• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - They Shoot Their Hostages, Don't They?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What happens externally to ANN is not our concern. So long as we do our due diligence to maintain anonymity in the column and here in our own forums, we're fine, and likely so are the people involved.

As it stands, we can still have nice things. Whether or not we can continue to have nice things depends on people listening to the stated rules. Be cool about it, do the simple things we asked, and we're fine.

Otherwise, this gets canceled very quickly.

That's good to hear Zac. I know you want the person interviewed and the company to remain anonymous and keep it anonymous on ANN. But outside factor yeah, I know you guys don't have any control over that. But it comes with the territory when you're writing stories like Tales of the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yasako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't read most of what was posted here, I just wanted to say to Brad that I'm sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience. Plenty of us know what it's like to have to take the heat for something that we didn't directly do in order to keep the peace. It's just a shame that it happened on your watch, with something you were so excited about, with a project that had a cult following.

*Holds up the three finger Katniss salute*
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
I don't know what show this is, by the way, as that era was a time when I wasn't paying much attention to anime except what as on Adult Swim. I could easily look this up, but I honestly don't care, because I can tell this was a story where someone in Japan blew up over a trivial detail most people will never notice in the first place. (I will assume there actually was confusion over "eggshell" and "snow white," however.)

Me, I'm more interested in why he blew up and if there's something on the Japanese side the Americans didn't know. Certainly, that this was an atypical case does hint that people in "Kazuhiro's" position normally act more maturely than he did.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, we managed to find a way to become a country without a bunch of people having to die.
While your statement's probably not applicable, there's at least one other exception to the founding of countries in the area by violent rebellion: France! You should really keep better track of your neighbors.

(Also, keep in mind it came to blows before any declaration was made)
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
I'm loving the articles, as it's nice to get an insight into what is/has gone on behind the scenes.
It's one of the reasons I seem to be getting a collection of things like "Schoolgirl Milky Crisis" and various books on the stories behind film productions and the history of film/tv.

So whilst I'm slightly curious about the show, I'm more interested in more "tales of the industry", which needs the anonymity..
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, we managed to find a way to become a country without a bunch of people having to die.
While your statement's probably not applicable, there's at least one other exception to the founding of countries in the area by violent rebellion: France! You should really keep better track of your neighbors.

(Also, keep in mind it came to blows before any declaration was made)

France may not have been founded in violent rebellion...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this column appeared while I was ill and I missed it; it must be the new column mentioned by Jonathan Clements in one of his replies on the Anime Encyclopedia AMA - I was wondering what he meant.

I love the logo.

Funny story, but the communication issue is so very much like the latest episodes of Shirobako and a certain middleman...

Touma wrote:
Judging from the disconnect between "dub" and "art" I am guessing that a line of text, possibly more, got lost when it was copied at some point.

The artwork problem was in a different sentence to the dub problems.

{Fixed your 2nd set of URL tags. ~nbahn}
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
akari_house

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:06 am Reply with quote
Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but years ago, knowing some of the particulars of the license referenced, I also knew what likely happened to cause this, but I didn't want to mention it while this was an ongoing column.

The fact is, the toy rights to the mascot character actually were owned fully by a BIG toy maker sponsor of the show, and was actually their product being placed as an added character not from the original manga to help hawk their toys. The show even had a viewer contest to name the corporate-inserted mascot, which helped endear it to fans in spite of being added completely arbitrarily and having zero to do with the content.

While the show license holder had the right to license the anime abroad, toy IP is a huge deal, and it's doubtful they ever had the legitimate right to greenlight the keychain for production, even as minor a product it was (as the sponsor was very active in the western market and particularly specialized in novelty items along these lines). The contact realized they fucked up and didn't want to get saddled with the blame, so they tried to give a bs reason (to cover their ass) as a panic move to try to bury the existence of the keychain before the sponsor (and probably their boss) would find out and take legal action.

I doubt hardly anyone will read this comment seven years later, but I firmly believe Justin could confirm this fairly easily by investigating the history of the sponsor and their licenses with the production and their own trademark registries.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:12 am Reply with quote
akari_house wrote:
I doubt hardly anyone will read this comment seven years later, but I firmly believe Justin could confirm this fairly easily by investigating the history of the sponsor and their licenses with the production and their own trademark registries.

I read it, and it's totally plausible. However if there's a way to research Japanese trademarks, let alone the details of private sponsorship deals, I would love to know it.
akari_house

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I was going to try myself to address one half of that (before following up with an answer) as I do like to go through old patents and trademarks now and then (it's somewhat related to some of my own personal dealings and interests). However, the site that seems most relevant (https://www.jpo.go.jp/e/faq/yokuaru/searching.html#anchor5-2 ) has had their search engine down for maintenance in recent weeks. If I *can* find a direct citation later to attribute, I will pass that on, although obviously I don't want to give a direct link here on the forum as it would expose the identity of these parties.

As for the other half, obviously I can only speculate upon the private sponsorship deal, but I do know enough from my own experience in this field and specifically via the products licensed for marketing through the show that I can at least be fully confident about my assertion that the mascot character was either imposed by this sponsor or created for their exclusive use. Also as a result you will only find official goods depicting this specific character with the sponsor's well-known copyright imprint, something that can be verified across different types of product, including even electronic devices licensed in turn for Japanese domestic sales from another, foreign toy maker. And as I likely own the promtional product being described in the article in all its "eggshell white" glory, I don't recall ever seeing any such stamp upon it last I checked (it's in storage at this moment so that's just my recollection, being what caught my eye at the time of publication).

I don't pretend to know the details on your client's end, but at least as described, this sounds very much like a middleman who fucked up and wanted to cover it up from whatever interests may have held them accountable. In any case, I am glad my observations have reached you, as I hope it at least has given another angle to consider.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9