• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guilty Crown (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote

Guilty Crown (TV)

Genres: action, drama, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: apocalypse, dystopia, epidemic, fighting, genetic weapons, genocide, mecha, post-apocalyptic, real robot, strategic warfare, super virus, tragedy

Plot Summary: Shu's entire world was shattered after a meteorite crashed into Japan, unleashing the lethal Apocalypse Virus. The chaos and anarchy born of the outbreak cost Shu his family and reduced him to a timid, fearful shell of the boy he'd once been. His life took another unexpected turn after a chance encounter with the stunning pop star, Inori. This mysterious beauty introduced Shu to the King's Right Hand: a genetic mutation that allows him to reach into hearts of mortals and turn them into weapons.Shu finds himself caught in the crossfire between those who desperately seek his newfound strength. On one side lurks a clandestine government agency, and on the other, Inori and the spirited band of rebels known as Funeral Parlour. The choice is Shu's to make - and the world is his to change.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

22 episodes
SciFI

The first episode comes out tomorrow I believe. The premise sounds very similar to Code Geass. A guy has a special power, meets a girl, and rebels against the government. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Last edited by WhiteHairGirls on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
erm, Guilty Crown was confirmed as 2-cours, so it can't actually be 11 episodes im afraid, so that may need a tweak, maybe something like 11+ episodes? since they haven't confirmed the exact no. of episodes yet

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-06/guilty-crown-to-run-year-ano-natsu-de-matteru-to-run-3-months

really looking forward to this one though, and if its noitaminA the story must be good otherwise it wouldn't have made the slot
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
Getsuga311 wrote:
erm, Guilty Crown was confirmed as 2-cours, so it can't actually be 11 episodes im afraid, so that may need a tweak, maybe something like 11+ episodes? since they haven't confirmed the exact no. of episodes yet

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-06/guilty-crown-to-run-year-ano-natsu-de-matteru-to-run-3-months

really looking forward to this one though, and if its noitaminA the story must be good otherwise it wouldn't have made the slot

ok thanks. I checked animelist and it says 22 episodes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
That was... familiar? The plaintive "woe is Japan" start, the gratuitous spoiler[civilian massacre]...

Oh, and a main character thrown into a situation he has no understanding of, but where we're supposed to see him as cowardly because he doesn't take one side... why? Because the girl is cute, I guess? Is there a general understanding among the citizens that the terrorists are on their side? That would explain some of it, sort of.

I think I was expecting something with a tad bit more intelligence from a noitaminA show.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that was about what I expected from a show by the director of Death Note and the writer of Code Geass. Fairly cliched and hilariously adolescent, but also really stylish and full of potential. I can see this as being a lot of fun in the future, assuming it doesn't crash and burn!

What really intrigued me was spoiler[the scene where he activates the Guilty Crown and sees flashes of...something. Did he used to know Inori, but had his brain wiped or something? Is he absorbing the memories of other people when he pulls swords out of their souls? Makes me think that while this show is obviously aiming to be pulp insanity, it might have more up its sleeve than it's letting on.]
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
That was... familiar? The plaintive "woe is Japan" start, the gratuitous spoiler[civilian massacre]...

Oh, and a main character thrown into a situation he has no understanding of, but where we're supposed to see him as cowardly because he doesn't take one side... why? Because the girl is cute, I guess? Is there a general understanding among the citizens that the terrorists are on their side? That would explain some of it, sort of.

I think I was expecting something with a tad bit more intelligence from a noitaminA show.

problem is that if they follow this then its labelled as cliche but if they make him throw himself into the situation, and overcome it (acting the hero) then its labelled as a rip-off of something else so they can't win with people no matter what they do
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Well that was very...interesting.

I;m liking the production values for this, and the music is pretty awesome. Not sure what to say about the story yet since this episode just really seemed to be about filling the quota of giving the main character his sword and powers.

Speaking of him, the one thing that kind of irked me about this was how he was willing to chase after the pink haired chick when he didn;t even have a two minute conversation with her. I know the plot has to move forward and all but they could have made it a little bit more believable.

Overall it;s a off to a pretty decent start and it's definelty one of the better episode ones of the season. I;ll definently be sticking around for this one, given who;s on staff.

Oh and blonde dude is my favorite character so far.
swienke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, the premise for this series seems almost like a carbon copy of Code Geass. But since that's probably my favorite anime I don't really mind.

Anyway, I tried to watch the first episode on Funi's website..."tried" being the operative word here. The player must've skipped almost a third of the frames, and it wouldn't buffer beyond the first 2 minutes or so anyway. I had to give up at that point: even if it had buffered, it probably would've been impossible to watch. Has anyone else had the same issue?
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Well that was very...interesting.

Speaking of him, the one thing that kind of irked me about this was how he was willing to chase after the pink haired chick when he didn;t even have a two minute conversation with her. I know the plot has to move forward and all but they could have made it a little bit more believable.

I think that might have been on purpose. spoiler[The images that flashed through the main character's head whenever he was in contact with her makes me think that he might have had some past relationship with her, but somehow either had it expunged from his memory or forgot it for some other reason. That might also be why he was watching her music video in the opening of the episode, as well--sort of like in Rahxephon, how Ayato obsessively paints pictures of the girl with brown hair from the very beginning without realizing exactly why he is doing so.]

Alternatively, I could be giving this show way too much credit, but considering the staff I think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
When Shu spoiler[pulled that sword out of Inori's body...] Dantalian no Shoka with mechas anyone? I can see where everyone is coming from by saying this show has familiarities with Code Geass but I think it's different in several ways. Ways that I can't really elaborate on at the moment. The setting is quite interesting though and gives off.. dystopian wouldn't be the right word but... totalitarian? No, that's incorrect, the government just holds a lot of power from what I understand.

Well, it's off to a good start and I feel that I may enjoy this very much. I can totally sympathize with Shu when he talks about his relationships with students and others.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
When Shu spoiler[pulled that sword out of Inori's body...] Dantalian no Shoka with mechas anyone?

Was thinking more Revolutionary Girl Utena, actually!

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLucW2fDl_8 (skip to 2:30)

But yeah, Dantalian no Shoka works too I guess
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
yamata no orochi wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:
When Shu spoiler[pulled that sword out of Inori's body...] Dantalian no Shoka with mechas anyone?

Was thinking more Revolutionary Girl Utena, actually!

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLucW2fDl_8 (skip to 2:30)

But yeah, Dantalian no Shoka works too I guess

Shining Tears x Wind for me.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was great. Even though it was very similar to Code Geass, I loved it. The animation was great. The buildings are beautiful and break taking. The song the pink girl sings sounds very familiar. I can't wait for the 2nd episode.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
Anyway, I tried to watch the first episode on Funi's website..."tried" being the operative word here. The player must've skipped almost a third of the frames, and it wouldn't buffer beyond the first 2 minutes or so anyway. I had to give up at that point: even if it had buffered, it probably would've been impossible to watch. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Nope, I just got done watching it via Funimation's player and had no issues whatsoever. Not really helpful, but I thought I'd just say...

Divineking wrote:
Oh and blonde dude is my favorite character so far.

Yeah, I think his character's name is Gai. But, I have to agree that he is the best thus far.

Definitely an intriguing first episode. Most of it has been done before (others have already pointed out the Code Geass similarities, so I won't bother). I love the music, and the character designs both male and female. Although Shu, the protagonist, seems to be a little young looking (yes, I know he's supposed to be a teenager). And since I'm talking about Shu let me just add that I don't care for his whole whiny "poor me" teen angst attitude. That got old real fast. Grow some balls already! Which he did by the end of the episode. There seems to be a lot of story hidden yet, and I look forward to more.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
This is the only show that's aired this year so far with a first episode in the same league as Pengindrum's. Has a lot of promise. If the story can keep up with EP1's production values, I think we're in for a fun ride.

Also, man, you guys are harsh tearing into Shu so much after just one episode. If he keeps that emo attitude going, then sure, give him a hard time, but it looked to me like we just got a turnaround already at the end there with his resolution.

Yttrbio wrote:

We can deduce a lot from this first episode. I don't know that it's accurate to say Shu has no understanding of the situation. Sure, he has no understanding yet of which piece of it he's just been caught up in, and he's certainly no current-events-savy Lelouche, but as our narrator, he has to have some understanding of the sociopolitical situation or else he wouldn't have been able to (halfheartedly) set the scene for us. I don't think we're supposed to see him as cowardly because he doesn't take one side, I think the point was just to show that up until now he was pretty apathetic about stuff, and now that his everyday life is threatened, he's struck with accumulation of the gnawing feeling that his apathetic attitude is going to cost him eventually. I don't think "taking sides" had anything to do with it there, it had to do with taking action.

I don't think Shu has the sense of nationalism that, say, Lelouche has, so I doubt that he really holds any kind of active dislike against the "occupation" so it makes perfect sense for him to try to save himself, nor do I think the writing, at least in this episode, is trying to set Shu up as a character as complex as Lelouche. But of course our young hero has a strong sense of justice and he's probably got a teenager fan obsession over, er, huge crush on singer chick (go back and watch the opening again in case you missed his body language while he watched the music video), so his conscience plus his long-standing dissatisfaction with the state of his life in relation (plus his crush) to the world spur him into action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20