• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Setting aside the question of whether the analogy is apt or not, did you have to word your post so obnoxiously? Are you aware of how much of an arrogant tool you sometimes come off as? I still haven't been able to figure out whether you are genuinely blind to how odious your tone can be or whether you are fully cognizant and just don't care.

What I cannot figure is out is how you can claim to so easily see negative traits in others but then miss the exact same ones in yourself.

But whatever. Can we now get back on to topic, or will I have to report you?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Setting aside the question of whether the analogy is apt or not, did you have to word your post so obnoxiously? Are you aware of how much of an arrogant tool you sometimes come off as? I still haven't been able to figure out whether you are genuinely blind to how odious your tone can be or whether you are fully cognizant and just don't care.

What I cannot figure is out is how you can claim to so easily see negative traits in others but then miss the exact same ones in yourself.

But whatever. Can we now get back on to topic, or will I have to report you?

Seriously?

Back on topic...

Since you're going to bring in the ANN Database genres, I thought I'd look up the category for KnT and Kaichou since you were so quick to criticize an analogy for which you did not care.

Kaichou - Genres: comedy, romance
Themes: maid, school
KnT - Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: school

Notice, there is not a "shoujo" label on them at all. Therefore, since you're going to shove them into the same genre simply because of the "romance", "comedy", and "school" and leave out the "maid" theme attributed to Kaichou and the "slice of life" genre attached to KnT, why can't the same be applied for Slayers and Gundam? Sure, Gundam may typically be straight action and Slayers may focus more on the fantasy and comedy, but who's to say that there's no action in an adventure series?

If the analogy was that awful... how about comparing Toradora to Kaichou or KnT simply because of the "romance", "comedy", and "school" attributes? Or how about Ouran for the same reason? Since there isn't a "shoujo" sticker slapped onto them, you're just grouping whatever you want and claiming that's why they're comparable.

dtm42 wrote:
And you know damn well what I meant by "it's pointless". Gundam and Slayers are not similar at all (beyond both being large franchises), let alone closer in similarity than Kaichou wa Maid-Sama and Kimi ni Todoke.

From my original post: " Grouping them together for a comparison simply because they are "shoujo" is like comparing Gundam to Slayers simply because they both have "action". It's like saying that because one show has a romance theme, it is easily comparable to other shows with romance themes even though they have nothing else in common."

By "theme" - I didn't literally mean go to the encyclopedia and get all anal about it. By "theme", I was referring to how both Slayers and Gundam HAVE action and fights in them. I've already stated that the two aren't similar at all. Which, again, is the point I'm trying to make.

Just because Kaichou and KnT share similar "themes" (even from the encyclopedia), it doesn't necessarily mean that the series are so easily comparable. If you just go by the romance, comedy, and school attributes, you could technically compare Baka to Test since it was released in the same year. Even though that series is a completely different beast all together. Sora no Otoshimono would even fall into the same genre you're labeling as shoujo.

As I previously stated, the goals, aspirations, and characters are vastly different from each other. The only common bonds they share are a school setting and some social awkwardness.

dtm42 wrote:
I love Kimi ni Todoke dearly, but for the last half it looked really cheap. A couple of episodes in the second half were so bad that any character who was not subject to a camera closeup was missing their entire face (except for the two leads, who were only missing their eyes). And I'm not joking or exaggerating, although I really wish I was. There were more problems than that, like how there was an obvious decrease in the animation budget. The first few episodes weren't amazingly well animated but at least they were animated.

In regard to you saying that it was poorly animated... yeah, that pretty much sounds like you're saying it was poorly animated.

dtm42 wrote:
There's going to be a second season of Kimi ni Todoke? Really? I hadn't heard anything.

Went back and checked the article. "Second Season" is my bad. Sorry about that. I meant continuation.

dtm42 wrote:
I'm not saying Kaichou wa Maid-Sama had good animation and art, only that it was the superior of the two.

Perhaps you completely ignored the opening sequence with Misaki walking like a stiff retarded ostrich (31 seconds in) or all the times they're talking and the camera's just zoomed in on their eyes without any indication of actual movement.

Don't get me wrong here. Art can be judged by the beholder. I personally think most of the animation in Kaichou was not only cheap, but bland and unoriginal.

There's something to be said for the soft air of KnT that keeps it true to the manga. The animation compliments the series, character designs, and personalities well. Kaichou's character designs are a dime a dozen.

dtm42 wrote:
I found it really fascinating that Misaki only had two friends (and both female), despite her looks, intelligence and mature disposition.

She definitely had more than two friends. What about her friends at the cafe? What about the other classmates she helps out? Two friends is just the cliche, cover our bases, method of showing that a character has friends. There was one tom-boy-like character and one girly-girl. They covered intelligent and ditsy along with cute and glasses.

Also - could you provide a link to the site where you get the production budget for these shows? I would love to read that type of information on a regular basis.

If I had to guess, I would say that KnT had a higher budget since it was done by Production IG. Again, that's just a guess since I have no clue where to find production budgets.

As for you being a jerk or whatever... I couldn't care less. Your diction, though abrasive, doesn't fluster me in the slightest.

And, Blood- - lol. You always find a way to crack me up on these boards. =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It is sad that good Shoujo works do not get the budgets to do them justice, but they just don't sell well enough.

Natsume Yuujinchou looked consistently good, for both seasons (and there's not enough material for a third one yet). To be fair, it's only technically shoujo, nothing like the romance comedies. I remember you saying that you've got quite a lot of anime to get through, but be sure to check it out if you want something... quieter, when you have a chance.

More importantly, if I liked Maid-sama, would anybody suggest I watch KnT? Because I remember seeing the first episode and being put off by a lot of things, not the least of which are the character designs.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

More importantly, if I liked Maid-sama, would anybody suggest I watch KnT? Because I remember seeing the first episode and being put off by a lot of things, not the least of which are the character designs.

KnT isn't really the same deal as Kaichou which features more fanservice, otaku humor, and maid themes. Even though the encyclopedia lists them as "romance", "comedy", and "school", they're not very similar. For a softer, more "sweet" romance, KnT could deliver what you want (even though the ending is a bit of a cliff hanger). But for something with more energy that delivers a "good" ending (even if it does leave some loose ends), you'd have to look elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

My experience probably will not be instructive to you, because I loved KnT, but only made it four eppies with Maid-sama. I actually found KnT's character designs a bit off-putting at first (Yano and Yoshido seemed to have botox lips) but came to love them. You and I seem to have different tastes on a number of shows, so the fact I liked KnT might be a good reason for you to avoid it!
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, thank you Bento-Box and Blood-. It doesn't look like it's going to be my highest priority, but it does seem to be a popular shoujo series that a lot of people liked, so I'll check it out.

Blood- wrote:
You and I seem to have different tastes on a number of shows, so the fact I liked KnT might be a good reason for you to avoid it!

Hey, you like FMP and Bakemonogatari (and a host of other shows I like, too). Besides, it would be unreasonable of me to dismiss a show because of a possible difference in opinion, I might like it, too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I encourage you to give it the old college try, but the fact you didn't dig the first eppie doesn't bode well for your enjoyment, since from what I can remember, that first episode was pretty representative of the rest.
Pantha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I understand dtm’s comparisons; in fact, I thought of Kimi ni Todoke while watching this, as well. The issue is that Kimi ni Todoke is excellent and one of the best of its genre whereas Kaichou wa Maid-sama is barely “good.” The similarities the two share are only superficial; it’s like comparing Fushigi Yuugi with Twelve Kingdoms, if you will.

Although it manages to be slightly better, Kaichou wa Maid-sama is actually remarkably similar to Special A, another shoujo about a guy and girl – much admired by their peers – who are seemingly more competitive than they are loving. On the girls’ side anyway. Despite the fact it’s a quick and easy watch (I watched it in two days), Maid-sama is incredibly generic. One problem with the show is its characters; I didn’t like any of them save for Misaki and Hinata. Misaki is definitely one of the better shoujo heroines. The best scene in the entire series is when spoiler[she’s kidnapped by two loser sadists and right before Usui saves her, she saves herself. ] I totally expected something else to happen and I was pleasantly surprised.

The main problem with the show, however, is the “interaction/relationship” between the two main characters. It wasn’t natural at all and I basically watched 26 episodes of Usui practically forcing himself on Misaki. After all is said and done, their “relationship” boiled down to this:

Step 1: Misaki gets into a pickle
Step 2: Usui helps her get out of it
Step 3: Usui does or says something provocative
Step 4: Misaki commences with her “perverted alien” routine (which gets old fast)
Step 5: Wash, rinse, repeat.

One could argue that this is merely a shoujo trope, but I seen enough shoujo to know better. This is just poor writing. Making this worse is Usui’s boring character. I was more interested in Misaki’s younger sister than him. I originally rated this show “Decent,” but then changed it to “Good.” It’s certainly not bad, but as far as shoujo goes, there’s much, much better out there.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
I think I found this series more enjoyable simply because I picked up the manga when I got sick of waiting for episodes to come out and kind of raced ahead. I still enjoyed it overall, and it blew away my expectations (which were, admittedly, very low). I don't really get the comparison to Kimi ni Todoke at all (I agree with the Gundam/Slayers thing in that it is apples and oranges); the mood and atmospheres of the two shows are not only really different, but they also move in different directions (ie KnT got more and more serious and drama-ish towards the end, whereas Maid-sama started and ended in fast-paced comedy).

Anyways I hope the rest of the manga gets animated, as they've done a sterling job of animating the material faithfully so far and I want more of Usui and Misaki. I find them an easy and enjoyable couple to watch (despite the "repetitive" nature of their relationship, I felt that the progression didn't feel forced at all, as it moved forward with each little piece of the story) but I do feel that the coming chapters related to Misaki finding out about Usui and his life outside of school is a big part of the overall story and there is a lot of unsolved intrigue in the anime series at the moment that needs addressing. I can see why people who haven't read the manga might be a little displeased at the lack of information and/or fleshing out.

EDIT: also, I have to disagree with the above user in that I thought the interactions between Usui and Misaki pretty much made the show for me. And it was good to see a female protagonist that can look after herself. spoiler[She disliked the fact that she was coming to rely on Usui, which was part of the reason she initially tried to reject him; that's my take on it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
There are basic situational similarities in this show and Kimi ni Todoke but also big differences in in the way they handle the stories.

Both stories feature a guy who immediately crushes on a girl and would be ready to go out with her immediately.
Both feature a couple whose halves have their own little problems they need to deal with.
Both shows deal almost exclusively with the girl's issues and ignore the guy's- you don't even really know what the guy's problems are. If there is a 2nd season for either it ill eventually start to switch the focus on the guy.
It seems that the influence of the other in the couple will be the key to dealings with their issues- finally he/she has someone to support and rely on.

The differences are that they are completely different characters and while this focuses on outrageous comedy and situations KnT is slow paced, contemplative and the humor relies on the lovable eccentricities of the characters and not loud and crazy antics.

And most importantly, Usui pushes the situation- he's needy and being in the relationship is the only way he'll ever let Misaki in to help with his problems or will really be there for Miasaki in way other than being a guy willing to be a heroe. Whereas in KnT Shōta supports Sadako in a completely emotional way- and never pushes her. Heroics aren't as important. When Sadako hints that she wouldn't be ready for a relationship, Shota doesn't push it but will still be there for her.

But you have to judge a show on its own merits, not on the merits of another. I wouldn't want Maidsama to go all sweet and soft focused- it destroys the crazy antics. It could do better in empathizing with the characters but it's a good show the way it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cutemi2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
YIPPEE, now I can watch Kaichou wa Maid Sama AGAIN premiere on Philippine TV in FILIPINO DUBBED courtesy of QTV Channel 11.
xiaoziv93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote
ermm.. is there a second season?just recently watched this and it's GOOD!!!! Razz
kronik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
xiaoziv93 wrote:
ermm.. is there a second season?just recently watched this and it's GOOD!!!! Razz

I'm in the same boat as you. Loved the first season, but I've heard nothing of a second one beyond the April OVA.
IchigoSasuke52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
I loved the series and the manga but I have a few questions if someone can help and sorry if someone has a kaichou wa maid sama post already. One and big obvious question anyone know or hear anything if they will make a second season. It was popular from what I read over ther cause I heard originally it was only gonna be around 7 to 12 episodes but cause it was so well received it ended up with I think it was 26 ep.

Second question how come the manga is only coming out with a chapter each month instead of every week or couple weeks like it used to.

anyone know when it will be out on DVD as a complete season n not just volumes.

And last did anyone else enjoy it like me or no n what's your reason
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
The stickied ANN Series Index thread can usually help you find the official threads.

Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (TV)

--edit--

whoops, that just looks weird now it's been merged, so I'll continue with your questions

Mostly you can just check the Encyclopedia page(s) for release info and news if there is any.
anime#11037

basically, there is no info on the DVD releases yet, only the license announcement.

It seems many mangas tend to slow down when they get closer to the release schedule of the original. SOunds like a question for the ANSWERMAN! By any chance were you reading Kare Kano during its releases? The final three or four issues drove a fan crazy, 4-6 months in between releases, The final book came out about a year after the final one came out in Japan.

As for your last question, I refer you to the previous ten pages Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11