• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psycho-Pass (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote

Psycho-Pass (TV)
Psycho-Pass 2 (TV)

Genres: action, psychological, science fiction, thriller
Themes: crime, cyberpunk, dystopia, future, police

Plot Summary: The series takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person's state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term "Psycho-Pass" in the anime's title refers to a standard used to measure an individual's being. The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kōgami, who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Episode 1
spoiler[Not bad for pilot episode. The OP song is catchy with some action in it mid way. I like Kagari's personality in this pilot episode as he seems to be more of the fun type that balances in between the gloom and doom. There is definitely some violence in this series though like that knife scene..

Anyways, nice episode overall and lovely themes so far.]

Last edited by Stark700 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:20 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

spoiler[Poor little police girl newbie lol
They sure pushed her into action fast.
I like the guns they use, they're pretty cool ^^
Lots of nice explanations in first episode.
I liked that part.]

I'll be watching this one!
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Well the gratitious violence is a bit off putting but other than that it's off to a pretty good start. I figured that given the premise it wouldn't take too long for one of the enforcers to question the Psycho Pass system but I was kind of surprised their doing it right off the gate. Makes me a bit more interested as to how things'll go though.

I'm hoping it won't get too much bloodier than this but with Urobachi being behind it I guess this kind of violence should be expected... Laughing
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Dark 'n Edgy it definitely was. I'll give this the 3 episode treatment. At least I want to see Urobuchi justify the seemingly utterly broken system of justice he has presented here. I just hope he's not going to make some grand statement about ethics with this show.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
On the negative side, some of the exposition felt a little clunky, explaining things to newbie inspector that she should have already known and shouldn't really need reminding of. I wasn't a huge fan of the way they used her character either.

On the plus side, the visuals are great, the setting is interesting, and the show did a great job building tension. I'm very curious to see more. Most of the necessary initial exposition should be out of the way now, so as long as they can make newbie inspector interesting, the show should be all set.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
On the negative side, some of the exposition felt a little clunky, explaining things to newbie inspector that she should have already known and shouldn't really need reminding of. I wasn't a huge fan of the way they used her character either.

Yeah, she felt like a schoolgirl not a police academy graduate with top marks.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, just got done with the first episode of my first show this season. It was definitely good enough for me, and kind of interesting. Really wasn't expecting immediate awesome quality from the first episode, honestly. Getting an idea of the show's premise early on in the episode itself (I didn't remember much of the show description starting it), I knew that however the police operations worked and whatever key components and terminology the series threw out at you-- Psycho Pass, Psycho Hazard, Crime Coefficient, etc.-- were going to be the "stars" of the episode's plot, outshining an extreme-but-nothing-too-special criminal case. Reminds of the not-super-special start of GitS: Stand-Alone Complex, as didn't that first episode's case deal with something sexually-violent (though not as explicit) or at least something not-super-special-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things? Knowing what I know of Urobuchi (read: Madoka and Saya no Uta), I suspect it won't be too long before the series picks up its A-game.

Not really seeing enough of a basis to mark this down as a 1.5 on a 5-point scale, though, as Zac did.... and mainly for what, "trying too hard?" I'm not seeing how its much worse than Deadman Wonderland's first (of many) plot-on-rails, subtle-as-a-sledge-hammer and hyper-"edgy" episode (which he gave a 4/5 to).

A question regarding the fate of spoiler[the rape victim: wasn't she just paralyzed from that shot by Akane's superior, considering that the reading on Akane's gun marked her down for a non-lethal paralyzing shot and there was neither a sprinkling nor marshmallow-explosion of blood from her when she was shot? Reading Zac's preview assessment, I'm reading that his impression of the situation was that she was actually shot down lethally.... when the thought didn't cross my mind while watching the episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

A question regarding the fate of spoiler[the rape victim: wasn't she just paralyzed from that shot by Akane's superior, considering that the reading on Akane's gun marked her down for a non-lethal paralyzing shot and there was neither a sprinkling nor marshmallow-explosion of blood from her when she was shot? Reading Zac's preview assessment, I'm reading that his impression of the situation was that she was actually shot down lethally.... when the thought didn't cross my mind while watching the episode.]

I interpreted that the same way that you did as well. I felt it clearly implied that spoiler[she was just tranquilized/whatever they call it].

I wasn't terribly impressed with the first episode, possibly because Funi's stream is just so ugly compared to watching something on Crunchyroll, plus I'm not a huge fan of that style of violence (I prefer it to be unexpected, brief, and gutwrenching, ala Madoka Magica spoiler spoiler[Mami being decapitated]). I'll continue with it though. Hopefully it make a nice turn around.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

My impression what that the inspector was just filling her in on what happened and data about the criminal. It was her first day on the job and she was suddenly called out for the case. Unless you meant the gun explanation part. I have mixed feelings about it but I thought it work well enough in the context of things -- the girl did say she received training on it, more or less -- I just assumed she never handled a real gun. I found the execution of the explanations justified and good for the most part.

As for the first episode, I liked it. It really stimulated my brain and I thought a lot about what was going on. I'm very intrigued by how spoiler[the CID uses criminals to hunt down other criminals. I also question the ethnics of the CID's way of handling things. The old man brought up how Crime Coefficients can be contagious so it only makes the CID methods look more questionable. ]

Apologies for the sloppy and unorganized writing; I'm rushing through my thoughts so I can finish my essay paper.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Finally a series for me to actually like on gloomy fridays anime.

First thing, for a while I have been writing a sci-fi story which involves watch like accesories on the wrist with a holographic interface, and guns that prejudge target's threat level before fireing. So the sci-fi elements in this really grab my attention, I would like to see how their culture might be lke when they can be judged like that.

I like the idea of humans wanting to judged based on what their psychology may be like, and the holes it might have from mementary insanity. A program that theoretically can be good to society, but also be merciless. I would guess that the criminals used are the type of low level psychopaths you might see day to day, probably won't do anything too bad, but ae likely to do what is neccesary.

My hope is that police girl can toughen up, like be the stronger version of Seras Victoria, rather than the first tv series. Props to her spoiler[shooting that guy, giving the girl enough time to get down to just be tranquelized.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Pass

Yeah, definitely trying too hard. Definitely from a bunch of dudes that have watched Blade Runner too many times.

Can't just shoot a guy, they must ASPLODE!
coolness rules the roost. The wind blows inside (the better for the boys petty hair to flow). No wind outside, but all light must be dim and flickery.

Because of the noitaminA brand I gave it a chance, but this and last year's fall shows prove to me that this is when they try to make their money off of safer bets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool. I don't really know how good it will turn out to be, but I like the visual style of the show and it seems like it has a lot of interesting concepts to throw around. Hopefully it will really try and go somewhere with those concepts.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
Pretty good but I think they're trying to do too much too soon. It would have been better to give us at least an episode to settle in to the basic premise spoiler[of them hunting people using psych scans] before turning it on its head with the twist spoiler[that this evidently often leads to them killing victims/anyone who is in a fragile or traumatized state of mind].
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
The first episode was great.

It's going to be the best show of season!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Visually its interesting enough to keep me around for a few more episodes. There were some things I liked:

1. The culprit was offeredspoiler[ therapy]. It would be interesting to know what the spoiler[therapy] entails and if its a real viable option. I hope they address this.

2. Culprit was carrying around spoiler[a device that told him his criminal rating. I found the idea of a personal device that analyzes your psychological state for criminality] kinda interesting.

3. I'm interested in how the whole system was set up. If they do a good background job with this it will earn major points from me. I hope its not lame.

But didn't like a few things:

1. The whole its our destiny to be adversaries thing while standing around trying to look cool was unnecessary to me.

2. You just can't shoot them? Really they need spoiler[to balloon up and then explode?] Must be messy for the clean up crew, I hope they get paid extra.

3. She was top of her class at the Police Academy? Really? What kind of training did she have? Meter maid maybe? Major Kusanagi she's not. Hopefully, she will demonstrate more development than just the "conscience" of the team.

4. So we have already been shown a hole in "the system". I hope they will explain why no one has noticed it before or address it in some way in the story.

Anyways, may have potential in spite of a few rough spots. I'll give it another 2-3 episodes to convince me its worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 44