• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
yeah... right

real media and good quality in the same sentence is an oxymoron
When the hell did I say that RealMedia was good quality? I was using it as an example that downloaded fansubs are not always "ZOMG!" better quality than youtube. Hell, I've even bought legit anime DVDs that are far crappier than anything youtube has. Please go back and read my post before you respond to it and try again
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
yeah... right

real media and good quality in the same sentence is an oxymoron

Oh. I thought he meant real media, as in CDs or DVDs, and good quality were an oxymoron. I was thinking he was another Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan wrote:
There’s no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like — static. Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded ‘em. CDs are small. There’s no stature to it. I remember when that Napster guy came up across, it was like, ‘Everybody’s gettin’ music for free.’ I was like, ‘Well, why not? It ain’t worth nothing anyway.’
10円

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, it really takes forever to post in an Answerman thread after the 'read and remember everything before posting' rule was imposed. Whew!

Ryllharu wrote:
Anime on Youtube is a problem...

Well sure, you have the ethical problems and the diversion of funds that content creators require to continue their work and the possibility of scarce resources being wasted on otherwise unnecessary legal battles and the like.

Ryllharu wrote:
...the quality is terrible, the episodes are split into segments, and generally, watching them there does not give any credit to the fansubbing community who put all the effort in to make it understandable.

Credit to the fansubbing community? Is that really where you really think credit is due?! It's one thing to bring over a title that's decades old and has virtually no chance of being brought over any other way, but that's not what most fansubbers do. They just pirate whatever happens to be playing in Japan long before anybody knows if it will be released elsewhere. There is no real honor in the fansubbing community, despite the never-ending cheer leading they seem to enjoy. When all the actual creators of the anime that plays on Youtube have been credited by paying patrons then we can worry about giving the enablers of parasites their proper due.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
"Which you still haven't grown out of, obviously. "

said the mature one that post in a japanese cartoon forum.....

ok, tell me "oh mature one"

did you ever watch "out of this world" "the classic superman cartoons" "samurai pizza cats"?
I don't know about "Out of this World" .The weren't any Superman cartoons, or Samurai Pizza Cats here in the UK when I was a kid. Just British animations in monochrome.

Quote:
you are not only insulting me, you are insulting this whole generation of kids that grew up watching stuff that only yoube has now.
Only in your mind mate.

Quote:
and yes, actually you are right, I get what I want without caring for anything else, but...it'snt everyone?
Er. no.

Quote:
But Mohawk52, I didn't know you are allowed to falsify replies and quote lines that doesn't exist...you are an hedonistic little rodent!!
There seems to be a lot of things you didn't know by your own admission. I only interpreted just what your little boost meant in real terms. Sorry if the truth hurts, but there you are.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
If you know where and who to get your vids on YouTube from you can get full episodes (not cut up) and some pretty damn good quality on it. That aside though it really is better to have it on hard drive, but when you when you want to just preview an episode or two without taking the time to download it at least there is YouTube..thank god for fansubs though I have yet to regret a purchase...well at least there hasn't been that many that I have regretted. There are a few other sites that have some good quality vids (they are Youtube clones).

Quote:
you are not only insulting me, you are insulting this whole generation of kids that grew up watching stuff that only yoube has now.

Huh? YouTube isn't the only one who has anything, those people get those anime episodes from torrents. Wink
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
No, I really have found good quality videos on YouTube. No joke here.

Or is that too foreign a concept for you to understand?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evilkitty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'll ever watch on youtube is old Gargoyle or Johny Quest. The only imaginable way someone would use youtube to preview is if they live in Indonesia and could not afford the ridicoulously priced and low quality anime or internet connection. Maybe if I lived in an LDC I would use youtube too. Just fork over the money get a nize connection and download the fansubs. Well, unless you're a masochist and enjoy the crappy quality which is 99% of the stuff on shtube. How can you preview anything on lostube anyway? The crappy quality and short clips are a good medium? Usually reviews from a certain site are a lot better or at least download the first three eps. Then decide. I think someone has made this point probably though I doubt it from the 75% I read.
These shtubers have really pissed me off so I had to post. Thanxs answerman or team you rock!!!

On American Manga:
Yeah, most of it is garbage. But hey, I know I'm very happy when I see Megatokyo in my colleges bookstore next to XXXHOLiC. Also the nize little Megatokyo shrine on our wall is mad cute so I know I won't give up on American Manga.

The Resume:
So cute. I love penguins. I think you should have hired him and given him his own dunce section. It would be splendidly funny. Pay him 50 cents a week.

Fillers:
Part of the reason I say, besides the fact that they are the wimpiest and most unrealistic ninjas, to hell with Naruto. Fillers are a fact of life like going to the bathroom and dying. They are also very simmilar.

The Rant:
Maybe his budget is so tight he can't get a nize machine and good connection. So he is left to utube. Frankly, when I do buy the dvd if I like the anime, I can usually watch it more than the first time I saw it as a fansub. If you can only watch something once then you have no interest in it. An anime one-minute man if you will. Then maybe the shtube is for you. I hate youtube btw. Everything is stolen from everybody and nobody knows or has anything.
10円

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
evilkitty wrote:
(First post ever)

That has to be one of the most negative opening posts I've read in a while. Welcome to the forum. Twisted Evil
alayajoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
Subtitles versus Volume #'s
Frankly, I like to have both on a DVD. It's easier for me to find the next volume if the numbers right on it. However, to dismiss subtitles is a little boring. Sometimes those titles can give a little hint about what is contained therein. I like that, especially when I haven't seen the espisodes yet.

The Japenese manga versus "Other"
Some other posts have tossed around the fact that these "Other" markets are recently new compared to the Japenese market for manga. And I'd like to point out that as an artist myself, I have had to learn that "practice makes better." Yes a lot of the American manga and whatnot is not good, to be polite. But then Rembrant was not good at the beginning of his career either. In formal art schools, aspiring artists a taught about the past. This is not so we can copy the "Masters" work. It is for us to grow as artists. Learn about the past so that you don't keep making the same stuff over and over again. So you can know what's been done, and grow in your own direction. I see the American manga community as being in the middle-beginning of this process. Yes it is painful, but it will help us to grow. So practice! This is how Japanese manga-ka get to be Japanese manga-ka. They don't sit down one day and draw a beautiful piece. Even experienced manga-ka's often go through a lot of lead working on layouts and character design, ect. That's part of the process. Many of the, American manga especially, are printed, it feels to me like a first draft. The practice and thought processes just aren't there. However, please be patient, it will get better as long as the consumers continue to demand higher quality work. That's my mini-rant...

As for the Youtube question, for me it's a matter of availability and computer memory. If I can get an anime on DVD at my local video store or through the internet, I go for it. However, I've found a lot of stuff that I can't get yet, or maybe never. That's why I feel that fansubs should be there anymore. I dont' have a lot of memory on my computer for a lot of downloads (too many freakin' graphics programs Very Happy ) so youtube and others are a viable option for me. Although I agree the quality can really suck. So I guess I'm middle of the road. I want to see more stuff than what is currently available State's side. If more stuff would be licensed, that's where I would go. I don't watch it if it has been licensed for the U.S., but if I can see stuff that I can't get now, I go for it. This really feels like the scanlation arguement that's been on-going as well. And I have the same view for that. I do prefer supporting the artists and authors that have put so much of thier sanity into work, just so for our own enjoyment.

Please think, that's all I ask.
rebii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
Actually, I prefer fansub, and buy those series I'm interested in, when they're complete. I like the extras of the DVDs, like watching on big screen, home theater, interviews and comments. Whether I watch in English, or Japanese I turn on the subtitles, because dubs, as of necessity don't always carry the full meaning.

For those who scorn fansubs, you miss out on some very good series that are unlikely to be released in USA. If you've not tried them I recommend the following:

Monster: I can't say too much. A bit like the US series and movie The Fugitive, but with better writing and acting. This story sweeps across post-Berlin wall Germany with the hero in pursuit of a serial killer. It's length some 70 episodes make a US release unlikely, what a shame hookers, hitmen, neo nazis and a good man on the run, all put together seamlessly, without contrivance.

Kemondzume: Where Gantz was going for shock value but the plot was thin, Kenomdzume deliverfs on both counts, great look, graphic violence and sex, but plot essential, not fanservice.

Mai Otome: Starts out kind of Anne of Green Gables and sweeps into a vast civil war with honor and friendship on the line. Note if girl-girl affection turns you off don't watch. It's an element for some characters, not the focal point of the series.

Simoun: In progress, nearly complete, as above if the girl-girl things upsets you don't bother. Different planet, different culture, different war, but it also gives some serious thought about the effect of war on people. I speak from the perspective of a Viet-vet.

I suggest yuo read the ANN reviews and ratings first. I am not alone.

To the radicals on either side of the fansub issue, knock it off, they both have their points.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
rebii wrote:

Monster: [...] It's length some 70 episodes make a US release unlikely

Really? I don't see why that kind of length would be an issue. FUNi started dubbing Meitantei Conan (although I don't know if they're really taking it all the way since CN dropped it from their [as] line-up, thxmuch guys). They're also doing Crayon Shin-Chan. DBZ alone was 291 episodes.

Of course those are all from one dubber, and maybe FUNi likes the long ones, but 70 episodes shouldn't be a problem for any dubber.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
rebii wrote:

Monster: [...] It's length some 70 episodes make a US release unlikely

Really? I don't see why that kind of length would be an issue. FUNi started dubbing Meitantei Conan (although I don't know if they're really taking it all the way since CN dropped it from their [as] line-up, thxmuch guys). They're also doing Crayon Shin-Chan. DBZ alone was 291 episodes.

Of course those are all from one dubber, and maybe FUNi likes the long ones, but 70 episodes shouldn't be a problem for any dubber.

Exactly! Dubbing a 200+ episode series but not a 70-ep one? That smacks of double-standards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Heck, Naruto is already WELL over 100, Bleach is up there (isn't it? I haven't been watching it admittedly), Ranma was pretty long as was Urusei Yatsura, altho I almost think the latter saw a full release purely based on the stubbornness of AnimEigo. (no ill thoughts intended by that statement) I think to get seriously considered for US release at over 100 a series has to be a solid hit candidate. ("A" title) 13 or less eps can be pretty much anything depending on the license cost (try it and see what sticks) But arguably, 50-100 eps COULD be a "decent" show that may or may not work (a "B" title) and those are currently the biggest risks for the industry atm, so a 70 ep series could be avoided, but I don't think a series would be dodged SOLELY based on ep count, not anymore anyway.
rebii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Valid points about length of series, but still, it's been out a bit and still no takers. It does come to a definite conclusion, with further episodes unlikely. It is not the type of series to generate plushies or figures. Just a great well told story with fascinating characters, good acting, dialogue, animation and directing. There is little probability for a secondary market.

Your most welcome replies to the 70 episode rationale helped me think a bit deeper. I suggest you try a download, and see what I mean. I will be first in line to buy the seriies when they put it out.

thanks again for your thoughts. Smile
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8