• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit (TV)

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy
Themes: assassins, female bodyguard, fugitives, spirits

Plot Summary: Balsa, the spear wielder and bodyguard, is visiting the New Yogo Empire. She is hired to protect the Second Prince, Chagum, who is endangered because he is possessed by a being despised by his father, the Emperor, who ordered his assasination. The two go on a perilous adventure for the survival of the prince. Throughout the story, Balsa's past will come to light and they will uncover mysteries about Chagum's condition while developing a family-like relationship with each other and others.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Guardian of the Sared Spirit (GSS) is a show that's being done by Production I.G. (Blood+, Le Chevalier D'eon, GITS:SAC) and is currently airing on NHK. Geneon has pre-licensed this show before the first episode airred so hopefully we'll be seeing it on the other side of the pacific sooner rather then later. Kenji KAMIYAMA is directing this series and well he's directed everything in the SAC series (including the upcoming movie) so he's really got my support seeing as how great that series was. Anyways lets get on with the show

Spoilers for episode one.

Opening Theme: I didn't really like the music it's sounds like everything else yet it's does have a decent beat. It's kind of in between awful and good there's nothing to remember about it and there's isn't anything I loathe about it either. I am probably going to skip it like 95% of opening and closing. There were some very sweet animations spots in the opening, one for me had to be the horse as it rode across the field with the sun in backgrounded.

Wow it looks like Production I.G spared no expense on the details of this show. There are some beautiful transition with the 3D animations which reminds me of Le Chevalier D'eon. Even the water has the great effect of the light being bounced off, and the shadows you see have the right reaction to the characters movement.

Alright so when everyone is bowing to the royal family,did anyone else notice how our Heroine talks to us as if she needs to complain that she isn't from this country and doesn't have to bow.....that was completely awkward and weird if ya ask me. Awesome she/he (not sure which) has the power to become the Bubble boy/girl. The ultimate power to star in a crappy film.

What a great way to keep people from trying to undermine you, tell them if your not royal birth and you look us in the eye you go blind....ouch. Balsa? Balsa certainly is unique I guess I won't forget it,

Wow so we've finally get to the point of the series Balsa needs to protect the royal prince from his Dad the emperor. Ouch talk about cruelty killing your son because he talks in his sleep....what would they of done had he snored?

So end the first episode with Balsa running away with prince as she tries to protect him. Also one thing that kind of bugs me is to trully save his life doesn't she have to kill the Emperor so he'll stop the assassin attempt on his son life.

Closing: Originally when I first started listening it was just alright in my ears, but as I gave it time it really does turn into a nice little piece, the animation also helps to as we see the clouds moving across the sky. I am pleasantly surprised by this, in fact let me listen to it again......ahh that's there we go, I think the song really hits a high note at "Can you hear me?".

Verdict: The foremen has ruled, that there are too many interesting shows currently out this season. And I am afraid this one is going to slip between the cracks, but it's appears that Geneon has pre-licensed this series! I am going to watch a few more episode and like Le Chevalier let the Dvds take over. Here's hoping that Geneon kicks the production into high speed, because the way ADV handled Le Chevalier D'eon was perfect.

It appears that I've finally got through just about everything this season that I wanted to check out, and after checking out 15+ series I am tired. Of those 15 I am probably going to stay with 10 or so. And of those I am probably going to stick with 5 in which I watch episode by episode and the rest I am probably going to watch in batches of 4 episodes at a time.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wow so we've finally get to the point of the series Balsa needs to protect the royal prince from his Dad the emperor. Ouch talk about cruelty killing your son because he talks in his sleep....what would they of done had he snored?

That got a laugh out of me!

This is on my "Want to See" list so I was pretty interested in seeing what you have to say about it. So far, I'm still thinking that I might get this one. But, I'll keep an eye out for what you think of the next 2 or 3 episodes and then make up my mind.

Thanks!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's too bad you didn't like it Delta, though I'm surprised to be a little honest. I generally tend to find myself in agreement... but I couldn't disagree more on this one.

This is absolutely, bar none, my favorite show this season. I watched the first three episodes together and was in sheer awe. It is the first show I've ever seen that seems to genuinely try to portray the atmosphere and world of a pre-Bakumatsu era feudal Japan in as realistically a manner as possible. The world is completely natural feeling, even if it isn't completely realistic, and I was personally hooked for good when I found out she was turning 30.

I love anime that take place in feudal Japan, but this looks like it's going to be the first one that takes itself seriously and has some good source material from its source novel. I also like how the show doesn't play as strongly on the anime stereotypes than many other shows do, and pulls from historical and cultural stereotypes more; it's little things like the stereotype of Tohya's teeth make it so obvious he's a street urchin (what's the Japanese term for them? oh well).

Another thing I really liked was Balsa herself, she's very very human. She's proud, strong, and decisive, but she's not omnipotent, she can and does lose when by all rights she should, she knows what she wants but has etiquette (think about how just about any other anime character would have handled the scenes in the palace), and best of all, she cries foul in self-defense when an unfair deal is presented to her yet takes the deal anyway when she is no longer obligated to as it serves her goal.

At our anime club at the university, we'd been trying out all the different shows and a bunch of them were really popular. Naturally, after checking out this show I got someone to get it on the club's computer and started it up. The talking stopped, and 2 of people hanging out there who had classes decided to skip them so we could all watch up through episode 3 together right then. It's been a smash hit at our club, even among people who generally don't like non-comedies, probably because it just does everything right on so many levels.

The animation is absolutely gorgeous, absolutely the best out of any series this season. The music is pretty good, the opening is a little sappy, and the ending is pretty generic (though I do really like it Laughing)... but the background music is fantastic, particularly what seems to be the main mood theme (the first song played during the show). The mood and crescendo of the music around the 4 minute mark of the first episode are a season seller. The source for the series is apparently a really good novel as well. When one of the guys in the club heard it was going to be turned into a show, he borrowed and read the first couple chapters and said it was written well, and that it was pretty interesting. Hey, it's a popular novel, not just some slife 4koma. The action is also beautiful when they do it. There's a few good scenes in episode 3... and all I can say is: "wow... that is so brutally awesome......" I can't wait for more, even if I know that's not going to be the main focus of the story.

I don't know if I'll give this show a "masterpiece", being a plot driven show I'll have to see how they handle it, but if I had to rate just what I've seen so far... I don't think I could ethically give it less than an excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Wow, that's too bad you didn't like it Delta, though I'm surprised to be a little honest. I generally tend to find myself in agreement... but I couldn't disagree more on this one.

But I actually like this series thus far......

I wrote wrote:
Verdict: The foremen has ruled, that there are too many interesting shows currently out this season. And I am afraid this one is going to slip between the cracks, but it's appears that Geneon has pre-licensed this series!

When I mean slip between the cracks I don't mean that its quality slipped. Rather I meant that with all the great shows out thus far it's feel like this series has really hasn't got the attention it deserves. Hopefully I will watch the next three episodes sometime this week, and give ya an updated post on how this series is going.

So to answer yes I did enjoy this, and yes your right everyone should agree with me. Wink
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh, ok, that's how you meant it. I guess I misinterpreted your comment about the DVDs and how you were going to watch a few more then wait for the DVDs as "It's decent, so I'll probably finish it sometime... meh, I guess I'll wait till the DVDs are out so I can see it all at once."

Heh, I always forget that some people feel that true fandom isn't watching it religiously the moment it's aired in Japan like some sort of addicted junkie who sells her organs for cash, but to follow the singles releases as they come out at the pace of some US studio in an attempt to support the show as much as possible. Personally, I'll watch it religiously as it comes out, and then I'll buy it when it comes out here and proceed to never even put the discs in the DVD player unless I'm showing it to someone else (or unless its Fumoffu Laughing ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually in full agreement with selenta. Oh my. Razz

selenta wrote:
I love anime that take place in feudal Japan, but this looks like it's going to be the first one that takes itself seriously and has some good source material from its source novel.

Just to nit-pick: spoiler[Guardian of the Sacred Spirit apparently doesn't take place specifically in feudal Japan, but some kind of other world/alternate universe with a similar set up. Balsa remarks about the two moons, I believe it was (Or two suns? Ugh, my memory is slipping...) indicate this.]

Quote:
The source for the series is apparently a really good novel as well.

Scholastic also has the novels as well, which might go on further than what the anime will show if I interpret the listing right. I remember reading a little while back that they plan on distributing them in 2008 (possibly to go alongside Geneon's release of the anime).

Deltakiral wrote:
Verdict: The foremen has ruled, that there are too many interesting shows currently out this season.

But obviously most of them trash compared to Guardian of the Sacred Spirit.

Seriously though, compared to other series we have this season (which seems to be underwhelming compared to what I was expecting), Guardian of the Sacred Spirit is an easy standout. (Heck, Production I.G. is probably going to own this year considering their upcoming 20th Anniversary project, Ghost Hound.) Heroic Age and Moonlight Mile have turned out to be disappointments once past their second episodes (though the latter can still certainly turn it around). Bokurano and Gigantic Formula are both good, but nothing spectacular right now (even if I think "Uninstall" is the best opening theme of the season). Claymore is actually pretty good considering it's a shounen, nothing great but solid entertainment, and Madhouse is doing it justice. Can't say one way or another about The Skull Man yet (episode one definitely felt like RahXephon in parts, though it makes sense considering Izubuchi is behind both), and Romeo x Juliet... well, I dunno if I'm in the minority around here, is actually great on a technical level (especially for a Gonzo anime with animation) but hasn't provided much meat outside of a few odd quirks (at least I love Willy). Finally, Darker than BLACK seems to be more than building up to reach its potential, and Gurren Lagann is the most fun anime that I've seen since either FLCL or Mind Game...

I haven't seen anymore than that, so I can't comment on something like Lucky Star, but I think that for any anime fan with at least some mature taste, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit is the best choice that they could go for this season. Five episodes in and I can say without a doubt it's a riveting technical masterpiece (for a television series) with well-rounded characters (hey, for those that hate whiny characters, our little prince is quite strong so far) and superb execution so far with its plot. Oh yeah, I'm definitely buying this series when Geneon releases it. (Hopefully in the last quarter of 2007?)

Edit: I didn't catch you response to selenta, Deltakiral, before posting. Ah well. At least I presented my short opinion on some series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
This definitely is one of my favorite shows of the new season (this and Gigantic Formula). The art is great and the fight scenes are gorgeously rendered. Lovely overall.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
I first heard about this series from the Spring 2007 Preview that was posted a few weeks ago. Upon seeing the picture (which reminded me of Kenshin from OVA), and reading the summary, I came to the conclusion that this series was exactly what I've been searching for.

The first thing that came to my mind while watching the first episode was the animation. Rather than a series, it gave me the feeling of a top budget film. Also, the background music that came not long after supported that feel.

selenta wrote:
I was personally hooked for good when I found out she was turning 30.

Same here, the realism from that was the clincher for the idea of a more natural and realistic setting and story.

Selenta wrote:
Another thing I really liked was Balsa herself, she's very very human. She's proud, strong, and decisive, but she's not omnipotent, she can and does lose when by all rights she should, she knows what she wants but has etiquette (think about how just about any other anime character would have handled the scenes in the palace), and best of all, she cries foul in self-defense when an unfair deal is presented to her yet takes the deal anyway when she is no longer obligated to as it serves her goal.

One character that Balsa reminded me of was the Major from GITS. Since they both GITS and Guardian of the Sacred Spirit came from the same production company, some resemblance can be expected.

I absolutely loved the fights, don't think I've seen a better fight scene than the one in the beginning of episode 3. Definitely one of the best of this season.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
After watching five episodes i must admit that seems to be the best anime in this season.

Selenta wrote:
Another thing I really liked was Balsa herself, she's very very human. She's proud, strong, and decisive, but she's not omnipotent

That's why i like this anime Balsa is neither cry-baby nor next sweet idiot with a heart of gold. Maybe idea with atonement isn't something i like but this time this not bother me.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
Hmm, not much discussion on this series. Is this not a good sign?

EDIT: Oh, it must be because this series is licensed already. I didn't realize that until just now.

Anyway, I just got around to watching the first episode yesterday. Wow, great first episode. Really left me wanting more. It was quite funny though how the Emperor wants the boy dead because he talks in his sleep. I loved Delta's comment "what if he snored?" that got a laugh out of me as well.

I really like anime in this type of setting, and Production I.G. has done a nice job with the designs and backgrounds. The little bit of action was fun to watch as well, and I really would love to see more of Balsa (I'm really liking her so far) and her protection of this completely screwed over little prince. Man, his dad, what a guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
Ya, I got through 5 and this is a really good show, amazing animation through ad through, from the fluidity of characters to the great detail of the surroundings. Which only adds onto the awesome fights that are here with the decent story of a hatching water fiend/spirit. Me so love it right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
Up to 18 atm and it's my favorite show this year easily thus far, :( @ the lack of discussion on nearly every anime forum (cept for one which is full of raw and novel spoilers!).
ace52387

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote

This is what I can only assume is the cover of the novel. I really loved the way Seirei no Moribito looked...until I saw this. I kind of wish they had used a similar style to this image, or at least similar designs. From what I can see, the design inspiration leans towards Chinese, more so in this image, but even in the Anime.

I just finished 25. The characters seem a little blunt; always outwardly stating their emotions but other than that, I totally adore this series. I'm a bit of a softie for stories centered around virtue, duty and heroism. Seirei no Moribito strikes that note on the expected, fate-of-the-world scale, but also highlights self sacrifice for nothing more than the life of a single person.

I also rather enjoy the action scenes. Even if the animation isn't all that smooth, the choreography is a million miles a minute. I also got a real sense of life and death struggle, which many western movies handle well (like any one of the Bourne movies), but isn't all that prevolent in Anime. At least in Balsa's scenes, the whole violent aspect kind of jumps out at you. It doesn't seem calculated or competitive; just brutal.

As for the novel being published, is it still happening? Wiki has it slated for summer, but it's almost winter.

I generally hate shows that drag on for hundreds of episodes but I think the Guardian series has room to do just that. Instead of dragging out one story, it expands into many separate stories, all separated by some length of time. If there are 10 novels in the series, it's certainly rich in plot material and has room to become a long running franchise. I wonder if they'll adapt the next book anytime soon.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This was definitely my favorite show of 2007.

The story was simple, but the cast made the show so addicting. Even during the quieter moments, I found it a joy to watch them go about their daily lives. Animation wise, it was mostly consistent with a small dip in quality during the last big battle, though it didn't hinder it at all, IMO. For the art design, I can't praise it enough! Every single set piece was absolutely gorgeous to look at, from cave systems to palace hallways. The architecture was so well thought out and beautifully stunning that I really felt sucked into every scene.

It's setting reminded me of other majestic works, like the lush world of Princess Mononoke or the fine attention to detail in Last Exile. Totally worthy of being called a masterpiece, in my wholehearted opinion.

Cliffs: I liked the show.

Razz
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Maken Buster wrote:
This was definitely my favorite show of 2007.

Crap! Thanks for reminding me I need to finish this! Anime cry

Seirei really looks like it would be a mega-fave of mine, seeing as I love Kenji Kamiyama (and I.G). I just haven't had the chance to get around to watching it all. When I do have the chance, I end up watching something else. Oh well, it's another series to add to my "late list": Mushi-Shi, Mononoke, Baccano!...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3