• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop (TV)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote

Cowboy Bebop (TV)

Genres: action, drama, science fiction
Themes: bounty hunters, space

Plot Summary: Spike Spiegel, a bounty Hunter with a dark past, lives on bounty to bounty, barely making it each time, or not making it at all. His partners Jet Black, Faye Valentine, Ed and Ein the dog all help him in his adventures from planet to planet.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Dish Network has cut out on me (Damned weather!), and so I have some time on my hands.....

Watching "Cowboy Bebop" on Cartoon Network always causes me to want to launch a thread when Yoko Kanno's "Blue" gets broadcast. Other than that last scene, it's difficult for me to mention any scene in particular because "Cowboy Bebop" is just so chock-full of them -- the ending of the 1st episode is a clue as to just how good the rest of the series will be; but there is one scene that does continually stick in my mind.

At the end of "Jupiter Jazz, Part II" when spoiler[ Jet radios Spike with the question: "What are you bringing in?"; and Spike replies: "Nothing." Jet then responds: "Come on in. We're taking off."] It is a simple, spare and yet -- at the same time -- a comprehensive testament to his friendship with Spike (and -- dare I say it -- Yoko Kanno provides a very good soundtrack).

"Cowboy Bebop" is nothing like "Bleach" in that regard: It's quick and to the point.

Last edited by nobahn on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Personally the one you mentioned is a very powerful scene in my mind as well. However I also like the end of that one on Venus with the plant. I forget it's name. I would also suggest you spoiler tag the details of you're original post. Even though most people coming into this thread will have watched CbBp it's still the polite thing to do Smile
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
My favorite sequence was the end of Ballad of Fallen Angels. You get a glimpse of spoiler[Spike’s hate for Vicious and his deep desire to be the one to end his life. I loved the dialog exchanges between the two of them when they finally confront each other both in the church isle and on the balcony. The writing in those scenes was fantastic. All that greatness is then culminated with the sequence when Spike is falling after being thrown out the window and you get flashbacks of his past as the scene builds up to the explosion while listening to the enchanting song Green Bird.] Everything about that sequence was brilliant and puts on display everything that sets Cowboy Bebop above the rest and why many believe it to be one of the greatest anime series ever made.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I would have to rewatch the series again to pick my favourite scenes, that in this case are not always the same thing as the scenes I remember the best. I seem to remember the scenes I really loved very vaguely, to the point where I would not be able to describe what was happening in them- but it has been some 5/6 years since I have seen the series...

Although, my fav definitely has to be Spike trying to light a cigarette with a flamethrower in Toys in the attic.

Also, the scene when Fay spoiler[tries to stop Spike from leaving is one of the most emotional. She always considered herself to be the last invlved with the crew, and yet all in all she really cared about them.]
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
I ... like the end of that one on Venus with the plant.

That, my friend, was the very episode (ep.#8: Waltz for Venus) that was cut off by the weather Mad; and, thus, provided the final impetus for me to launch this thread.

Last edited by nobahn on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Aye I definately thaught it was one of the best non "Main Plot" episodes. spoiler[The scene in the hospital where the guys sister just knew from spikes face and demenour that her brother was dead really choked me up.]

Last edited by RHachicho on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Pretty much anytime that Radical Edward was on the screen. Her antics and sheer wackiness stole the show IMO.

Of course the most fun episode IMO is Toys In The Attic (it was the "Alien" spoof one). I totally goofed and forgot the name of the episode, the Mushroom Samba one is also pretty darn funny as well.

Last edited by EricDent on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrathful

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
It could've been Mushroom Samba but I found it funny when all the characters were having a trip while Ed and Ein were watching them.

Needless to say, I find the scene when the music ballad of fallen angels memorable.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be pretty cliche and just say the final scene. Spike is so g*ddamn cool all the time, spoiler[even when he's about to die. When he does the little bang with his hand, I get shivers in my spine just typing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
One quote that always seems to strike a chord in me is in the episode Waltz for Venus where spoiler[Roco's dying words are "If we met earlier, do you think we could've been friends?" or something like that], man, it's just, it's an awesome line yet very bittersweet too.

But I think my favorite episode is Speak Like A Child, where Faye gets the beta-max tape addressed to her and Spike and Jet spoiler[go into that old mall thingy place trying to find a betamax player and they come back with a VHS player because both forms of media are so obsolete they can't tell the difference between the players], that scene just cracks me up! It reminds me when I was over a friend's place for Deep Fryday and my other friend and I saw a bunch of VHSs and asked if they had a VHS player and the other guy replied "You mean a VCR?" only for me to realize that I haven't said "VCR" in years.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I'm going to be pretty cliche and just say the final scene. Spike is so g*ddamn cool all the time, spoiler[even when he's about to die. When he does the little bang with his hand, I get shivers in my spine just typing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].

I concur with you -- completelyMr. Green; and then the series ends with Yoko Kanno's brilliant epilogue:

Yoko Kanno wrote:

Never seen a bluer sky
Yeah I can feel it reaching out
And moving closer
There's something about blue
Asked myself what it's all for
You know the funny thing about it
I couldn't answer
No I couldn't answer

Things have turned a deeper shade of blue
And images that might be real
May be illusion
Keep flashing off and on
Free
Wanna be free
Gonna be free
And move among the stars
You know they really aren't so far
Feels so free
Gotta know free
Please
Don't wake me from the dream
It's really everything it seemed
I'm so free
No black and white in the blue

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

So what you have is a brilliant ending to a scene that is in itself a brilliant ending of an episode which, in turn, is a brilliant ending of the whole damned SERIES.Anime exclamation

Last edited by nobahn on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Some of the moments from Mushroom Samba are easily my favourite comedy scenes. Particularly all the scenes where the crew spoiler[is high on the mushrooms.]

My favourite action scene is definitely the fights in Pierrot Le Fou which are easily some of the coolest in the series. That whole scene spoiler[in the amusement park with all the lights. Everything about Pierrot from the way he cackles and flies around is really cool.]

Emotionally, I love the scene at the end of Speak Like a Child where Fayespoiler[ finally watches the tape of herself as a child. It's a really sweet scene.]

And of course, the final scene where spoiler[Spike fights Vicious is just so epic.]
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 24, Hard Luck Woman, is the one episode which really set Cowboy Bebop into the Masterpiece category for me. It's also my favorite episode in the series.

It nearly brings me to a tear every single time I watch it. Conte's music within the episode is truly magnificent and with the combination "one two punch", it's an episode most don't walk away from unscathed.

For those wanting a little hint, the episode features Faye's memories and a decision by Ed.

The tissues are right over there.
cashballer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
My favourite action scene is definitely the fights in Pierrot Le Fou which are easily some of the coolest in the series. That whole scene spoiler[in the amusement park with all the lights. Everything about Pierrot from the way he cackles and flies around is really cool.]

I agree, Pierrot Le Fou is definitely my favorite episode. The fights are just awesome.

One of my favorite scenes in the series is from Mushroom Samba, after the spoiler[train is stopped by a cow], and Ein barks "Thank you," in response to which the cow moos "Oh, it's no problem." The brevity and randomness of the conversation forced a long laugh out of me, although it's not particularly thought-provoking or emotional.
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
any scene with space lion playing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2