• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The World's Finest Assassin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I didn't like the cliffhanger resolution. Not because I ever thought he would truly accept the job as it was presented last week, but I was hoping Cian had. I wanted the assassin to come into conflict with the his personal desires, not be given an easy way out.

Rest of the episode was fine though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:15 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I guess it makes sense that they'd frame "saving" Dia through an assassination.

So...big reveals are that Dia is Lugh's cousin (not that I expect it to effect their relationship much, though is Esri Dia's aunt?) and Cian once did something of his own accord and not for the Tuatha De, and it was for Esri. Seems like the Tuatha De have a taste for Viekone women, which probably explains why Ersi was so amused by Lugh's feelings for Dia

also it confirms my conception within the anime community post oreimo.

similar with jobless reincarnation (with both rudeus & eris also cousins) it seems that just like with the revelation concerning lugh and dia, people have zero issues if their cousins, but then those same people will start taking out their pitchforks against certain light novel authors if their main couples are blood related siblings!

its the definition of the contradiction term "HAVING YOUR CAKE AND EATING IT TOO!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

similar with jobless reincarnation (with both rudeus & eris also cousins) it seems that just like with the revelation concerning lugh and dia, people have zero issues if their cousins, but then those same people will start taking out their pitchforks against certain light novel authors if their main couples are blood related siblings!

its the definition of the contradiction term "HAVING YOUR CAKE AND EATING IT TOO!"

That's going a bit far. Nothing says that Lugh and Dia are cousins, that is an assumption by the reviewer. All we know is that Esri comes from the Viekone family, but we don't know if she is Dia's aunt, sister, cousin, or more distantly related than that. Esri could be from the main family or from a branch family. Dia and Lugh could be cousins, second cousins, third cousins, or something completely else. We don't know.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

That's going a bit far. Nothing says that Lugh and Dia are cousins, that is an assumption by the reviewer. All we know is that Esri comes from the Viekone family, but we don't know if she is Dia's aunt, sister, cousin, or more distantly related than that. Esri could be from the main family or from a branch family. Dia and Lugh could be cousins, second cousins, third cousins, or something completely else. We don't know.

Lugh's father says they're cousins. He probably would have said something else if they were more distant imo.

Regardless, I also think that's not a great comparison for siblings and cousins. Your sibling shares 50% of your DNA, the same as you do with each parent, and you presumably grew up living with them. Your first cousin only shares 12.5% of your DNA and more often then not, did not grow up living with them.

I think it much more understandable why people would be ok with one and not the other.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:36 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Lugh's father says they're cousins. He probably would have said something else if they were more distant imo.

Regardless, I also think that's not a great comparison for siblings and cousins. Your sibling shares 50% of your DNA, the same as you do with each parent, and you presumably grew up living with them. Your first cousin only shares 12.5% of your DNA and more often then not, did not grow up living with them.

I think it much more understandable why people would be ok with one and not the other.

Did he say that? I must have missed that line in the episode somehow. Well, scratch my last post then!
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
Nobility and Cousins are more common then people thing Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are second cousins, so it doesn't surprise me.

This episode was very rushed and felt like it's whole purpose was to quickly go to the final mini-arc and allow a little time for post save the princess resolution.

I wonder if we will ever find out what the mystery D ranked skill Lugh gave himself that apparently OP.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

Did he say that? I must have missed that line in the episode somehow. Well, scratch my last post then!

Yeah, it happens right before he mentions that Lugh's mother is a part of that family and that the silver hair is a trait they share. No worries though.

Picky33 wrote:

I wonder if we will ever find out what the mystery D ranked skill Lugh gave himself that apparently OP.

I was curious and checked the wiki after that episode spoiler[and while I don't know how up to date it is, the skill still wasn't revealed at that point. I'm guessing it's something that will come up in the final battle and be revealed then]
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
Well that last scene ended the season exactly the way I assumed it would. I was a bit surprised by Epona's design, it's different from the LN illustrations though I can't quite pin down what those differences are... Still, really excited for a (hopeful) second season in the future.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So Setanta wasn't the Hero. However, I wonder if he was another of the goddess' pawns meant to kill the Hero. After all, he had the Berserk S-rank skill and another skill that let him keep his sanity as well. That's a pretty “lucky” combo right there.

Major future spoilers; spoiler[Setanta isn't dead. He has the Berserk skill because Epona(hero) 'loaned' it to him. The other skill is his own. Unfortunately, the hero doesn't have the other skill. If she did, there'd be no story...]
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the tungsten rod I thought, "Wait, they can't be doing what I think they're doing" and then they did. Well done. I appreciate the use of wind magic, set up earlier, to take care of re-entry issues, though I would have liked more explanation on aiming beyond a few practice shots. Even if it was just magic targeting or something.

Considering how close he was, even with a shield (that he only put up after the blast...) he probably should have been vaporized too, but obviously that couldn't happen or the series would (likely) be over lol

Hopefully we get a second season as much of this seems like a prologue, getting all the characters in to place that we see in episode 1.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
So Setanta wasn't the Hero. However, I wonder if he was another of the goddess' pawns meant to kill the Hero. After all, he had the Berserk S-rank skill and another skill that let him keep his sanity as well. That's a pretty “lucky” combo right there.

Major future spoilers; spoiler[Setanta isn't dead. He has the Berserk skill because Epona(hero) 'loaned' it to him. The other skill is his own. Unfortunately, the hero doesn't have the other skill. If she did, there'd be no story...]

hold on? i was told by LN and manga readers that epona spoiler[ is actually a boy despite his girl like appearance ala astofolo ]

also im curious on that as well!

what did he chose as his D rank skill and what was it that made him say that the gods are blind?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
hold on? i was told by LN and manga readers that epona spoiler[ is actually a boy despite his girl like appearance ala astofolo ]

spoiler[It's a she.] Also, fix your spoiler.

Quote:
what did he chose as his D rank skill and what was it that made him say that the gods are blind?

We don't know yet. At least not in the English novel release so far.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Fixed jr240483' s spoiler tags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Lugh got to meet Dia's dad (voiced by Daisuke Hirakawa) who realizes now he's lost his daughter on several levels. He also had the best line of the episode "I don't even know what assassination is any more."

Red Lancer! I mean, Setanta! I don't blame Lugh for thinking this guy was the Hero, although I guess it puts into perspective how OP the real Hero is going to end up being.

All of Lugh's plans to kill the Hero come to fruition, even the beach episode was plot relevant.

That was a nice kiss between Lugh and Dia.

So now Lugh has two fake sisters who have the hots for him. And one of them is actually his cousin. Incest sure is relative.

I'm assuming the redhead at the end was the reincarnated teacher? The Hero looks pretty kind and soft, so I wonder why their "rampage" kicks in.
LuScr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get another season of this. The anime was apparently pretty popular in Japan, but it didn't lead to a corresponding bump in LN and manga sales, which is usually not a good sign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9