• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Site Simulcasts Shugo Chara!! Doki— Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks at the big pile of money in his bank account.

Waiting.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
In the case of the Toei anime streamed on crunchyroll, everything is region locked to the US and Canada.

This has to do with Toei's corporate structure. The people who Crunchyroll licensed the streams from was Toei's US corporate brance, Toei Anim. Inc. which is based in Los Angeles and is a sub-company of Toei Animation.

The way Toei is structures, Toei Inc. LA only has "jurisdiction" over the US and Canada, and it acts basically like any other R1 licensor. That means that Toei Inc. CANNOT make deals having to do with anything outside of the US or Canada...

So Crunchyroll has a bit of a catch 22: If they deal with Toei Inc LA, they have to region lock everything to the US and Canada. But if they approach Toei Japan, they get told "go talk to Toei Inc. LA since you're based in california, we don't license stuff directly ourselves".

The only way crunchyroll would be able to expand the regions it can stream in is if it made separate deals with Toei Animation Paris (which covers Europe and north africa, I thnk), and Toei Shanghai which covers china and most of asia... I also think Toei's phillipeans studio handles some parts as well. I.e. it would be an insane mess. Furthermore, the subtitles themselves are owned by Toei Inc. LA, so unless they agreed to share their subtitles with the other Toei brances and there was also some profit sharing agreement, each one would have its own subs or something insane like that.

Yes, Toei is just THAT horrid to deal with.

And I thought the situation with all things Toei as well as Dragonball in the UK was fucked up... obviously I was mistaken! Twisted Evil [In case anybody is wondering, because the Dragonball/Z/GT licenses in Europe belong to a French company called Groupe AB and also covers the UK, it meant that we Brits got shafted when it came to merchandise in that rather than getting all the cool shit that came out in NA from the likes of Bandai and Irwin, we got inferior official crap instead AND due to Groupe AB's greed, we never even got the official licensed game from Score Entertainment, in fact, it'll probably be a VERY cold day in Hades before any of their stuff is licensed officially in the UK but I don't hold any ill-will towards them, just the license-holders that's all! *LOL*]

When it comes to legal downloads, my own personal view is that I'll continue to download fansubs of anime that isn't legally licensed, even the Media Factory stuff if I have to dig deep to find it... [In case anybody asks, YES I do buy legal anime, in fact I have a nice big collection of legal anime as well as a obscene amount of manga in case anybody is wondering]

As for those who claim that those who download fansubs are evil... what's the odds that 9 out of 10 of those people who buy legit subbed anime to download are hypocrites in that they have non-legit anime burnt to disc or stored on their hard drives...

I'll only support legal downloaded anime when the quality is of a reasonable quality that can be viewed on a TV or a Archos PMP device [I loathe all things made by the evil empire that is Apple] and also when a company is willing to allow people from Europe to download/watch it as a stream... [I'm looking at you in particular, 4Kids.TV!]

Until then, I could never support CR and instead support Funi because at least their free shows aren't blocked to UK viewers... Very Happy
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Crunchyroll can get rights for more regions with Toei Animation, it'll just take a while.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I'm sure Crunchyroll can get rights for more regions with Toei Animation, it'll just take a while.

To be honest, I don't exactly share your optimism about CR, plus I wouldn't want to pay good money for a inferior piece of crap encoded download... I'd rather pay for a decently-encoded one that's available to Europeans as well as North Americans.

That plus I don't think Toei's European office isn't exactly interested in offering legal downloads to people there...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:

It'll never happen. No way. Not until Toei changes its business practices radically, and unless they go bankrupt that'll never happen. There's optimism, and then there's simple feasibility, and as things stand now it is impossible for Toei to stream its shows on a global scale. The only way it could work is if they restructure their entire company and its licensing practices.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
firecrouch wrote:

It'll never happen. No way. Not until Toei changes its business practices radically, and unless they go bankrupt that'll never happen. There's optimism, and then there's simple feasibility, and as things stand now it is impossible for Toei to stream its shows on a global scale. The only way it could work is if they restructure their entire company and its licensing practices.

It's good to see somebody else agrees with me about Toei's idiotic licensing practices [Dammit, if it wasn't for Toei being fuckwits, we'd probably have a English translation of the revamped Sailor Moon manga that was released a few years back by now from DelRey]

That's the problem with Toei, they want to divide things into little pieces and not realising that practically everything's being globalised or has been globalised.

I'd love to be able to buy a proper DVD release of Slam Dunk [as long as it's not being released by Viz!] but after seeing how Toei fucked things up with ADV's releases of St Seiya [I'm more likely to become the next Pope [pun intended] than see a release of the rest of the series and the Hades OAV's/movies] and the 1st two seasons of Sailor Moon, I don't hold out much hope...

As for CR, I can't believe that guy from the company was such a fuckwit for saying that their partnership would ensure that Toei's anime would reach a global audience when in reality, he should have said a North American audience... Then again, nothing surprises me from this company who's more than willing to rip off its customers and to be honest, I have no sympathy with people who are willing to pay $1.99 a time for shitty legal encodes!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
And thus a large part of this streaming service is effectively useless for me, as much as I would be willing to pay for any of those Toei shows.

Even if someone found some way to get past the region lockouts that would still be breaking the law.

The letter, at least, though arguably not the spirit.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
For those who are anime members (regions not blocked) they can watch the complete series of Fist of the North Star, Slam Dunk, Dear Boys, Digimon Aventure 2, Fairy Musketeers, Last Exile and some more others.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked them all, but at least Fist of the North Star TV is also U.S. exclusive.

In short, only a few shows are actually available worldwide, regardless of whether you have such a membership or not (that doesn't remove the regional restrictions, although I'd be happy if eventually it did). Toei's shows, in particular, generally aren't.

In fact, here's the list with all of CR's shows and their respective regional restrictions.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup?src=sm_msg_ea
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Dragonxtc wrote:
So since I really don't know, will all of these episodes be released and archived? Or will they follow a schedule and once you miss it you won't be able to watch it again?

In the case of Shugo Chara, yes they are archiving the episodes. Episode 65 though was the first episode of the series that CR showed under the distro deal with TV Tokyo, but they are archiving the previous episodes of the series. Last I checked they archieved up to Episode 39. I would say that it will take them at least a couple more weeks until they have all of the Shugo Chara episodes available.

Oh good, I just hope that will be the case for Galaxy Express and Harlock!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
[WARNING: HUGE AMOUNT OF PROFANITY IN THIS POST AIMED AT CR! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!]

After reading through the list of what CR has, I'm f-ing surprised that there's anything at all that's available for people in the UK to watch!

Hell, you can't even watch Chinese/Korean live-action dramas if you live in the UK and in a delicious twist of irony, people in the Republic of Ireland can watch Dear Boys, Eyeshield 21 and Fairy Musketeers but not those who live in Northern Ireland!!!

To be honest, it's a f-ing stupid idiotic joke that CR care about their UK members!

If anybody from CR is reading this thread or any other threads related to CR, please tell us why your company seems to be run by idiotic baboons when it comes to getting licenses and not even thinking about the possibility of getting them for the UK as well where possible....

It's obvious that CR is a rip-off and I'm surprised that the likes of Gonzo and Toei are willing to support these fucktard losers with legal anime! Hell, I'm surprised that the CR Overlords are even letting us Brits watch Gintama at all and don't even get me started about Naruto Shippuden [and yes, I know I can watch it legally elsewhere but the quality's even worse on the other UK-legal sites than on CR]!
[Thanks Kami-Sama for fansubbers of K-Dramas and Canto/Mando-Dramas]
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Why so much anger from people who are in regions not streamed to? It's not like you have some inalienable right to view these shows...

-Tofu
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Why so much anger from people who are in regions not streamed to? It's not like you have some inalienable right to view these shows...
-Tofu

The reason why we're bloody pissed off and full of anger is that in a lot of cases, the shows that are blocked will probably never be licensed in certain parts of the world; in particular, the UK and that's a lot of us have a huge hatred for CR, especially in that they'll let people in the Republic of Ireland watch certain shows and yet, they won't let people in Northern Ireland or the rest of the UK watch the same shows!

I'm surprised that CR hasn't been sued for false advertising... I mean, why would you want to buy a membership if you live outside NA knowing full well you'll only have access to certain shows...

Obviously you must be a fan who thinks that only those who live in North America should have the right to watch everything that CR has to offer and let everybody else outside North America get frustrated or go to extreme measures to watch the anime that they feel they should be allowed to watch!

As I said before, I download fansubs and if anybody has a problem with me downloading fansubs, tough luck because my stance won't change any time soon!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
what else can you expect from people that feel as if I basic right has been denied by the region blocking? or it could just be they lack an understanding that while the internet is global that the industry is still very much handled regionally.

the way I see it, even if they're some region limitations now this is a step in the right direction and as more see it working (which it hopefully will) there will be fewer and fewer regional limitations. you can't expect a change this drastic to come to full fruition overnight, after all.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Obviously you must be a fan who thinks that only those who live in North America should have the right to watch everything that CR has to offer and let everybody else outside North America get frustrated or go to extreme measures to watch the anime that they feel they should be allowed to watch!

As I said before, I download fansubs and if anybody has a problem with me downloading fansubs, tough luck because my stance won't change any time soon!

You're not one of those "OMG CRUNCHYROLL IS RACIST" people who thinks they're blocking out these regions on purpose, are you? By and large it comes from the companies producing and distributing the anime that you seem to enjoy so much, and the agreements they have in place with their subsidiaries and distributors.

I'd tell you to take out your anger by boycotting their product but it sounds like you might be already doing that.

And regarding false advertising... They have always published which countries will hve access to which shows.

-Tofu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7