• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lycoris Recoil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:01 am Reply with quote
On the topic of spoiler[the heart], there's a brief line between Kurumi and Mika where Kurumi says she spoiler[signed a deal with a surgeon] which to me suggests that they spoiler[had the surgeon remove the heart from Shinji. After all, they wouldn't need to make some secret agreement if the heart was just ready to install in the suitcase, right?]
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:42 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
On the topic of spoiler[the heart], there's a brief line between Kurumi and Mika where Kurumi says she spoiler[signed a deal with a surgeon] which to me suggests that they spoiler[had the surgeon remove the heart from Shinji. After all, they wouldn't need to make some secret agreement if the heart was just ready to install in the suitcase, right?]

spoiler[The surgeon would have been needed for the heat to be installed into Chisato.]

Everything in the Episode points to Shinji being dead. After all, Mika pulled another gun out of his clothes to shoot him. If he wanted to knock him out he could have used his shotgun like a few seconds before.
The episode did a far shot with a single flash of light. This is a pretty common technique to let adults know that a person was just shot dead, while not explicitly showing it to keep the rating. For there ratings there's a difference between People getting killed in a gunfight, and a single, defenceless and wounded person getting killed in cold-blood.

All in all this was about what I expected from the ending. The only twist was Mika's leg being totally fine and him killing Shinji. There were some hints, but it felt a bit rushed, since the last episode had to connect so many points the whole season left unconnected. And as others on other sites have said: Episode 14 would have been great, so the ending could get a better send off.

Chisato and Takina not coming out of the closet might peeve some viewers, because might it smell like Yuri baiting, but the series left enough dangling threads for spinoffs and a season 2 for that to be resolved later on. Tit's not like there aren't enough visual keys for people to see the absolutely obvious.
Story telling wise, Chisato has a point not telling Takina her feelings because her being dead would just make Takina feel even worse than them just being partners.

Just watching the chase sequence between the two girls was pretty much quintessential LocoRe and the two female leads in a nutshell. Satisfying to watch with a good laugh.

Fuki has become a slight favourite of mine in the last three episodes. She's clearly torn between her sense of duty and wants to follow the rules, but she also doesn't want to leave a comrade behind if she can help it. I guess the café can buy another pair of uniforms, it seems they'll get some (temporary?) co-workers.
On that note: Sakura's injury felt a bit forced at first, but in the end it can work. A single ricocheting bullet from a submachine gun can easily hit someone in such a closed space. And it's not like the Lycoris are wearing bullet-proof vests.

Let's wait a few weeks and see if they're already announcing season 2, or waiting for the other media's popularity numbers.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
The dialogue between Mika and Shinji I thought made the implication clear that Shinji did indeed put the heart in his chest and that Mika understood this. The heart wasn't in the suitcase; what was in there was the note and the alan institute pendant to basically congratulate Chisato for finally going through with ending Shinji's life.

Anyway, around ep 3, when talks of Chisato being an insufferably written mary sue was going around, I stated how her desire not to kill people would drum up conflict and that it would come to the point where either she would be forced to shoot/harm/kill someone, her refusal to kill would end up getting someone she loved hurt, OR someone would kill for her in her place. I made the point that effective writing understands how to set up important plot threads and connect it back to the action of the characters, and that the only thing you would need to do to see these conflicts coming is to have a decent amount of storytelling savviness. Seeing that the show's writing was setting this up isn't even an impressive feat; my point more so is that the writing was making an effort to hint that it would address Chisato's refusal to kill early on as a major focus of its storytelling; and now look, her denying the act of taking someone's life has pushed others to do it for her, and those loved ones (loved one) are now keeping it a secret from her. Would love to see a season 2 that still keeps with the tone of being whimsical in its character interplay while also pushing the seriousness and complexity of how far loved ones would be willing to go to protect one another.

Last edited by we love lain on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 am Reply with quote
If theres another series the unresolved emotional blowback from the ending is likely to feature. The reason she ran from the hospital was clearly because she was upset that they had killed him for the heart and she obviously didn't believe the lie and the empty gift note from the suitcase.

Walnut its likely she wasnt the first and theres been a line of hackers using the name, that is something that could be explored, mind you Robota was likely in his early twenties so his perspective of Walnut being on top for a long time might be shorter than for us oldies.

To me the whole Hawaii thing feels like a tacked on ending, I got the impression the ending was originally supposed to be discovering Chisato had disappeared from her hospital bed suggesting her anger with her 'father' and the others for betraying her ideals.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:32 am Reply with quote
Chisato starts out as Takina's Manic Pixie Dream Girl, but the series shows she has considerable depth. Which is what Takina needs.

In the lull between seasons, I may just have to binge-watch the series again, watching for the sorts of threads that @"we love lain" mentions.

The voice-acting in this series has been wonderful, with Chisato's actress carrying considerable weight in creating the character.

The artists have done a fantastic job with facial expressions, as Christopher notes in the review. I mentioned earlier that I really liked the conversation between Chisato and Majima at the halfway point in their fight --- a big part of my enjoyment came from Chisato's "I'm so over this" expression as she listened to Majima. Add to that the thumb-nail from last week's review, as Chisato is aiming real bullets at someone and ready to shoot.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:32 am Reply with quote
Also, seeing Takina use the non-lethal bullets on her hunt for Chisato was a nice surprise. Either she took the time that passed after Chisato's surgery to learn how to shoot more effectively with the magic non-lethal rounds, or only decided to use them because Chisato was her target

Also, regarding how Lycoreco writes dialogue, did anyone notice that the show never once uses internal monologuing to exposit or explain thought processes and emotions to the audience; we never hear the inner thoughts of characters, period. Everything the show wants to say is communicated through fluid back and forth dialogue and gesticulation. I find that to be one of Lycoreco's greatest a strengths and it's a choice that I think was intentional. I heard on the grape vine that the director would tell the actors when they were recording their lines to often interrupt each other to simulate the feel and pace of natural conversation. It's clear from this statement and the show itself that the director has a good sense for back and forth dialogue and prefers conversations to be in real-time as opposed to not

Last edited by we love lain on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So, the official Twitter gives a LycoReco event next January 11th, with the four female café members (and "others") appearing.

I guess it's highly likely that, should the spinoff material get as much acclaim as the anime, they're going to announce season 2.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the lull between seasons, I may just have to binge-watch the series again, watching for the sorts of threads that @"we love lain" mentions.

Yea; I feel like it would definitely recontextualize your experience of the show by a bit
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Chisato is Batman and Majima is the Joker and I would love to see them fight over and over again in Hawaii with a splash of Takina randy yuriness, ah bliss. Yet, all good things must come to an end, dammit!
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:55 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Not to mention this is a super science mechanical heart, I don't think you'd really need surgical tools to get it out.

I... think I'm just gonna have to accept the fact that some people here have ideas about medical and/or technological fantasy-plausibility that will never make sense to me. (Does it have, like, a remote-controlled eject button, or... never mind.)

More importantly, it does feel like this show is likely to get some sort of continuation, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for a whole second season so preemptively. The anime industry is hard to predict, especially with anime-originals. Madoka Magica's runaway success led to one very weird and inconclusive sequel movie almost 3 years later, then nothing but spinoffs until a second movie was announced a full ten years after the series. Let's just hope it doesn't take that long...
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:38 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Not to mention this is a super science mechanical heart, I don't think you'd really need surgical tools to get it out.

I... think I'm just gonna have to accept the fact that some people here have ideas about medical and/or technological fantasy-plausibility that will never make sense to me. (Does it have, like, a remote-controlled eject button, or... never mind.)

More importantly, it does feel like this show is likely to get some sort of continuation, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for a whole second season so preemptively. The anime industry is hard to predict, especially with anime-originals. Madoka Magica's runaway success led to one very weird and inconclusive sequel movie almost 3 years later, then nothing but spinoffs until a second movie was announced a full ten years after the series. Let's just hope it doesn't take that long...

I guess so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And no, it doesn't have an eject button
I'm saying you take a combat knife and get sloppy
A Clean Room isn't required for this in my mind since we're already dealing with a battery powered mechanical heart with no heartbeat

But none of that matters most likely, since as others have mentioned the phone call with Kurumi points to a secret deal to remove it from Yoshi because if it would was just in the briefcase it would be weird to have that line. Probably something along the lines of "Transplant this super heart into Chisato and Don't Ask why the other body is dead"
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:55 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
More importantly, it does feel like this show is likely to get some sort of continuation, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for a whole second season so preemptively. The anime industry is hard to predict, especially with anime-originals.

The problem for the Anime (and Manga) industry was always it's hard focus on the Japanese market, while disregarding anything overseas, even though some countries there have successful markets. Some series were much more successful in other countries and could make a profit overall, but never got a continuation because they flopped or only went even in Japan.
This has changed somewhat and more and more studios are considering the worldwide picture at least to some extend.

Of course it's easier for adapted materials to get continuations; it's far simpler to adapt already existing works to screen than make up completely new ones. And animes have been used as just marketing vehicles for LNs more often than not.
in
Still, as far as I can tell, LycoReco is pretty popular right now, with spinoffs already announced. So I don't see a reason why it can't go the GuP route (well, not as popular,but GuP had some interesting real-life circumstances that helped it).
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Loved the series and I hope they get a second season.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:

Also, just how old is Kurumi? I was hoping to get an answer considering "Walnut has been around since the start of the internet," Misaki Kuno saying on twitter she was "Told to play Kurumi like an adult, a role she doesn't usually play," and Kurumi constantly listening to the stereotypically old school Enka music. Guess that mystery will have to wait for another season Laughing

There's a moment during in the intial spying on Yoshimatsu when Mizuki and Kurumi were trying to get into the bar that Kurumi says her ID says she's 30. She might be telling the truth....

With regards to this show. I enjoyed it very much and have a soft spot for anime originals, particularly because it's very noticeable that directors and animation teams have much more freedom. I was hoping there would be a bit deeper dialogue regarding the implications of a state-enforced peace but I will take the show for what it is and enjoy it.

P.S. the first bluray shipped with the first soundtrack CD and the key action theme is disappointingly short. There was definitely some custom mixing done for specific scenes throughout the show that will never have a clean version available for listening, which makes me very disappointed as I really enjoyed the music.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
Loved the series and I hope they get a second season.

I mean we do still have Majima running around and Himegama unaccounted for. If Season 2 ever gets made, I think they should either team up (albeit reluctantly), or hell, just have episodes where they directly interfere with one another's goals and the LycoReco team get caught in the middle.

Hell, we see team in Hawaii at the end, maybe set some stories there too for some variety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11