlefield") was excellent!

Even though I vaguely remember reading all this in the manga, the animation, especially the fight choreography, kept everything really fresh and exciting. Al vs. Scar was incredible-it's great to see Al fight!

When I first saw the ep's title, I assumed the girl would be Winry, but it was May, and she made a shocking impression on everyone on screen.

Re: VA's--does anyone else think Todd Haberkorn's Ling sounds like Vic Mignogna's Ed? Sometimes I have trouble telling their voices apart.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

When I first saw the ep's title, I assumed the girl would be Winry, but it was May, and she made a shocking impression on everyone on screen.

Winry was on the battlefield in her own way...she battled herself about shooting Scar. Plus the battle of dealing with her feelings about losing her parents, Hughes and possible Ed and Al. You probably remember that the last sight she ever saw of the ones that she loves is their backs. And she always sees Ed and Al's backs as they are walking away from her...and she NEVER knows if they are coming back to her or not.

Quote:
Re: VA's--does anyone else think Todd Haberkorn's Ling sounds like Vic Mignogna's Ed? Sometimes I have trouble telling their voices apart.
Yeah, I had a WTH?! moment and wondered about that. Hopefully the ADR director will fix that in the next episode.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Never had that problem. Whenever my hand automatically reaches for the remote to turn down the volume, I know it is a Haberkorn character.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Once again the dub is excellent, I especially love Lt. General Raven, who really did a good job of the various scenes. While I initially had problems with the new Tim Marcoh, I don't after seeing that scene with Envy. This episode also has one of the best scenes in the series with the boardroom which is done to perfection, I can't wait until these thirteen episodes are on sale for Blu-ray.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
I loved that episode! I have seen it a while ago subbed, I wonder about the dub though. I was not fond of Scar in the fisrt few episodes he was in, I thought his voice was dry and emotionless and compared to Dameon Clarke in the first FMA, did the new voice actor work on this?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Once again the dub is excellent, I especially love Lt. General Raven, who really did a good job of the various scenes. While I initially had problems with the new Tim Marcoh, I don't after seeing that scene with Envy. This episode also has one of the best scenes in the series with the boardroom which is done to perfection, I can't wait until these thirteen episodes are on sale for Blu-ray.

Same here, can't wait till that second set comes.

The guy they got doing Gluttony is just as awesomely creepy, hilarious and simultaneously scary all at the same time as ever, he's still so perfect, and Envy was really good too.

The guy who played Raven did a great job getting you properly off-guard in the scene with him and Mustang, that was great work between the two of them. Yeah, the boardroom scene, a great spoiler["oh shit" moment] indeed.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
I really disagree. This past episode was one of the worst episodes of the dub I've heard.

First of all, Envy's voice and delivery are both terrible and when he's in scene with Edward and they're screaming at each other, it's like a contest over who has a worse voice or worse voice actor. It's painful.

Marcoh's new voice is really lame. I guess it makes a sort of sense due to him being kind of downtrodden through most of the story, I miss Brice Armstrong's more fatherly voice.

Raven and Mrs. Bradley sound kind of stock, especially the latter. Whoever is voicing Mrs. Bradley in this dub sounds like she has no voice acting experience whatsoever. It's so robotic.

Pride is barely audible, for some reason, and when you can hear him, the effect sounds bad.

Even Willingham and Clinkenbeard's Roy and Riza sounded a little off in this episode.

The only pluses are Maxey Whitehead's excellent Alphonse and Todd Haberkorn's improving Ling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I really disagree. This past episode was one of the worst episodes of the dub I've heard.

First of all, Envy's voice and delivery are both terrible and when he's in scene with Edward and they're screaming at each other, it's like a contest over who has a worse voice or worse voice actor. It's painful.

Marcoh's new voice is really lame. I guess it makes a sort of sense due to him being kind of downtrodden through most of the story, I miss Brice Armstrong's more fatherly voice.

Raven and Mrs. Bradley sound kind of stock, especially the latter. Whoever is voicing Mrs. Bradley in this dub sounds like she has no voice acting experience whatsoever. It's so robotic.

Pride is barely audible, for some reason, and when you can hear him, the effect sounds bad.

Even Willingham and Clinkenbeard's Roy and Riza sounded a little off in this episode.

The only pluses are Maxey Whitehead's excellent Alphonse and Todd Haberkorn's improving Ling.

Hmm... I've got to disagree on your overall take, though I do agree with a few things.

Gluttony was a huge strength here to the dub with a great presence and his always unique voice, not sure how that wasn't a plus given his prominence and the feel of the various tones of his voice to the episode.

I liked Envy's performance a lot especially during the scene with Marcoh and don't really understand your continued problem with the appropriate yelling, it sounded good, well done emotionally and character-wise, fit the animation of them yelling at each other over decent distance, and I could easily make out their speech. They're strongly yelling at each other in the middle of a fight, ofcourse at times it sounds like they are having a shouting match it's natural and certainly between those two, and it sounded good IMO. And there were nicely delivered calm lines in between for them as well like when Ed found out they shouldn't be eaten and when Envy tried to calm Ed down before Ed wouldn't listen.

I do agree about Marcoh though, not that this new Marcoh has really had any chance to be "fatherly" but since he hasn't been around much he tends to throw me off at the very least for that reason.

Disagree about Raven, atleast in those few lines, loved his reminiscing scene with Mustang, sounded good for getting people off-guard too. I dunno about Mrs. Bradley, but she was rather reserved and bland so you could be right.

But you haven't liked Pride and this actor's particular voice for him at all so hardly a surprise you didn't like him again, I thought he was quite good again though, he was great during the attack on Ling and particularly Lan Fan and hearing his voice in the boardroom was effectively "oh shit" to me.

I'm not sure what you didn't like about Mustang and Hawkeye, their back and forth was as good as usual, and the part where Mustang orders her to stay and then she says no and then he convinces her to stay seemed right on.

Yup, Al and Ling were really good. Maxey has really totally done the seemingly impossible.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:47 am; edited 2 times in total
SoandSo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I have to agree, parts of this episode were painful to listen to. I have no idea what happened with Envy in Brotherhood. It's the exact same actress and she absolutely made that role in the first series, giving him a sinister rasp and uncomfortable androgynous bent to make the character palpably unsettling, theatening, grody, unhinged and almost sympathetically pitiful in his sheer seething rage. To me, it was a standout in a dub full of standouts, so I don't know if it's lack of practice or age or what, but she's gone waaaay downhill with the character from her first appearance and hasn't at all improved.

Even Mignonga seems off his game here. I'd typically argue with PT any other day about Vic, but he's right this time, something's terribly wrong. But I'm going to hadge my blame for both of their lesser performances on the terrible writing more than anything. Some of the lines they have to chew on and spit out in this episode are just ugh. They're so off-sounding and mechinical and bland, it reads like a painfully literal translation of the japanese script. I've seen day-of-airing fansubs that sounded less awkward. I don't know what it is with Funimation's scriptwriting and translation work these days,(though it's not at all limited to them) I think I first noticed it way back when Eureka Seven was airing and something about the roundabout, awkwardly phrased dialogue just bugged the hell outta me. "This isn't the time to be talking about a thing like that in a place like this." Wow. No human being talks like that. I guess you can only do so much when this is what you have to work with. We need more Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's. Anime hyper
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
I have to agree, parts of this episode were painful to listen to. I have no idea what happened with Envy in Brotherhood. It's the exact same actress and she absolutely made that role in the first series, giving him a sinister rasp and uncomfortable androgynous bent to make the character palpably unsettling, theatening, grody, unhinged and almost sympathetically pitiful in his sheer seething rage. To me, it was a standout in a dub full of standouts, so I don't know if it's lack of practice or age or what, but she's gone waaaay downhill with the character from her first appearance and hasn't at all improved.

Since I really thought that scene was great especially thanks to her, how was her scene with Marcoh not this? I thought she was great there and captured that same delivery.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:

In my opinion, she was terrible as Envy in the first series, and is the only voice that has actually gotten worse in Brotherhood. I think Vic Mignogna's Edward has been the same since the first series ended. That is, bad, but at least not any worse than before.

I don't know, everything rubbed me wrong about the performances in this episode, even from the voices I like, except for Maxey Whitehead's Alphonse.

As for the script, I'm fine with it. I'd rather they have a really accurate script than that awful "spicing up" Funimation does in its scripts where they try to add their own lines and jokes, but they end up ruining the script because Funimation writers aren't nearly talented enough for them to succeed in that. Or, not normally, anyway.

Just look at some of the crap lines they inserted into the first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ArsenicSteelNever had that problem. Whenever my hand automatically reaches for the remote to turn down the volume, I know it is a Haberkorn character.[/quote]

Putting the issue aside, I remember that a year or two ago someone posted a question about the voice acting process and he actually logged in and posted a very nice reply, being in a position to answer the question. In other words, we know he reads the forum from time to time (or at least has in the past), so you might want to play nice and in general not write anything about a VA here you wouldn't say to them personally.

Back on topic - The boardroom scene was awesome. Talk about squirming in your seat!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 28