• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I loved that song, I thought it was better as the original.

Was there even an insert song during that breakup scene in the original? Because I watched the French version of Sailor Moon and there was nothing but silence during that scene.

Yeah, for Sailor Moon English version there were always insert songs, just like the original Japanese. I loved this song. xD

I can't believe they made silence with the French version.
yukikanou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually LOVED Psycho Diver and the rapping is from the original song, "Warfare-Beware" (if you would have purchased the original soundtrack, like I did), although the name of the rapper is not listed in the original lyric book/sheet.

I think even funnier than Funky (as mentioned in the article) is the name Umineko Tsuki being the lyricist for both songs! (Of course, it is more than likely a pen name.)

(Little known fact: "Psycho Diving" (when Busujima/Bosujima dives) is by SORMA...who did the remix to "Canary", from the "Hane" album, by KOTOKO.)
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
1stAgent wrote:
I for one am totally in favor of dubbing insert songs. I write singable English lyrics for anime songs, and I get overwhelmingly good response when I perform them at karaoke. Dubbed anime songs can be done and they can be done well.

But God, those were awful. I can barely tolerate the "pleasant, though clearly a little amateur sounding" ones that were mentioned.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth for dubbers, but it can be done. By not half-assing the production and with just a little attention to the lyrics and using, oh I don't know, meter and rhythm, they can be good. Those failures back in the day just ruin it for the rest of us who maintain that one success increases a dub's value ten-fold.

Best transfer from English to Japanese on an insert song still has to be Slayers Next. After a so-so attempt at English, Lina yells "Now in Japanese!" before the full production.

Ya I do something similar I do " fanlyrics"
http://zippydsm.deviantart.com/

I try and hammer out lyrics that match the theme of the song or if I am inspired enough I eek out a theme that parallels the song.

Mind you I suck but I enjoy the word play.

I think Ranma and even BGC are the best song dubs, when they try and do the song justice and merely convert into english it coems out better than them translating it since translation is technical and converting song is more artfull and harder to do since the licenseing fees make it worthless to translate the song.

Sometimes I don't know whats worse a enrish song in english or a fishy dub A few of the inuyahsa songs got translated by their artists and frankly I hated them because they went to far away from the core flow of the original song...speaking of which I still need to do fanlyrics for fukai mori and shinjitsu no uta...but I have my hands full with Sora ni Saku...then again fukai mori lit translation is worse hehehehehehe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
yukikanou wrote:
I actually LOVED Psycho Diver and the rapping is from the original song, "Warfare-Beware" (if you would have purchased the original soundtrack, like I did), although the name of the rapper is not listed in the original lyric book/sheet.

I think even funnier than Funky (as mentioned in the article) is the name Umineko Tsuki being the lyricist for both songs! (Of course, it is more than likely a pen name.)

(Little known fact: "Psycho Diving" (when Busujima/Bosujima dives) is by SORMA...who did the remix to "Canary", from the "Hane" album, by KOTOKO.)

I know its been 4 years since this topic, but I just finished listening to the original Japanese rap number, and its 100xs better than Kate Vogt's version.

Both the Japanese & English versions were recorded in 1994. And it shows.

I did some research, and it turns out that this was Urban Vision's first release & they were quite ambitious about it. What happened was that they couldn't get the rights to translate and use the hip hop song, so they had no choice but to rework it themselves. Kate Vogt was contracted to do a special rendition of it. Problem was a inexperienced singer and was obvious to rap. But nonetheless, the ADR studio was impressed on how solid her effort turned out to be. Psycho Diver was originally planned for Release in North America in November 1994. Problem was, UV wasn't sure the execution would turn out well so they test marketed instead selling it only through mail order catolouge & Urban Vision convention panels for almost 3 years limited it sales to obsurity, by the time it was wide release in February 1997, too much time had passed and the title had become too dated and preachy.

By the time UV finally got the license for DVD masters in early 2002, it was pretty much over for the label and plans for a Psycho Diver DVD remaster were scrapped
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8