• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto to Run Uncut on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
What could they get that isn't shonen but is still action? Most action anime is shonen. And American action cartoons are fairly hard to come by. And it has to have been licensed already. And it has to be dubbed. And Toonami has to be able to afford it. There isn't a lot to pick from.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
how much did they cut the first time?....

A lot of the early episodes had blood and swearing cut that was present on the uncut DVDs. Later episodes, that aired during a later time slot, were basically uncut if they were cut at all.

unfortunately this "uncut version" would likely be edited too, though for only for the last epsiode on the raiga filler arc.

However i am glad it'll be broadcasted uncut,but i wasnt susprised. since toonami eventually showed gundam wing uncut during it's weeknight midnight run years ago, i knew eventually it will get an uncut broadcast too.

but what i am really susprised & pissed off is that HOW IN THE HOLY HIGH HELL IS DISNEY STILL HAVE THE SHIPPUDEN LICENSE AFTER ALL THIS TIME?????

I mean it no longer shows on disney at all, and we all know that this experiment was a big time flop. i just hope that their not gonna pull a 4kids and try to keep the broadcast license for as long as they can.

Are they
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jlaking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Also isn't the FCC is another reason why anime get edited for broadcast in US except late night like Toonami.

Broadcast channels are channels that are over-the-air like Fox, NBC and PBS. Cartoon Network is a cable channel and is not under the FCC's content rules and standards.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I think that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure would be phenomenal for Adult Swim. But...music licenses and dubbing issues ahoy. Sad
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Also isn't the FCC is another reason why anime get edited for broadcast in US except late night like Toonami.

Broadcast channels are channels that are over-the-air like Fox, NBC and PBS. Cartoon Network is a cable channel and is not under the FCC's content rules and standards.

Really?? I didn't know of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
jlaking wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Really?? I didn't know of that.

True, but cable networks have their own set of standards and practices, though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
True, but cable networks have their own set of standards and practices, though.

Mostly governed by what advertisers' demands are.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
FCC has few cable content rules, mainly children's programming/ads. Plus obscenity laws apply to all media. But yeah, other than those, it's mainly up to the network sponsors and public relations.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Oh snap, I might actually watch this

Dunno if somebody's already beat me to it but this is a great excuse to post this high-quality promo, one of Toonami's last true greats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

It's less about being annoying and more about Naruto being Naruto.

Okay stop, I can't deal. You make it sound like that one phrase completely changes the character, when it really does not.

dragon695 wrote:
Most Japanese fans are used to this since other series also have characters with speech quirks.

Do you mean sub fans or Japanese fans? Clarify please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8