• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon, His Wife, Madhouse Studio Write About His Passing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to add that Kon's site is back up, if you want to sign and post your tribute to him and/or condolences to his family. And there's a Twitter eulogy thread for him here.
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It's been pretty upsetting since hearing about his death last Tuesday, but after seeing his last post translated at Japanator, I came back here to see if there were any more updates.

Thank you for your translation, too, Maaya. It must have been pretty emotional, considering what he is saying in his post.

One of the most tragic part of his post was his decision to hold off telling his parents until the last moment. He didn't want to be selfish and burden them with the news of his illness, but finally asked to see them because he wanted to thank them for bringing him into the world. He was shocked when his mother, upon seeing him, tearfully apologized for not giving him a strong body.

Sorry... it's a bit emotional. Going to take a break again.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
I checked these updates before I went to work the other day. Didn't have time to write anything, just read it (i'm pretty busy lately). So this is a late post. Now, I am not the sort of person who cries easily. I may get emotional but you will never know it, and it takes a lot for actual water to come out of my eyes. But every time at work that I had a period that I wasn't busy for a few minutes or so, I started thinking about this and the message as I remembered it. And I, at one point I got pretty upset, alone of course. Needless to say that I kept myself pretty busy for the rest of the day. I even started cleaning; place never looked so good.

Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tyciol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
Even though his family funeral is private I am hoping that fans hold some kind of memorial in his honour.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
tyciol: You can join his site and post on his BBS, now.

The How To Train Your Dragon Guy is a fan.
WAPO's words, not mine.

Edit: I really hate being forced to look on the bright side, but it's for me as much as anyone else. I'm just glad Kon's wife is taken care of financially, and that he had so many people who loved him and supported him until the end. Crying or Very sad

Edit 2: Kon seemed to enjoy this (Portugese?) guy cosplaying him in a fake
interview.

Edit 3: Well, I guess this is it, unless anyone else wants to chime in. I really hate saying bye to him, even though I've already done so IRL. I just hope he won't be forgotten for years to come. *sigh*
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Because Susumu Hirasawa was so influential to Satoshi Kon, I checked his website to see what he said about Kon's passing. By the looks of things, he did. I can't make it out too well, but if someone would like to translate, i'd be more than grateful.

「千年女優」「妄想代理人」「パプリカ」などの作品を監督された今敏さんが、8月24日、膵臓癌によりお亡くなりになりました。 ご生前、共にお仕事をさせていただく機会に恵まれたことは、平沢進ならびにケイオスユニオンのスタッフ一同にとりまして、大きな誇りであり得難い喜びでありました。お人柄を偲びつつ心よりご冥福をお祈り申し上げます。

taken from: http://noroom.susumuhirasawa.com/modules/info/index.php?page=article&storyid=222
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Steely: He basically said he was glad to work with Kon and that he prays for him.
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steely: He basically said he was glad to work with Kon and that he prays for him.

Thanks so much. I appreciate it.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
SteelyMag wrote:
Because Susumu Hirasawa was so influential to Satoshi Kon, I checked his website to see what he said about Kon's passing.

Are there other anime or manga directors, illustrators or others who have been making public posts or reminescenses about Satoshi Kon's death? Otomo was the first I wondered about.

Thanks to SteelyMag and GATSU for this.

In the back of LOCUS magazine you could sometimes read authors paying tribute to each other, or writing more personal obituaries than you'd see in a newspaper. I especially remember Ray Bradbury describing how he met Robert Bloch after Bloch died. Eventually a hardback of Bloch's short stories was published with different authors paying tribute to Bloch as the introduction to each story. Although that was mainly authors paying tribute to another author, I'd hope something similar could be done for Satoshi Kon -- a collection of essays about Kon's work, perhaps, with tributes from those in the industry who knew him, that kind of thing. Or maybe a collection of fan reminiscences -- I think that kind of thing has been attempted before for other shining lights in science fiction and fantasy.

Well ... an idea. As we've gone through this week, I keep realizing I know Kon from his films and interviews, but know so little about him as a person. In my mind now he's a smiling, imagination-powerhouse, nodding and chain smoking, actively trying to find a better answer to a series of questions from an invisible someone.

While I find that image endearing, I hope to learn more about his life and about what made him who he was.
Peroxid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe what I'm reading. I don't want to.

Satoshi Kon wrote:
With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now.

Unforgettable.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
BTW, Hirasawas on Twitter @hirasawa if you want to let him know personally how much Kon meant to you.

garth: I saw the Gantz guy of all people and Ikuhara twittering about him. Not sure you want to look through all of 'em, but maybe your favorite(s) will have had something to say on the subject. And yeah, I was wondering if Otomo even went to his funeral. I just PM'ed Madhouse that I feel this whole thing should go full circle, and that Otomo should take the reins of Dream Machine, since they were so close, and I can't think of anyone else who would fit the job. But Otomo appears to be such a recluse that he doesn't even have a site. So now I'm starting to wonder if he even heard the news.

Anyway, if you also don't want him to slip through the cracks like this, might I suggest you politely contact the Oscars and Annies and request they give him an honorary award or two?

Oh, and I forgot. Via @animeblog 's tweet, some touching fan art for Kon.

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BTW, Hirasawas on Twitter @hirasawa if you want to let him know personally how much Kon meant to you.

garth: I saw the Gantz guy of all people and Ikuhara twittering about him. Not sure you want to look through all of 'em, but maybe your favorite(s) will have had something to say on the subject. And yeah, I was wondering if Otomo even went to his funeral. I just PM'ed Madhouse that I feel this whole thing should go full circle, and that Otomo should take the reins of Dream Machine, since they were so close, and I can't think of anyone else who would fit the job. But Otomo appears to be such a recluse that he doesn't even have a site. So now I'm starting to wonder if he even heard the news.

Anyway, if you also don't want him to slip through the cracks like this, might I suggest you politely contact the Oscars and Annies and request they give him an honoray award or two?

Oh, and I forgot. Via @animeblog 's tweet, some touching fan art for Kon.

awesome links, man. thanks very much. love that fan art. i'll be checking in periodically in case you find any others.

thanks for keeping this candle lit.

EDIT: man, that link to the 1-minute long Kon film where the woman waking up slowly catches up with herself ... I've done that too many mornings, man. haha! so very cool to see that ...

Thanks again, GATSU ...
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
So many people said exactly what I felt and said it better, so I cant really add anything new.

I was away for holidays so found out about Kon's death a few days after it happened. Just before it so happened that I was wondering what he was up to and how his new feature was turning out, just to find out that he passed away a few days after.

It is a terrible loss for the world of anime- Kon was certainly one of the most remarkable and talented directors, who has not created anything below a certain high standart, every single work of his was a masterpiece, and the attention he paid to tiny detail and his illimited imagination was somethhing that drew me to his works and made him stand out.

I remember when I saw Paprika in movie theatre, I had a headache that day and I was abanout to chage my mind and pass on it, go home and lie down, luckily I forced myself into going and... I was blown away, something that does not happen often to me. It is a sad thought that he will not make any new films...

I hope his wife and family will be able to cope with that loss.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I at least got a message back from The Annies, and I'm posting it here, because 'Ho Mail is limiting the number of e-mails I can send back right now, and I figured you can participate in the mean-time:

Quote:
Please contact...president of ASIFA-Hollywood with your request. You might also consider nominating [Satoshi Kon] for one of the Juried Awards. Information on these awards is on the Annies Website - www.annieawards.org. Antran's email is: [email protected]
evilsteven2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
[quote="zrdb"]Wierd to say but I and some friends watched the live action version of Perfect Blue and then the animated version just a few days before this sad news came out. I really liked his films-Millenium Actress was my favorite. RIP[/quote]

Nearly close to me....
i told my cousin about millennium actress to her around 23 august. She is waiting my dvd now :D

And early morning, my friend told me "Satoshi kon is Pass away"
I said " ARE YOU TRYING TO [expletive] KIDDING ME? " (sorry my language)
he said "No. it is real"

I miss all his work. I love when he wrote the story for "Magnetic Rose" in Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories. I still laugh for his "Tokyo Godfather"

No one has this kind of idea. Thank you Satoshi kon. Rest in Peace
Anata wa Watashi no HERO. Your works are my inspiration
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11