• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
To me it looked like they can see the trajectory of the bullet after or very shortly before it is fired. They would have a second or two to evade a long-distance sniper shot if they knew that it's coming and where it is coming from.

That makes sense. If her companions had been useful, presumably they could have drawn Mini-gun's attention thus opening him up to another sniper shot or two, but she probably correctly divined that they were not up to the task.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Was anyone else reminded of the heavy from TF2 when they saw the big guy with the minigun? Baka should have had a medic with him! Razz
It's always so easy to be overconfident when your a walking bullet train.

That perfect headshot Shino scored on him was pretty awesome. The animation looks like it's somehow BETTER than it was last season (and that's saying a lot). This seemed to be an episode dedicated to getting us used to the gameplay and while not much storywise happened it was still pretty enjoyable. I'm just hoping that Shino doesn't turn into a tsundere when she meets Kirito.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Well, it seems spoiler[kinda ironic Sinon is an expert at handling guns in GGO but has a fear of them in real life after witnessing that flashback. Not that I blame her though since anyone going through that would have some bad memories left afterwards. Oh and we find out Sinon's real name this episode too.] I think I'll still call her Sinon though since I'm more used to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yarg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 3:

Well, it seems spoiler[kinda ironic Sinon is an expert at handling guns in GGO but has a fear of them in real life after witnessing that flashback. Not that I blame her though since anyone going through that would have some bad memories left afterwards. Oh and we find out Sinon's real name this episode too.] I think I'll still call her Sinon though since I'm more used to it.

spoiler[No irony involved at all actually. She's trying to overcome her RL fear of guns by actively trying to use them as much and as well as possible in game.]
Yarg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Was anyone else reminded of the heavy from TF2 when they saw the big guy with the minigun?

I heard Heavy's cry of YAAAAADAAAAAA throughout that whole scene...both while reading LN and watching Episode 2.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Another good episode.

At this point, I feel like Sinon is the main story and Kirito is just a side built into it. I think Kirito is alright as a character, but it's funny that since he has taken a "back seat", that episodes have improved.

I had read that Sinon had a spoiler[particulary tragic back story] and I can understand why she has a spoiler[fear of guns]. Fair play to her for trying to spoiler[stop the guy when he threatened her mother]. The only problem I had was spoiler[what the hell the employees were doing when he was wrestling with her...]

Also.. The spoiler[nurse]... Isn't he spoiler[abit young for you hun?] Rolling Eyes
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Asada] is pretty pathetic in real life.
spoiler[Weak and being bullied] too.
No wonder she finds comfort online.
So spoiler[Asada seems to have her own "Kirito".]
That's kinda sweet too.
spoiler[What I don't get is her fear of guns when she loves them in a game.
At least that got explained in the getting-to-know-her flashback.
Damn, never would have guessed that kind of a scenario.
But still, in reality they are a big problem for her, but not in game.
Maybe because she can be a different person there, stronger.
Looks like Kirito is finally ready to dive in.
And our killer has a new target.]

Next episode should be intense.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this is coming from someone who hasn't read any of the SAO novels and has no idea what is coming... please don't tell me spoiler[Death Gun is Sinon's father ;0 I only say that cause of the way that creepy guy at the end was grinning and laughing as he stroked her picture.]

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. The main reason I enjoyed it is because (unlike Kirito in season 1), the writing wastes no time at all with adequately developing Sinon and giving us a reason to care about her. It might not have been the most perfect backstory I've ever seen, but it was pretty damn good. This episode gets an A+ from me, except for maybe the scene with Kirito chilling with his harem again Smile
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yarg wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Was anyone else reminded of the heavy from TF2 when they saw the big guy with the minigun?

I heard Heavy's cry of YAAAAADAAAAAA throughout that whole scene...both while reading LN and watching Episode 2.

Personally i heard this
"OOOOOH RUN! RUN! I'M COMING FOR YOU! AHAHAHAHAHAAA!
But that works too Razz

Episode 3:

So this covers Sinon's tragic backstory. It's..........ok for the most part but a little part of me thinks it could have been done better. spoiler[Robberies] happen all the time so it's not like situations like this are uncommon. The spoiler[dude must have been pushing some drugs or something so i guess that somewhat excuses his weird behavior.]

Sinon spoiler[scoring the first two shots is reasonable since they were point blank. But the third shot she made was a little bullshit. She wasn't even looking and has never held a gun before. Not to mention she scored a perfect headshot. The guy was some distance away from her so either she has natural gun handling ability or.........well i don't know what else it could be.] I think it would have been more spoiler[believable if she just started firing multiple shots out of fear while the guy attempted to attack her again.] One thing i complement the show for doing though is showing spoiler[realistic recoil.] You don't see that often.

And from the looks of things her spoiler[mother deserts her afterwards?] Why? I mean there is no solid proof this has happened yet but I think the fact she spoiler[calls her Uncle instead of her mother hints at that.] I don't really spoiler[buy her ending up being deserted by her mother because she killed some crazy robber in self defense.] So I'm hope there is some clarity on that.

Anyways I thought this was a pretty good episode. I think they made it pretty obvious that death gun is spoiler[Shino's friend] spoiler[(with how the final scene had him rubbing her picture and the fact he a almost identical hairstyle/face).] But I'm prepared to get my mind blown if it isn't Laughing .
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Episode 3:
spoiler[Robberies] happen all the time so it's not like situations like this are uncommon.

spoiler[Armed robberies] are uncommon in Japan. In any case, I'm not sure what your point is. It's a ho-hum backstory because it happens to everybody? I must lead a very sheltered life...
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
As good as these eps. have been, they are dragging on the backstory a bit to much. The light saber action in the opening gets me pumped up then they have a slower paced character driven ep like this. Not that I don't like Sinon as a character, but I wish they would have shown her backstory broken up over a couple eps.

Did anyone else think that Sinon spoiler[freaking out over a finger gun was a bit over the top? I could understand if the bully pulled out a pellet gun and she freaked out,] but the scene was just weird to me.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Episode 3:
spoiler[Robberies] happen all the time so it's not like situations like this are uncommon.

spoiler[Armed robberies] are uncommon in Japan. In any case, I'm not sure what your point is. It's a ho-hum backstory because it happens to everybody? I must lead a very sheltered life...

I don't usually take specific percentage rates into consideration when concerning anime. If the writer wants too he can have the entire city flooded with crime using a flimsy explanation. Wink.

Also spoiler[I didn't mean what ended up happening to Sion was common I meant the robberies do.] Please don't try to twist my comment into something i never said.
I explained why I thought the backstory was a little flimsy which is part of my comment you ignored. Evil or Very Mad
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
As good as these eps. have been, they are dragging on the backstory a bit to much.

Agreed. As much as I've liked the cameos and the set-up, spending three full episodes on the set-up is too much. Feels like the story is being padded.

And I was really hoping that they wouldn't go the direction they're suggesting at the end about who Death Gun is, but I got a feeling that they were after spoiler[that conversation in the cafe]. Still, I'm at least a little curious to see how they justify the person's motives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
While I do not mind the character driven stuff at this point it was way too early to spoiler["potentially" show what Death Gun looks like.] I think they gave to much away as it would be unfortunately predictable to just be a friend or family member. Hoping this will be a red herring to something more interesting but not counting on it.

Do like Sinon though, good to see a character with a more fleshed out background with a reasonably realistic issue and action to resolve it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Sinon does seem to be a really interesting character, and in general I liked the episode. Maybe wrong, but part of my take was that Sinon might spoiler[actually have an inherent ability with guns, why she got a head shot like that, but the trauma of actually taking a life like that and remembering her mother's reaction]. Could be that she is spoiler[afraid of herself using a gun, from killing someone, while her avatar is someone else]. Actually I wonder if her choice of putting spoiler[points into the strength stat came from her mantra of wanting to be stronger], her natural skill making up the rest.

My take from that scene of Death gun was that he was just picking his next target, not any indication of who it was. If what you guys are saying is true, the OP is kind of heavy handed in showing him hold his hand out to her and then the scenery burn away to Death Gun.

I am feeling a little restless as I want to see some Kirito in GGO already. We watch this show for the VR games, right? At least it feels like we know everything we need about Sinon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 115