• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote

Darker than Black (TV)

Genres: action, drama, mystery, psychological, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: assassins, conspiracy, crime, fighting, living dolls, neo-noir, police, superhuman, superpowers

Plot Summary: In Tokyo, an impenetrable field known as "Hell's Gate" appeared ten years ago. At the same time, psychics who wield paranormal powers at the cost of their conscience also emerged. Hei is one of the most powerful of these psychic agents, and along with his blind associate, Yin, works for one of the many rival agencies vying to unlock the mysteries of Hell's Gate.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Other then Gonzo adaptation of Romeo X Juliette, I'd have to say that this is the show I'm looking forward to the most.

As always spoiler through the first episode so check yourself if you still want to watch this episode later.

Whoa the Matrix, the opening scene reminded me so much of the Matrix with jumping across building and police car below following. And then he's start flying and picking up people with his powers. I guess this unknown male is Rui and he has the ability to control gravity which I must say is a pretty sweet, maybe Heroes will ripped it off when they come back. Wink

Alright so there's a twist on classic Vampire theme here, with Demons (vampires) Dolls (what appears to be half and half, from what I gather) and then of course everyday humans.

Opening theme, it's got a decent beat that I enjoyed and I love the animations, I guess I am a sucker for Bones production.

Overall I am just listening to music of the series and for something by Kanno I must say that I am not really impressed....but I guess I need to wait and see.

There's already been a few blacks coming and going so I guess we;ll see some sort of importance with them....also funny little bit I heard Shinigumi and I chuckled a bit, had it not been for Death Note I would of been a bit confused.

Did anyone else notice that the animation dropped a bit after the kiss, Or at least it felt like it to me. So our dear Electrician has gone himself into a world trouble by interfering with the contractors, and there he goes falling on the train tracks.

Hey Black Cat (again) to the rescue I guess there is a little Matrix in this story, and with that the first episode ends.

Ending song really wasn't my thing either, maybe I expect way too much from Kanno, but I am sure there will be some tracks that I will thoroughly enjoy in later episodes.

Verdict: Way too early to even guess, I would have to say that this anime looks like there going to be a very dark story with a complex storyline to follow. I think that I need a few more episodes to get a feel for this world of Darker than Black and if I am going to be watching this show this season.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this one but I have to say, it was not what I expected. It wasn't quite disappointing, but it was not as great as I had hoped. The beginning with Louis (was that his name?) running across the rooftops was pretty exciting and seeing him break his fingers to compinsate was crazy. But after Hei/Li is introduced and we start learning what's going on, I wasn't as engrossed in it as I had been. I didn't think this would be another series where people with abnormal powers are either fighting amongst themselves or being hunted down (a few scenes reminded me of Witch Hunter Robin). Not that I mind, I found the idea of the Contractors interesting but it was just presented in a very average way. I think I'll gain interest as we learn more about Hei and Hell's Gate. So far I'm not very curious about it (Hell's Gate that is) but as more pieces of the puzzle come into play I think this might be a show I really like.

The animation looked pretty good but it lacked the style I've come to expect from BONES. I also didn't care for the character designs that much. There was something about the eyes of the male characters that bothered me. The music was also not as great as I was expecting. You see the name Kanno and you think of a memorable soundtrack but I can't really recall any of the music except the ED song which was rather average.
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episode a lot.

Just one comment on what Delta said: I didn't at all get the impression that this was about vampires. I don't know exactly what the Contractors are making contracts with, but actual demons seem more likely to me than vampires (going on the whole old 'deal with the devil', sell your soul for powers idea and the fact that the giant wall is called "Hell's Gate".) Also, to me I thought a Doll would be like a magical familiar: a representative of the entity the Contractor has made the deal with, keeping an eye on them. Like the talking cat for Hei. That was my impression, anyway.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
I liked the first episode a lot.

Just one comment on what Delta said: I didn't at all get the impression that this was about vampires.

I was speaking in general terms and taking a guess at what the series was going to be like half through the episode. To me it seemed like there the demons, then there are contractors and humans. At first glance it appeared to be very close to the Vampire anime that has humans and some of the time half humans half vampire (possibly the contractor) and then there are full fledged vampire (the demons) I don't think this show is as simply as that but I was speaking in very general terms. Considering that we hardly know anything about the story, the cast, or the environment who knows what kind of story this show might turn out to be.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
My first impression of the contractors (I dislike that word, but I can't really come up with a better word for 契約者) is that their "contracts" appear to have a lot in common with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

So far, we've seen one contractor obliged to spoiler[mutilate his own fingers] and another spoiler[with a compulsion to arrange rocks on a flat space]. What other compulsions might show up, I don't know, but it seems that these are much less supernatural than psychological in nature.

More interesting is the occasional reference to spoiler[the sky being fake, the contractors being identified by astronomical references (e.g. Messier numbers), and the police having an "astronomical bureau".] I'll be looking forward to having these issues elaborated upon in the following episodes.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frouella

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
The animation looked pretty good but it lacked the style I've come to expect from BONES. I also didn't care for the character designs that much. There was something about the eyes of the male characters that bothered me. The music was also not as great as I was expecting. You see the name Kanno and you think of a memorable soundtrack but I can't really recall any of the music except the ED song which was rather average.

I noticed the thing with the eyes too, but I thought they were shown that way to convey the whole lack-of-emotion thing, since their irises seemed to flatten out and become more matte looking (i.e. less expressive). Which I thought was the trade-off for their powers, but I'm still not 100% sure about the whole plot yet (since I watched the raw and my Japanese isn't 100% either). But overall, I liked how the characters looked, especially Lee or Li or however you spell his name; he just seemed really unassuming and pleasantly rumpled for a part-time badass, which I like. Razz

As for the music, I only noticed it once (during the conference). The OP and ED I thought were okay, but I'm kinda thinking that the studio wanted to go with more popular artists to give them some exposure, what with the whole media-convergence thing. I'll have to see more of the series before I can tell about the style of the music overall, but I think it's kind of too bad that the OP and ED weren't YK songs, since she's very skilled at using those to set the tone of a series.

On the whole though, I thought it was good for a first episode, and it definitely piques my interest enough to keep an eye on this series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
I found the first episode to be decent but nothing special. I think the show has potential to be quite interesting and the first episode did a decent job of introducing the basic elements of the story.
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Looks/sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up. Smile
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into the whole "government organization investigates humans with supernatural powers" premise, so I went into this with a grain of salt. My first impression is more or less the same as everyone else's; the first episode shows some potential for an engaging series, but I'm not hooked yet. The animation quality was kind of underwhelming for a first episode, but I'm hoping that the production values stay consistent throughout the series (seeing how this is a BONES title, I'm not too worried). The character relationships are horrendously dull right now; I hope they improve later. The next episode looks better in that aspect.

The music, which I had been looking forward to more than anything else, is kind of a disappointment so far. It's vaguely reminiscent of GITS:SAC background pieces during the action sequences and Wolf's Rain-esque guitar for quiet moments, but nothing really stands out so far. Let's hope Kanno is just saving her famous musical flair for key moments later on. I wish she'd written the opening and ending songs as well, but I'm surprised she's doing the music at all, considering Sony music is a sponsor here, and she's signed with Victor.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I really like the character designs, and how the eyelids have more prominence than normal to give everyone a kind of sleepy look. I love Hei/Li's design especially. He looks accordingly sweet and unimposing as Li and a combination of threatening and apathetic as Hei. And I dig the blank eyes. One of the few really interesting shots for me in this episode was when his eyes narrowed as Miss Hostess Bar (I forgot her name) ran from him after the kiss. It's neat to see that mask of unassumingness fall away and watch his real nature slip out for a second.

All in all, there's enough going on here for me to want to continue. The details abunai mentioned are especially interesting, and there are enough clues sprinkled around to keep me attentive for the time being. I want to see more cat action, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I gather about the powers:

They are called "Contractors" because they had to make a contract with some kind of supernatural entity. That contract always has two sides: "I'll give you powers, but you have to do <something> for me every time you use them." Since we don't know what these supernatural entities might be, we're not sure why they have to do these things, but each person's contract appears to be differant, some more severe than others and no doubt with some significance to the entities they have the contracts with.

There is something up with the stars: as noted, the Contractors are assigned messier numbers as their identification, and if you watch closely in the episode: every time a contractor uses their powers, a star in the sky (assumedly the one they are named after) glows brightly. Obviously, either the entities they have their contracts with are the stars or are represented by the stars, and that is why they are identified by those numbers and the police have an Astrological Bureau.

Also, the lady refers to Dolls as 'mediums'. A medium is generally someone who communicates with the supernatural world, who can see it and our own. It would make sense to me that these dolls are the agents of communication between the Contractor and the being he has a contract with.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Posted my thoughts on it at another forum like I did with the first episode of Heroic Age:

HellKorn wrote:
There's was a mix of hype coming in for Darker than BLACK, most of which was clamoring about how great and cool it would be, BONES behind animation, Yoko Kanno doing the music, and the characters (notably Hei) just seeming bad-ass... It's rather interesting to see reactions to it afterwords since it's rather slow-paced and rather subdued. It's quite a low-key kind of show. So, as a result, you have a good number of folks complaining that it's "boring" and that "it can't compare to Code Geass" (Darker than BLACK replaced the time slot for Code Geass). So, yeah, there's a lot of whining for those with no real sophisticated taste, which after watching the first episode, I expected such.

Myself? Well, I came into it not with the highest expectations despite this being a BONES title (hey, I love Kurau: Phantom Memory, RahXephon, and Wolf's Rain)... Actually, I don't really have much expectations to begin with, since I just wanted to see the direction that BONES would take us. So far they're setting up the plot, which involves a various intrigue such as the giant wall, Hell's Gate, that was erected over ten years ago, different folks who inherited powers when it went up at the cost of losing a lot of their human emotions (these people are known as contractors), and the response to those types with different agencies investigating the wall. You also have Contractors getting into trouble with the police, so that adds the conflict of different factions trying to forward their different agendas.

The characters haven't really been defined. When I said that this series appears to be low-key, I honestly meant it. Hei, our anti-hero hasn't had any real time to showcase much so far even though he involved himself with helping out a woman named Haruguchi, but even I don't expect him to do so as he is a Contractor (see lack of human emotions mentioned earlier). We also see glimpses of Yin and Mao, so nothing to comment on them, and Huang gets a few lines and is the most expressive of the group so far. On the flip side we have Misaki Kirihara who is a detective in the NPA (National Police Agency) that looks into Contractors, and we've only seen her run the usual routes so far.

Art is stylish but not particularly "overwhelming," like something that you'd find in, say, Haibane Renmei, The Big O, Texhnolyze, or Mushishi. Still, it's quite vibrant, and stands outs well. The animation definitely adds more punch to it with a lot of nice details and fluid movements. There's a lot of chase scenes so far (With no cars, that's a plus!) so it comes out to a really nice effect.

Keeping in with the "subdued" theme that I have running, the music isn't standout-ish but more than gets the job done. Not nearly as much piano as I'd hope from Kanno, but no real complaints. As I stated earlier about watching this being a pain, the opening and ending themes get rather jarring and the video pauses while the audio continues on. That's my own computer's limitations, so on one hand I can't make a fully accurate judgment, but I will say that what I was able to watch (after going over them both numerous times) is that the music complements the visuals very well. The opening is somewhat typical yet it works. I do prefer the ending theme over it (coincidentally, this is the one which I have more trouble watching), with it only focusing on Yin and a bed of flowers than surround a pool-like area. It's nicely soothing.

Darker than BLACK has a lot of potential. I do wonder a bit how long BONES will go with the episodic nature of the show, since I'm hoping that they divvy up the central plot and incidental sub-plots into the adequate amount of screen time. The first episode isn't stellar or unique, but it can easily shape up to be one of the strongest anime series this year if played out right.

Just make sure that you don't have the attention span the size of a rodent so you won't end up like the drones who say it's "boring," and you should be good to go.

I'd like to say that I'm exaggerating on the "ZOMG CODE GEASS IS BETTER!" comments that some folks are making, but I'm not.

Cloe wrote:
One of the few really interesting shots for me in this episode was when his eyes narrowed as Miss Hostess Bar (I forgot her name) ran from him after the kiss.

Haruguchi, I believe. And you're referring to this shot, correct? If so, then I'm in full agreement on the character designs, particularly the rather dark expressions that we see Hei showcase.

Quote:
I want to see more cat action, too.

I think that the cat spoiler[talks] in some upcoming episodes, so no don't that we'll see more of 'im.

Exaar wrote:
They are called "Contractors" because they had to make a contract with some kind of supernatural entity. That contract always has two sides: "I'll give you powers, but you have to do <something> for me every time you use them."

You apparently at least spoiler[lose the majority of your human emotions.] The amount will vary from person to person, and spoiler[which emotions one loses] follows that same factor.

There might also be another condition as you mentioned, but I don't have an idea as to what that would be.

Quote:
Also, the lady refers to Dolls as 'mediums'. A medium is generally someone who communicates with the supernatural world, who can see it and our own. It would make sense to me that these dolls are the agents of communication between the Contractor and the being he has a contract with.

spoiler[Yin would be the doll in Hei's group. The only others in it are Huang, the only "normal human" that we see, and Mao, the human-turned-cat, who is also apparently a contractor.]
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Where do you get the idea that you lose part of your emotions? I didn't see anything to suggest that. And we know for a fact there's another part to the contract, which is different for each person: one guy had to break his own fingers, and one guy had to arrange rocks (but had no idea why). That's the contract I'm seeing... they get powers in exchange for doing some ritualistic excercise (but its too early to say why the entities might want them to do those various things).

Also, the girl in the group apparently has the power to observe people through water: they show her doing it through the whole episode, most notably at the end where she's sitting with her feet in the water and watching the guys through their sink. I was thinking the doll would be the cat-guy. Black cats are, mythologically, often familiars and stuff.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
Where do you get the idea that you lose part of your emotions? I didn't see anything to suggest that.

Emotions would in essence get in the way of, say, killing another person. Also take note that spoiler[while evident that he has some, Hei isn't exactly an incredibly expressive guy.] The first few lines in the opening theme hint towards it as well. I'd also suspect that it's a similar case with dolls.

Quote:
That's the contract I'm seeing... they get powers in exchange for doing some ritualistic excercise (but its too early to say why the entities might want them to do those various things).

I was thinking more along the lines of what those spiritual beings might want in the end outside of just simply performing some sort of ritual, like as you mentioned, breaking one's fingers, or spoiler[setting down stones in a certain pattern.]

Quote:
I was thinking the doll would be the cat-guy. Black cats are, mythologically, often familiars and stuff.

Mao, the cat, has shown abilities that are a bit atypical. spoiler[He's out there actually fighting along with Hei.] Yin, on the other hand, is kept out of the line of fire, so to speak. It'd make sense to have your dealing of communications of the spiritual beings to not be in harm's way.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. sounds interesting. I'll watch anything with Hidenobu Kiuchi (thanks to his role as Dr. Tenma putting him on my seiyuu map Anime catgrin). And there's a bunch of Wolf's Rain staff as well, with Yoko Kanno's doing the music Shocked? Dang, more and more good looking stuff just keeps coming out. At this rate, I'll never catch up on all of my backlogged anime Anime cry.
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the first episode and... well, you know how first episodes are. Setting up a million things, introducing too many characters and concepts and just giving out a big WTF vibe. But at the same time, baiting just enough that I'll be wanting to see some more - this can go either way.

I'd have to agree with lots of people about the animation - it wasn't Bones at it's best that much is certain. Especially in the intro there were several times where the animation was just lacking, like when Hei jumps on Rui (or doesn't, he just sits on him) or when he slaps him across the face, no interaction between the palm and the face... not what I've come to expect from Bones. I don't mind the character design, not particularly great but effective. I like the way Hei looks, even though it gives me big Hatchimaki flashbacks.

Now about the dolls - assuming the little girl is a doll, I'm thinking she's got some kind of ability to use water as her medium. She's got her legs in water, then zoom into the dripping sink and bam she's in snooping about.

Music wasn't too special either, even the ED which was by Rie fu, maybe my the favorite Japanese singer but even she underwhelmed me...

But unless it turns absolutely horrendous, I'll have to give it at least 10 episodes to see if it's any good. Any less than that, and you can't really make a judgment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11