• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What got you hooked into anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmmanuelZorg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
It was Voltron which i watched when i was 4 in 1985 then i rediscovered anime in 1993 watching "Vampire Hunter D" on TBS at age 12 then i loved the genre after reading an article on anime in Newsweek magazine then i watched "Akira", loved it and i became a fan since then at age 14 in 1995.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm part of the new-to-mid-age fanbase I guess. My first anime to my knowledge was Pokemon, but I don't really count that as my first. Not because I hold anything against the title, but because I didn't know what anime was while I was into it really, it was just a cartoon to me.

Then I was co-erced by a friend into watching Dragon Ball Z. At first, I really didn't get into it, because the episode I saw (the infaomous crabs on Namek, Ocean dub) wasn't at all what I'd been told the show was like. Then I really got into the final fight with Frieza, Super Saiyan Goku was a clincher. I almost got out of the fandom with the Garlic Jr. Saga, but then I caught the bit about Frieza still being alive. Once Trunks took care of him easily and said there was worse yet to come, I was hooked...on DBZ at least.

Both from watching DBZ on Toonami and buying tapes of it, I was exposed to more and more anime by name alone at least. I watched a bunch of the Toonami run stuff especially. Once I got to using the internet more, going to look up those titles led to learning more about them, and hearing of other titles.

So basically my entire fandom story has been one big snowball effect - the more I get into one, the more I learn about other ones I want to see. Everytime I think the snowball can't get any bigger, there I am with a new title I haven't even seen or read yet that I'm really excited for.

The life of a nerd is good sometimes. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Like a lot of people, my first exposure was watching a decent chunk of Pokemon, though at the time I thought of it along the lines of "that goofy Japanese cartoon" instead of as something called "anime." I watched a few random episodes of various series on the old Toonami weekday block; the one that caught my eye the most was probably .hack//SIGN, since I'd never really considered an animated series where the characters did little but stand around and talk to each other, and the whole MMORPG setting looked interesting. Unfortunately, contrary to many other people's experiences, the few episodes of DBZ I came across actually pushed me away from anime, since they seemed to confirm all of the negative stereotypes I held about what "anime" was; the whole "twenty minutes of big-haired goofy characters grunting and yelling at each other" was kind of a big turn-off. (To this day, I can't bring myself to watch that series. Razz) It wasn't until about five years or so ago that I happened to stumble across [adult swim]'s late-night block, and had the massive good fortune to get dropped cold-turkey into gems like Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Big O. It was right then and there that I realized what this anime thing was truly capable of, and I haven't looked back since.
Truered

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
My first experience was Pokemon, but at the time I wasn't much aware of anime etc, it was just another animated show like the Simpsons and South park that I enjoyed.

I'm relatively new to anime still, became a fan at the start of 2007. There were two main factors that got me interested. One was a Studio Ghibli season that I decided to watch...it gave me a sense of childlike wonder when watching...and also helped to crack some of what I'd heard about anime from places online...

The second thing was randomly downloading and watching (from google video of all places) AMV Hell 3 shortly after it came out. When I first saw it I thought it was a 70 minute film someone had animated and thought it might be interesting. I soon realized I was wrong, but it caught my interest. Particularly strange things in the Evangelion and Azumanga section.
Toxic Jackal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
When I was younger, I watched the kiddy anime(not really knowing it was anime at the time) like Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Zoids Fuzors, etc. I also vaguely remember watching anime movies like Kiki's Delivery Service(don't know if that's the correct spelling), but for me, those were quite rare on tv. For me the first big leap came in high school where I actually transitioned to mostly adult anime(roughly 4 years ago), such as Record of Lodoss War and Berserk. Hooray for the internet!
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
School started too early for me to watch Pokémon, and I never got into Dragon Ball Z. I think my first series was either Gundam Wing or Outlaw Star. I got into Tenchi Muyo around that time, as well.
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
When I was young I watched a lot of anime on toonami. Mainly Robotech and Ruruoni Kenshin. I then pretty much went anime neutral for a long time. Eventually I saw Evangelion, but didn't like the ending so much.

For the next few years I was on and off anime, watching most of some shows, but never finishing like Trigun and Ergo Proxy.

Last year I broke up with my girlfriend and found a lot of time on my hands. I went back to anime with Hajime No Ippo. I guess that's where my current fascination and enjoyment with anime started.

I probably also should add that I also went to Japan this summer, so my anime watching desire was increased ten fold before I went in order to pick up some easy sayings.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
EmmanuelZorg wrote:
It was Voltron which i watched when i was 4 in 1985 then i rediscovered anime in 1993 watching "Vampire Hunter D" on TBS at age 12 then i loved the genre after reading an article on anime in Newsweek magazine then i watched "Akira", loved it and i became a fan since then at age 14 in 1995.

In future posts, please at least attempt to use proper grammar. (Capitalization, periods, etc.) It is expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nomed44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
EmmanuelZorg wrote:

i saw Escaflowne, voltron, and others on Fox Kids

i REALLY didn't get into anime the night i got electrocuted

thats the night i think USA or CBS, i cant remember the channel

it was late at night, and i watched Half of Vampire Hunter D, then i guess the towns cable went out, anyway i was messing with my cable wires, trying to see what was wrong, so i could watch vampire hunter D, i didn't know what kind of cartoons they were backed then, but i liked them

anyway long story short, i got electrocuted that night, about 4 of my Family Members Saw the Living Room was Lite up in a bright blue, i do mean the whole room was blue, they all pulled me back off and away from the cable wire

anyway a couple of years later, i would go to my mom and stepdads house, custody rights or something about visitation, anyway, they had a Hastings store, i loved going there all the time, played alot of Snes games and what not.

anyway i found Vampire hunter D, watched it all, as well i saw Akira Right after, and Record of Lodoss war

man it was fun, watching Evangelion on those crappy 20 to 80 meg Real time player videos, im sure everyone knows those 56k days

anyway time to leave before i make myself out to be a bigger idiot =P
Anumari

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
Well i would have to say that outlaw star was the show to get me hooked. But would also have to give props for the adult swim line-up on cartoon network back in the day.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
I have always loved animation in general, but never got into anime. Well, not until a friend lent me some VHS tapes of Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, and Ninja Scroll. I started with Ghost in the Shell, and was so blown away, I watched the rest in one sitting. Back to back to back. I've been hooked ever since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
For me, plain and simple, it was Cowboy Bebop when it was shown on Adult swim. Ah, yes I remember it very well, it was a Saturday night and as i flipping through the channels I ran into episode 2 'stray dog strut'. After seeing what Spike did for Ein I was sold! I just thought to myself "wow! what a cool bad @$$ with a heart of gold"... yep, after that I was on anime like white on rice. Anime exclamation Of course that wasn't the first time I had seen anime but that is what got me hooked. Very Happy
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
I know exactly what got me hooked on anime.

Flashback now to the by-gone years of the early 1990s. I was a 6th grade kid who watched the Disney Afternoon every day after school, and devoured all the Saturday morning cartoon line ups put in front of me. One Saturday morning I'm thumbing through the channels and hit on the Sci-Fi channel. And there are showing this amazing animated show. With giant tanks, and one wheeled motorcycles, and a chick who's half naked zipping up a motorcycle jacket. And its about a bunch of teenage freedom fighters fighting against an occupying army. My jaw hits the floor, what is this? I must have more.

Well unfortunately after that, 'anime' (which I didn't even know the term yet), fell off my radar. Until of course the late 90s hit with the double barrel force of Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z were assaulting American airwaves. Anime is now a household name. I like Dragon Ball Z somewhat, but find Pokemon and Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing and the Ronan Warriors to be kinda bad. But my memory comes back about that anime movie I watched all those years ago, and now that I've graduated high school and have a job, I have some money to go try out some stuff.

So I go hunting for that movie of my youth, and strike pay dirt. Its, THE VENUS WARS and I get the DVD and its as awesome as I remember it. But suddenly I realize, there are a ton of Sci-FI anime movies and TV series out there just like it. Ghost in the Shell, Macross Plus, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise. I can't get enough of this stuff. I love sci-fi. I've read sci-fi novels my entire life, war, hard, fantastic, all types. And Anime just delivers the type of semi-hard action science fiction I crave.

So yeah, firmly credit The Venus Wars as what got me 'Hooked' on anime. Because with out that vauge memory of it, I wouldn't have gone hunting for more and more science fiction animes, and would have quickly grown born with the never ending Shōnen of Pokemon/DBZ/and the like.
sakurafice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
my brother broguht back naruto from japan Anime hyper
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quote
Like a fair amount of people, my first exposure to amine was Pokemon and Digimon, but I didn't know it was anime,. Back then it was just another really cool cartoon.

It wasn't until about five years later that I really got into it. It was a Saturday night and I was absolutely bored out of my mind. I started flipping through the channels hoping I would find something that could keep my attention for more than five minutes. After a seemingly unsuccessful search, I came across Yu Yu Hakusho and thought to myself 'Wow, this cool! It's edgier than what I'm used to seeing and the characters are awesome. I've got to have more of this stuff, I love it!"

From that day on, I've been hooked. I've discovered so many great titles since then and have no plans to stop any time soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6