• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can You Survive? Anime Marathon Challenge: Nov. 6th thru Nov. 15th

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to a special Can You Survive? Anime Marathon Challenge! Got a backlog you wanna get rid of? Want to discuss some old shows with other challengers? Want to see who can be the best, like no one ever was? Well, here's your chance!

WHEN?
The challenge will start on Friday, November 6th at 8:00 PM in your timezone and will end on Sunday, November 15th at 8:00 PM in your timezone.

WHY?
For fun! To knock out your backlog! To get the chance to win one of two gift cards (see more details below)! The reasons are numerous and there's no right or wrong reason to do so.

HOW?
Just choose one, two, three, or more series from the eligible list and watch them! Legal streaming links will be provided for each anime where possible. Anime threads for each series will be available for you to post your thoughts in. Post in this thread the name of the series and how many episodes you watched.

ELIGIBLE ANIME LIST
See this post for the list of eligible anime.

I HAVE 2 CHANCES TO WIN A GIFT CARD/CERTIFICATE?
Yes, you read that right. Two $10 gift cards/certificates will be given out to any challenger who chooses to participate. These gift cards will be given for Amazon or Rightstuf (winners will be able to discuss with me any other available places for gift certs of equal value). The two winners will be selected as followed:

1. The challenger who watches the most number of episodes and posts their thoughts on each anime.

2. The challenger who is voted on by the rest of the participants for having the most thoughtful, analytical, or interesting post(s).

SEE MORE DETAILS IN THE RULES BELOW

RULES
  1. Post your reviews and thoughts for the anime you watch within their respective anime threads. Links will be provided on the eligible anime list.
    Note: You are only required to post your thoughts if you want to compete for a gift card

2. Post the name of the anime and episode numbers that you complete in this thread.
    Note: You are only required to do this if you want to compete for a gift card

3. SPOILERS!! Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post. REPEAT OFFENDERS WILL BE TAKEN OUT OF THE RUNNING FOR A GIFT CARD.

4. You are not required to watch every episode of the anime. You can pick and choose which episodes you want to watch. Just record the episodes you watched in this thread. A minimum of 5 sentences is still required for each anime series regardless of the number of episodes watched.

5. Episodes watched more than once during the course of the challenge do not count for points. Only the first watch.

6. All episodes must be watched at 1.0X speed. Watching episodes at an increased rate using video software is not allowed.

7. OPs and EDs and any next episode previews can be skipped.

8. OVA episodes are allowed only if there is a legal available method to watch them (e.g. legal streaming option, available on a legal non-Japanese DVD/BD release).

9. ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THOSE WHO WILL BE COMPETING FOR A GIFT CARD:
    1. Post in this thread that you're participating to win a gift card and post the time zone you are in.

2. You are required to post a minimum of 5 sentences for each anime you watch. If you don't post any thoughts, the hours you spent watching that anime will not be counted towards your final total. Your posts must be made within the allotted time frame of the competition. Posts made at any time after 8 PM on Sunday, November 15th in your time zone will not be counted.

3. Post the name of the anime and episode numbers you completed in this thread. You are allowed through Tuesday, November 17th to provide me this list. Be sure to note any OVA episodes and their length.

4. For challengers competing for the most amount of anime watched: The point system is determined as follows:
      • 1 point per episode = 15-29 minutes watched, not counting OP and ED (typical single episode length)
      • 2 points per episode = 30-59 minutes watched, not counting OP and ED (double episode length)
      • 3 points per episode = 60-89 minutes watched, not counting OP and ED
      The challenger with the most points at the end is the winner. If a tie, then episode run-time per minute may be calculated to determine the winner.

5. For challengers competing for the most thoughtful post: A poll will go up several days after the competition has ended to allow other participants to vote for the challenger who gave the most thoughtful post(s). The poll will be up for a week. The person with the most votes in the end will win. In the event of a tie, the person with the most points (based on the point system above) will win. If still a tie, the winner will be determined by the moderators.

Depending upon how busy I am, it may take a while to calculate the winners of the gift cards. I have a goal to complete this by the end of the month so that the winners have their gift cards in time for holiday season purchases. Very Happy I will contact you by PM once the winners have been decided to determine which gift card you want.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
ANIME LIST WILL BE UPDATED THROUGHOUT THE WEEK

Eligible Anime List:

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Just as a reminder, participants interested in competing for one of the gift cards please post in this thread that you're interested and the time zone you're located in.

Thanks!
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm in. I live in CST (GMT -6).

Projected list, in case anyone's curious, sort of in intended order (Rahxephon won't happen until my data cap resets on the 9th):

- From The New World (18 eps, starting from where I stopped previously)
- Rahxephon (26 eps)
- Sunday Without God (12 eps)
- Wolf's Rain (26 eps)
- Haibane Renmei (13 eps)
- Moribito (26 eps)
- Psycho Pass (22 eps)
- Twelve Kingdoms (45 eps)

11/6: From The New World 7-10. This is good stuff, why did I not finish it before?
11/7: From The New World 11-25. DAYUM. This is going to be a hard writeup, I got a little too caught up in it to pay hard attention to details.
11/8: Sunday Without God 1-12+OVA. It was okay.
11/8: Bubblegum Crisis 1-3. Decided to swap it in since it looks like others are interested. Talk about an 80s show.
11/9: Rahxephon 1-10. I'm not crazy about it yet but it's not bad.
11/10: Bubblegum Crisis 4-8. It's really interesting to see how this contrasts with 2040.
11/11: Wolf's Rain 1-10. Feels good to be revisiting again.
11/12: Rahxephon 11-15. I feel like nothing has happened in the last 10 episodes.
11/13: Rahxephon 16-26. Now that's the stuff! Way better than the previous set of episodes.
11/13: Wolf's Rain 11-14, 19-20. Skipping recaps. Still enjoying.
11/14: Wolf's Rain 21-30. The pacing of this show is absolutely amazing.
11/15: Moribito 1-17, as of 7:46 pm.

Last edited by Saffire on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:26 am; edited 17 times in total
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that I will be able to compete in terms of total episodes watched as I have a job (and since I work evening shift I won't actually be able to start till after midnight), but I would like to be in consideration for most thoughtful post (since I may be able to post during work at least). I am in Eastern Time Zone.

I'm thinking of starting with either Fate/Zero or Kill la Kill even though both are recent purchases; when I pay Aniplex prices for a show it tends to go to the top of my pile. KlK is most likely as watching a 45 minute info dump after work may not be a great idea.

I'm assuming it's OK if I participate in a discussion of a show even if I'm not actually (re)watching it as part of the marathon (for example, I'm not interested in re-watching Katanagatari right now as I watched it recently but I may be interested in other peoples thoughts on the show).
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Count me in in. EST time zone. I'll try for most episodes watched. No way I'll be winning most thoughtful posts.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm in PST

.hack//SIGN: Episodes 1-2, Episodes 3-14, Evidence, Episode 15, Episodes 16-19, Episodes 20-22, Episodes 23-25, Intermezzo, Unison (complete)
Bubblegum Crisis: Episodes 4-8 (complete, as I recently watched 1-3 and don't want to rewatch them so soon)
RahXephon: Episodes 1-5*, Episodes 6-9*, Episodes 10-15, Episode 16, Episodes 17-19, Episodes 20-26, Movie (complete)
(*I know that these two don't count, I didn't notice the 8pm start [thought it said 8am], and my roommate and I have problems getting our schedules to line up to watch stuff, and this is the main one we planned on watching that she hadn't seen, so we got started right away)
Scrapped Princess: Episodes 1-4, Episodes 5-20, Episodes 21-24 (complete)
Sunday Without God: Episodes 1-6, Episodes 7-12, OAV (complete)
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Episodes 1-2, Episodes 3-5, Episodes 6-12 (complete)

Last edited by Dessa on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:25 pm; edited 25 times in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Yo, Eastern Standard Time.

Starting with Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (chronological order) since this is the only show I can think of that has a weird watching order. Also, I want to get the Endless Eight out of the way pronto. Gonna aim for most thoughtful posts in large episode chunks rather than most watched since, I've seen the majority of anime on this list already.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
There's been a change for me, I ended up calling in sick from work so I will be starting at 8:00, most likely will start with Fate/Zero.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ghost Hunt - 25 eps (51 pts)

Willag I think you made a mistake in counting. (mods feel free to delete this once it's corrected)
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm in US EST.

I doubt I'll qualify for anything as this month and December are always bad for me, but I'd still like to give it a try and maybe knock out at least one show from my backlog.

I'll start with Katanagatari and mix in episodes from some other series. Haven't decided yet if its going to be Arakawa, Boogie Pop, Planetes or Serial Experiments.

Dessa wrote:
I'm in PST

RahXephon: Episodes 1-5

It doesn't really matter to me, but I thought the marathon started at 8pm in our respective time zones. Unless I am totally confused by the time stamp on your post. If so I apologize, my brain is a little fried right now (just got home and all).
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I totally didn't see the 8pm start time. I was off from work, and so was my roommate, so we got started watching. Doesn't matter to me if those ones don't count, I'm not going for episode count anyway.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I totally didn't see the 8pm start time. I was off from work, and so was my roommate, so we got started watching.

Makes sense to me. Sorry, for bringing it up.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
With some recent developments at work I will have less free time for the next few weeks until some people are trained and moved to other sections. I still plan to participate but there's no way I'll have the time to watch enough to try and win. Plus my best friend just got married so I gotta hang with him. So I won't even stress myself trying. I'll just do this for fun this time.

Here is the projected list of shows I would like to have been able to watch/re-watch though. There's now way I can do them all now, not sure I could to start with, but I at least want to clear out some of my back log. Half, give or take, are re-watches while half are new.

Arakawa Under the Bridge
Black Lagoon (re-reading the manga now so perfect timing0
Boogiepop Phntom
Bubblegum Crisis
Clannad
Classroom Crisis
Fate/Zero
From the New World
Ghost Hunt
Guilty Crown
Kill la Kill
Moribito
Nadesico
Now and Then
R.O.D. TV
Simoun
Sound!Euphonium
Sunday Without God
Tokyo Ghoul
Twelve Kingdoms
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
These are the shows I'll try to tackle during this challenge. I probably won't be able to get through even a third of it since I'm awfully busy, but I definitely need to cut down through my backlog a little, so I hope I'll be able to do at least 60-80 episodes:

Yuki Yuna is a Hero Eps 1-12
The Twelve Kingdoms
Yu Yu Hakusho
Katanagatari
Full Metal Panic
hack://sign
Haibane Renmei Eps 1-13
Hunter x Hunter (starting from episode 61)
Nadesico
R.O.D.
Utena Eps 1-19
Welcome to the NHK
Symphogear
Samurai 7

Last edited by CrowLia on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:40 am; edited 5 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6