• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girlish Number

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Slightly different than what I was talking about, those are example of VA who get hired despite there "non harmonious" conduct. I'm talking more about making it her signature style, her brand if you want. She'd be the real person VA, not the commercial manufactured VA.

You're talking about someone trying to market themselves as basically an "anti-idol" when the CORE market for most of these people and their product IS people that WANT to buy the "fantasy". Even though outsiders are consistently aghast at things like the "no dating" policies of Japan's idol industry, its still big business IN Japan.

The kind of person you're talking about MIGHT (and I stress MIGHT) be able to make a living as a DJ/podcaster who talk about such things. But considering the type of anime that gets produced consistently, I can't see the type of person you're talking about having a sustained successful "career" in the current climate.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Everything you need to know about this series:

Chitose listening to her brother's CD drama:

"He really kind of sucks."

Chitose thinking about her brother's career after finishing listening to the whole thing:

"Why did he decide to quit?"

I really thought she'd ask why he wanted to be a voice actor in the first place, leading to her question what she was doing with her life but this is exactly the exact opposite of what should be going through her head.

"No, this means she's thinking she should quit." She criticized his acting using her own experience and skills she gained as a voice actor but failed to consider that it could be the reason he stopped auditioning? The episode should have ended on her connecting her brother's career to her own, not setting up some "great mystery" for the next episode to reveal which we already know from his POV.

Time to say it: This show's structure depends on Chitose's POV and motivations but she has neither. I'd drop it but there's only two episodes left now.
otagirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
^
Well obviously, sucking as a newbie is obviously no reason to give up. There are a multitude of other factors which Gojo listed at some point during his internal monologue. Chitose is too dumb to realize what combination it was for herself.

They've already covered why she started VA. The question she's really asking herself is "why stay". Thats something I grapple with myself every couple years or so with my job. It sucks to come to that point of thinking you dont want to stick around.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
^
Well obviously, sucking as a newbie is obviously no reason to give up. There are a multitude of other factors which Gojo listed at some point during his internal monologue. Chitose is too dumb to realize what combination it was for herself.

They've already covered why she started VA. The question she's really asking herself is "why stay". Thats something I grapple with myself every couple years or so with my job. It sucks to come to that point of thinking you dont want to stick around.

I thought the series only covered how she got her professional start and the reason why only up recently in episode 11: She's selfish and can't do anything else. Seems legit?

I still have no idea of what sort of acting she's done or training she's had for something she says she wants to do... for a comparison, I'm watching Locodol now and there's a character who wants to become a voice actress and for some reason she's a member of the high school drama club; I have no idea how that's related to acting! but there's bound to be some connection... the most this show thinks these girls need is some advice from the Sound Director and some talent. The least is just the advice part.

"Quit when he gave up" Sucking as a newbie? I don't know what kind of role Gojo had in that drama CD but let's say "prominent". You don't give newbies roles like that, there are auditions, there are interviews and expectations... possibly good direction is involved at some point... and if in the end, you still suck then all the experience and practice in the world won't help you if you just don't have the talent for acting.

Bringing it all back to Chitose, is she bad or just inexperienced? Since I've been wondering about that since the first episode... I leaned on "inexperienced but she's working hard to overcome that" only to be told by the series that she only worked hard for the live events for some reason... I'm irritated that by episode 11, I still have no answer to that; The series seems to answer "Yes?" but doesn't seem to understand perseverance doesn't make art. Plus the fact that she's not really trying doesn't help.

This isn't quite as bad as Kaleido Star where lead character Sora ultimately wants to be the main star attraction but she doesn't want to compete with any other stars for that lead position... I think it was meant to come off that she doesn't want the jealousy and drama that comes with rivalry but it makes her come off as a overindulgent diva who knows she will always be the best one for the spotlight...

But there's the difference: Sora has talent and she does work hard but she doesn't want to audition against other people for leading roles; Chitose has no talent... I think? Her fellow actors in the last episode seem to waver both ways.... and doesn't work hard but at least Chitose is aware how messed up her desire of earning a starring role without talent or a work ethic is.
phatmlrd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
AOTS for me. The endings to the other shows I've watched this season left me feeling flat, but this one hit the mark. After the first episode I thought the OP was trolling us since I couldn't see how these five could become all buddy buddy. Yet here we are! The journey to get here felt very natural and was a lot of fun to watch. Each episode was a pleasure to watch. I'm going to miss my Chitose wednesdays Sad
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
htis is kind of like, bad workers can try their best and have bad results but still enjoy their jobs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8