• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Law of Anime Part I: Copyright and the Anime Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
And once again Kikaioh feels the need to claim his own ethical code is the only objective one. Not everybody considers illegal behavior to be unethical; all sorts of silliness emerges if you get trapped in that box.

Where in my post did I say that my own ethical code is the only objective one? And where did I equate illegal to unethical behavior? You've read into my post ideas that aren't even there.
zegron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
samuelp wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
This seems like a good place to ask. I've heard that if the Copyright holders don't enforce it, they might loose it. Is that true?

That's trademark, not copyright, which are 2 very different things.

Although you don't lose your copyright if you don't enforce it, you may lose your ability to enforce it against certain parties due to the equitable doctrine of laches. If you allow someone to essentially infringe your copyright and do nothing about it for a prolonged period of time, and if they rely on your lack of enforcement to a certain level (usually by investing in the infringement to some substantial degree), a court might deny your ability to get damages or an injunction against that person.

For example, a current situation where this doctrine could have potentially applied at some point is an indie fighting game which I saw featured on Game Spot recently called My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic. As far as I know, the game's creators had no agreement with Hasbro or the people involved with creating the TV show. They were operating under the hope that they wouldn't be shut down. Apparently the game had been featured at some MLP and game conventions, and people involved with the TV show were aware of it but didn't stop them until this month. I'm not sure how much these people actually invested in the game (money wise), but if they had been allowed to continue on to completion and actually start distributing the game, they might have had a valid defense against suit by Hasbro, which is probably why Hasbro shut them down.

Article

Shut Down Notice

The infamous Calvin peeing on (car logo) bumper stickers, window clings, etc would be another example
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I know this is old, so i'm probably not going to get an answer, but where does review videos that feature clips from an anime come in? And what about abridged series?
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Short clips for review purposes are well-settled fair use; abridged series not so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9