• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hideaki Anno Voices His Concerns About the Anime Industry

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm not sure why you're bringing up One Piece, Dragonball, and Attack on Titan either. Neither of their creators have spoken out about the industry, which was my point. The people who are making popular anime now (sans Toriyama, unless you count Kai) are the ones who will have little problem with the state of the industry. It's these individuals that have no place left in the industry that seem to be the most critical.

Toriyama Akira re-worked the plot and character storylines for Dragon Ball Z: Kami to Kami in 2013 from Watanabe Yuusuke's original draft and is now the 'writer' of the 2015 film, where he doesn't have to worry about drawing it and can obsess over the story and characters as much as he wants.

That being said, Toriyama doesn't really read comics or watch animation, so he doesn't care. This is the same guy who did whatever his editor or his previous editor told him to do during the Artificial Humans arc, after all.

Toriyama's a pretty poisonous guy, though. By his own admission he doesn't do 'wholesome' works so I doubt he really cares if 'moe' is popular.

CoreSignal wrote:

To be fair, you're cherry-picking your examples here. Someone who wants to get into anime but doesn't want to watch a show with mostly child characters or magic, is not going to be interested in these shows. What is "appealing to the mainstream" is going to be different for each person, so I don't know why you didn't choose a more varied list. It's the same as someone asking me for a good American show that isn't a sitcom or comedy, and then I recommend three versions of Law & Order and three versions of CSI.

Someone who wants to 'get into' Japanese cartoons is not going to care about 'the mainstream'. The only 'mainstream'--the shows Fox airs--cartoons aren't even made by people who love animation, let alone viewed as anything more than disposable entertainment. The mainstream does not accept cartoons as a dramatic medium, so one has to be an opened-minded geek to ever even consider it in the first place.

Last edited by JulieYBM on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
But my point is, why can't we improve the industry?

Improve it in what way?
I have read many comments like this, but I still do not understand what it is that needs to be improved.
Most of the arguments seem to come down to "Make more anime that I like!"

Quote:
... appealing to the non-otaku audience,

But what does that mean? Anybody could be an otaku.
If you made a show that people like to the point of being dedicated to watching it then they would be otaku for that show.
So, who would your ideal anime be made for? Who is the target audience?

Quote:
They haven't produced much lately, but Miyazaki, Tomino, Anno, and Otomo are incredibly influential.

Then aren't they largely responsible for the condition of the current anime industry? Be it good or bad.
Didn't they gain their influence by making shows that are popular with otaku, and/or children?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ugoki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Let's hear some of the great, amazing stories that were told in the past, shall we?

World Masterpiece Theater. Cool

Lavnovice9 wrote:

Also daily reminder this was one of the more popular and beloved anime of the 80s. People complain about fanservice today but that show was literally the same joke every episode, for 100 episodes, and multiple OVA/movie spin-offs. Fapbait existed in all eras. It's just the internet didn't exist back then so most westerners didn't know of most anime which aired in Japan at the time.

spoiler[I weep when I knew it got more views than the above back then.]

Last edited by Ugoki on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
There are 170 Japanese animated series produced in 2014. That is higher than the past few years, meaning demand is higher than usual. Whether this demand is from 'mainstream audiences' or 'long-time fans of animation and participates in the animation fandom' could be devised by checking the aforementioned list of series.

The thing is, the arguments in this thread are arguing for a third party that does not exist. 'Mainstream' cartoons are--for the most part--just the family or kids cartoons airing during the morning, mid-day, or prime time slots. There is no sustainable audience for an animated series for this supposed third party of 'adults who like cartoons', but want 'a different sort of pandering' from the sort 'Otaku' receive.

'Otaku' cartoons exist because Otaku have committed to commercially supporting the sort of works they want. That very concept of committing is in direct conflict with the idea of cartoons for mainstream adult. Cartoons are expensive, time-consuming to create and view, and have to be created while weighing what might be more financially responsible options elsewhere.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Sorry to intrude in all these circular debates, but I just have one thing to ask:

Said Anno, "the Japanese animation industry has hit a dead end—it will be tough to escape unless we can make animation without commercial considerations... It may even be too late."

What does this mean?

Assuming the translation is accurate....

"the Japanese animation industry has hit a dead end" = Creatively, the anime industry is out of ideas.

"it will be tough to escape unless we can make animation without commercial considerations" - Our creativity is being stifled by the need to earn a living.

"It may even be too late." - Creating a work of art free from fan and corporate expectations would require either substantial independent patronage from a non-meddlesome source or staff that is willing to work pro bono. Both are unlikely to be found in sufficient quantity.

The gist of it is that Anno is making the same complaint nearly every published author or artist has made since the beginning of time - I just want to write/draw what I want, but they won't pay me to do that!

I see, I understand, thank you.

I can see how the industry is running out of ideas. Take this for example: In almost every 1st episode of an anime, there's a guy touching a girls boob, wondering 'Hmm, what is this soft thing?'. Now I think that this action in every first episode is only applicable to a certain moe/ harem/ comedy-romance genre, because "everyone" finds something like that funny. That's one of the issues I have.

IMO:

The issue about creativity being stifled by finances is not a unique problem that only the Japanese animation industry is experiencing. This is also not the first time this has happened.

Inflation causes the prices of goods to increase while people's income stays the same, thus there are less money, even for Otaku's, to spend on anime. Animation companies also lose a lot of money through illegal online streaming. Illegal online streaming is popular because, once again, people either do not have the money or the access to legal ways of viewing anime.

So maybe, before looking at improving the overall quality of anime, it is important to look at improving the economic context in which these anime are produced in, first.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The gist of it is that Anno is making the same complaint nearly every published author or artist has made since the beginning of time - I just want to write/draw what I want, but they won't pay me to do that!

I don't think Anno is naive as you're making him sound. Evangelion (TV series) is notorious for all the budget issues it had during production. He has first-hand experience of what it's like to write/draw whatever he wants with a lack of budget, i.e. the last third of Evangelion. Also, "without commercial considerations" doesn't necessarily mean abolish production committees or pay me for free. Anno may be unrealistic, but he's not stupid. Just look at his bank account.

JacobYBM wrote:
Someone who wants to 'get into' Japanese cartoons is not going to care about 'the mainstream'. The only 'mainstream'--the shows Fox airs--cartoons aren't even made by people who love animation, let alone viewed as anything more than disposable entertainment.

Huh? When I say 'get into' anime, I mean someone who wants to try anime and is looking for a good place to start. If you want to try anime, I assume you at least know what it is in the first place, meaning you accept that it can be a dramatic medium.

Touma wrote:
Improve it in what way?
I have read many comments like this, but I still do not understand what it is that needs to be improved.

Have production committees ease up a bit on requirements, take some chances with show ideas. As I said earlier, I have no idea how a show like Psycho-Pass or Terror in Resonance got made, but it's great that they did. I think there should be better ways to protect the environment, but it doesn't mean I can list each and every one of the ways. I don't claim to have all the answers.

Touma wrote:
But what does that mean? Anybody could be an otaku.
If you made a show that people like to the point of being dedicated to watching it then they would be otaku for that show.
So, who would your ideal anime be made for? Who is the target audience?

How can someone be an otaku if they he or she hasn't watched any anime before? Let me clarify, by mainstream I mean something that could appeal to a non-anime fan. When I say otaku, I mean someone who's already an established anime fan, i.e. has watched a lot of anime, buys merchandise, discusses anime, etc. I know some people will disagree with that definition but the above is what I mean by otaku. I'm an otaku because I do all those things. Someone who's a mainstream viewer may not do any of those things.

Also, plenty of otaku like mainstream shows. There are plenty of people who like One Piece, Naruto and they like, say, Oreimo and Girls und Panzer. By "ideal anime", I mean something both a non-fan and a fan can enjoy. But since you said "ideal", the question's already loaded because what a non-fan would like is going to differ for everyone.

Touma wrote:
Then aren't they largely responsible for the condition of the current anime industry? Be it good or bad.
Didn't they gain their influence by making shows that are popular with otaku, and/or children?

You're right, but if they're irrelevant and out of touch with today's industry, then why are they still influential? Shouldn't the industry have moved on from them?

JacobYBM wrote:
'Otaku' cartoons exist because Otaku have committed to commercially supporting the sort of works they want. That very concept of committing is in direct conflict with the idea of cartoons for mainstream adult. Cartoons are expensive, time-consuming to create and view, and have to be created while weighing what might be more financially responsible options elsewhere.

It sounds strange, but the goal is turn the "mainstream"/non-die hard anime fan, into a otaku so that they continue to support the industry. I think the way you can do that is through mainstream or gateway anime. Just in case anybody is wondering what these mystical, gateway anime are, I mean shows like Fullmetal Alchemist or Attack on Titan. I know many anime fans who say these were the shows that got them into anime. I find it a little funny that so many people get defensive the moment someone dares to suggest appealing to a non-anime fan. It's like anime fandom is an exclusive club that you can't be member of unless you watch "real" anime.

AlwaysAnnoyed wrote:
So maybe, before looking at improving the overall quality of anime, it is important to look at improving the economic context in which these anime are produced in, first.

This is a very good point. This entire debate we're having is essentially about funding anime.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ugoki wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Let's hear some of the great, amazing stories that were told in the past, shall we?

World Masterpiece Theater. Cool

Works based on old, classic tales. Fair enough. Only partial credit for them being adaptations, thus not that representative of creativity. Now, truth be told, WMT never sols well, but they kept making them. Why? Honestly, I don't know. I'm too cynical to think they made them "for the people".

Now, I'm going to impart to you all the reason why WTM is probably not being made anymore. It's the same reason "moe" (not an actual genre) is being made in large quantities. It's simple: more fans buy anime. WTM fans do not.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Aren't WMTs aired at family friendly times? So they'd just work off advertising like anything else, plus they tend to have sponsors like House Foods. Still, we haven't had a new one since 2009.

Back to the old "take chances/risks" on anime: haven't they? You can't accuse studios of not trying. Hell Studio 4C was nothing but risk-taking. You can't keep perpetually taking those risks if so many of them continue to never find audiences. If Aku no Hana had sold 4000 copies that might have been a success and their risk would have sort of paid off, but it sold a tenth of that number so the studio and producers take a hit and rethink their strategies going forward, which immediately means no second season, for sure.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
People seem to have this idea that otaku = moe and fanservice anime mentality stuck in their heads. Otaku just means obsessive viewer, usually late night anime. That includes Psycho Pass, Aku no Hana, and whatever other anime people try to say are bucking trends. Otaku anime is not a genre nor is it all the same. I see so many otaku anime praised as some kind of mainstream anime. Those shows bank on otaku buying their disks and merchandise to make them profitable. The people who watch mainstream anime are not going to be buying Psycho Pass or Aku no Hana. Any show that airs past midnight is not going for the mainstream crowd, it's going for the otaku crowd.

CoreSignal wrote:
You're right, but if they're irrelevant and out of touch with today's industry, then why are they still influential? Shouldn't the industry have moved on from them?

How are they still influential? Tezuka was influential but I don't see many people aping his idea/writing style or even art style anymore.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
To be fair, you're cherry-picking your examples here. Someone who wants to get into anime but doesn't want to watch a show with mostly child characters or magic, is not going to be interested in these shows. What is "appealing to the mainstream" is going to be different for each person, so I don't know why you didn't choose a more varied list. It's the same as someone asking me for a good American show that isn't a sitcom or comedy, and then I recommend three versions of Law & Order and three versions of CSI.

I think you're stumbling upon the conondrum of the argument. Those are not cherry picked shows, those are in fact the most popular series which have debuted this year. Youkai Watch and Magic Kaito 1412 have consistently been in the Top 10 ratings since they debuted and are some of the most mainstream anime currently airing.

When people say they want mainstream shows, they need to ask what they mean by mainstream. I keep seeing people cite Psycho Pass, but Psycho Pass is not a mainstream show. It aired in a 1 AM timeslot and was targetting the late night, disk buying demographic. In other words, otaku. When people say they want mainstream anime, they probably mean they want otaku anime of a certain type. Likewise, Attack on Titan also aired past midnight and is not aimed at the mainstream either. Mainstream anime are the ones I listed. Ones aimed at children and families. One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan, Youkai Watch, Pokemon, all those. Neither Titan nor Pass were aimed at anyone but hardcore late night anime watchers.

Quote:
Can someone explain what western focused means? Does western-focused mean macho guys blowing up stuff, lots of swearing, tons of sex and gore? It's like the reverse of what happens in many video game reviews. If a game is "very Japanese" that must mean it features little girls, a story that doesn't make any sense, or weird art design.

In my experience, it generally means shows that have a westernized setting and focus on action. For example, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan.

Quote:
Eva fans, both young and old, are still buying Evangelion merchandise, and Lili-Hime already posted the box office numbers for Eva 3.0. I'd say that's pretty good for a nearly 20 year-old show. Anno himself was/is an otaku. Honestly, otaku from the 90's aren't radically different from otaku now. Otaku loved the show back then mostly because of the cute girls and giant robots. And otaku nowadays still love cute girls and giant robots(though giant robots not as much). Part of the rationale for the Rebuild movies was to appeal to a "contemporary" audience, i.e. the current otaku crowd. And apparently it's working, based on the merchandise and ticket sales. So I don't see how Anno is out of the touch if there are still so many people (Japanese fans especially) that watch his work.

Which is perhaps why people take issue with Anno's criticism. Anno is one of the last people who should be complaining about marketing concerns in anime considering his lifeblood is based upon doing just that. It throws out mixed sgnals, if nothing else

-Stuart Smith
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The 90s was filled with long running shows that are considered masterpieces despite filler, Dragonball had more filler than actual canon and Rurouni Kenshin was about half filler.

I would say that the first 5 years of the 90s, pre 95 the year we got GITS and Memories so that was a good year, were the worst times ever in Anime history, When you've sorted through 50 shades of Dystopian Cyberpunk, which is about ever show brought over to the west at that time, what have you got left? There is bound to be some buried treasure I don't know of, but as it stands the only thing I can think of that was good was Ninja Scrolls.

People who hold the 80s and 90s up as some utopia probably haven't actually seen much anime from the time or were aware of what the situation was back then. Very few TV shows were being made, most of it was one or two shot OVAs. Could someone realistically list 10 shows a year during the 80s that were good? It might be hard just because some years 10 shows didn't even air. It's not like today where we have 100+ shows a year to pick from. Fiscally speaking anime is way healthier now than it was back then. Look at JoJo's. Despite it's popularity it took until the 2010s to get a TV adaption, rather than a few OVAs.

Also daily reminder this was one of the more popular and beloved anime of the 80s. People complain about fanservice today but that show was literally the same joke every episode, for 100 episodes, and multiple OVA/movie spin-offs. Fapbait existed in all eras. It's just the internet didn't exist back then so most westerners didn't know of most anime which aired in Japan at the time.

This is great, this needs to be shown everyone who who moans abut the modern industry. I wish they would moan about Anno, if they don't like fanservice complain to the guy who invented the boob bounce.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Back to the old "take chances/risks" on anime: haven't they? You can't accuse studios of not trying. Hell Studio 4C was nothing but risk-taking. You can't keep perpetually taking those risks if so many of them continue to never find audiences.

There is an audience for these types of shows, otherwise, Aku no Hana would've never made it past pre-production. But audience for this show is either too small or not buying enough merchandise. But why should we continue taking risks? I mean, so many shows that have tried have failed already.

Lavnovice9 wrote:
People seem to have this idea that otaku = moe and fanservice anime mentality stuck in their heads. Otaku just means obsessive viewer, usually late night anime. That includes Psycho Pass, Aku no Hana, and whatever other anime people try to say are bucking trends.Otaku anime is not a genre nor is it all the same. I see so many otaku anime praised as some kind of mainstream anime.

Good, now tell me what an otaku anime is then. You just said it's not fanservice and moe, and it's late night. So if some TV station airs One Piece and Naruto air past midnight then I guess that makes them otaku shows. Maybe we should just drop the terms mainstream and otaku and just call it anime.

Lavnovice9 wrote:
How are they still influential? Tezuka was influential but I don't see many people aping his idea/writing style or even art style anymore.

I hope you're aware that many of the animators, writers, and directors currently in the industry probably grew up watching Miyazaki, Tomino, and Anno's work. According to some people here, why would Tezuka be influential? he's just an old guy from the 60's. If he were still alive, he'd be completely out of touch with today's industry'Rolling Eyes'

Stuart Smith wrote:
Those are not cherry picked shows,those are in fact the most popular series which have debuted this year. Youkai Watch and Magic Kaito 1412 have consistently been in the Top 10 ratings since they debuted and are some of the most mainstream anime currently airing.

I disagree. Why didn't you include One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, or even Pokemon? Those shows get consistently good ratings as well.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Mainstream anime are the ones I listed. Ones aimed at children and families. One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan, Youkai Watch, Pokemon, all those. Neither Titan nor Pass were aimed at anyone but hardcore late night anime watchers.

I think it's debatable that One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach is aimed at children and families. They're Shonen Jump titles, so there primary audience are teenagers and up. I said earlier that mainstream anime is anime appealing to a non-anime fan. Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan are shows that have served as gateway anime for many new anime fans. These are examples of mainstream shows because many people who didn't know anything about anime enjoyed these shows.

This is in addition to shows like Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc. You say mainstream anime is anime aimed at children and families. Why is your conception of mainstream anime so restrictive? why can't a mainstream show be any show that's also popular among teenage or adult non-regular anime watchers. So if Fullmetal Alchemist or Attack on Titan pulled in more ratings than Detective Conan or Yu-Gi-OH, the former shows still wouldn't be mainstream because they're weren't aimed at children and families?

Stuart Smith wrote:
Which is perhaps why people take issue with Anno's criticism. Anno is one of the last people who should be complaining about marketing concerns in anime considering his lifeblood is based upon doing just that.

Marketing concerns?, Anno's talking about creating and producing shows.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Maybe we should just drop the terms mainstream and otaku and just call it anime.

That is an excellent idea.
And could you please drop "moe" also?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ugoki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
People seem to have this idea that otaku = moe and fanservice anime mentality stuck in their heads. Otaku just means obsessive viewer, usually late night anime.

Maybe we should use the term "kimoota anime" instead, that is, anime for disgusting otakus.

Touma wrote:

That is an excellent idea.
And could you please drop "moe" also?

How about "bishoujo zoo" for anime who's the main selling point is their display of cute girls?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ugoki wrote:
How about "bishoujo zoo" for anime who's the main selling point is their display of cute girls?

Works in reverse as bishounen zoo as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11