• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-01-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the Highlander movie. Sadly, I started to watch it on Sci-fi some time ago, because Hey! I like Highlander and I like anime, so the combination should be great, right? No, no it was not. I changed the channel with due speed.

Mr. Hanson, I can't put my finger on it, but you remind me of a classmate from high school.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
I was reminded about the tight-rope balancing of voice acting the other day when I heard a 10 year old girl on a show who sounded a lot like a 37 y/o woman, a young boy who must have hit puberty at 8, a sing-songy teacher and a mother to teenagers who sounded no older than 25. And that was an American-produced cartoon where they had plenty of time to produce the audio track first before they did the rest of the show.

I'm kind of particular about voicing, and agree that stunt-casting usually is a mixed bag. I mean, do we really expect people to flock to Lucky Star if we put Miley Cyrus as Kotana's voice? It's one of the things I like about Pixar -- no one is going to plaster Kathy Najimy and Craig T Nelson's names on the front of the DVD case in a desperate attempt to get sales. Still, they both did fabulous jobs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:
no one is going to plaster Kathy Najimy and Craig T Nelson's names on the front of the DVD case in a desperate attempt to get sales. Still, they both did fabulous jobs.

Hey, Craig T. Nelson can put asses in seats.

You probably don't want to see thoses asses, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused by the Highlander vitriol myself. I mean, sure, it wasn't what most people would call "good," but it wasn't nearly as heinous as some of the old OVAs and garbage series that Sci-Fi uses as time fillers. And at least it had a few people with awesome overdone Scottish accents. Razz

I don't know that I necessarily have a "jewel" of my collection, since I don't go out of my way to collect anime merchandise, and I've never had the opportunity to get anything I own autographed. I did consider being able to round out my Trigun Remix disks and snag a copy of the Samurai Champloo boxset right after the Geneon news first broke to be quite the prize, since both of those shows are near and dear to me. I'm also a big fan of my FLCL Ultimate Edition set, just because of how cool the packaging and presentation of it is. I guess my best answer would be related to that set, actually. The Ultimate Edition came with a postcard for a free FLCL shirt, but I only got around to sending it in a month or two back. When it finally came, there was a letter in the top of the box from a Broccoli employee (the producer of the English-language version, as it turns out) stating that, since they had run out of the shirt size I had requested, they had included not only the next-largest size, but also a free FLCL shot glass to make up for it. I was very pleasantly surprised by this, since I would have accepted even the larger shirt by itself. It really made me feel sad that Broccoli is ceasing domestic operations.

As for next week's question...what if we've never even managed to get someone to sit in the same room as us while watching anime? Razz
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hey, Craig T. Nelson can put asses in seats.

THANK YOU!!!
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
Oh, there's lots. You overlooked the wonderful and obvious Gankutsuou, and the mostly-OK Romeo X Juliet.

Since when are Le Comte de Monte Cristo or Romeo and Juliet American, and, in the latter case, a novel?

They have a point, Brian. When did Alexandre Dumas, père go from being French to being American? The same can be asked for Shakespeare; he was British, right?. This isn't like one of those "Freedom Fries" incidents of misplaced patriotism, is it?

@CorneredAngel:

Funny you should mention that; Mechatalk recently had a thread about it. Which was the first time I - a Heinlein fan before I was even ten - had heard there was an Anime adaptation. I was quite overjoyed, let me tell you.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Man, enough of the Highlander anime hate already! Anyone criticizing it clearly hasn't seen the movie sequels. And unless you've actually watched the tv shows, I doubt the movie was meant for you, anyway. As for other adaptations of Western pop culture, I'm surprised you didn't mention the X-Files manga. Oh, and why do you look like Michael Cera?

Corneredangel: But does it have Neil Patrick Harris? Wink
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Brian, I hope it gives you comfort that a random girl on the internet finds you cute.
redroses3164

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
I was planning to enter the banner contest but I have a question on it. Well it's more on what's on your shirt. What's on it specifically? I wanna look it up so I can have a clearer shot.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
I saw on Youtube the OP for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series where they (and eventually Shredder, Rocksteady and Bebop) find red crystals that transform them into either Super Sentai-like fighters or Eldritch Abominations - depends on which side of good or evil the character was, evidently. While an awesome way to waste around two minutes on the Internet, I wouldn't see a full episode of that thing except under duress.

My anime jewels would be the Special Editions of all four volumes of the American release of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, for no other reason that it was the first time I bought the SE of a series - and one of the only times I've got the SE of anything at all.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
I remember some of the old Pioneer VA's like Debby Derryberry, if that is indeed her real name, showing up as the voices of minor characters (or "miscellaneous voices") in Disney and Pixar productions in the late 1990's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I remember some of the old Pioneer VA's like Debby Derryberry, if that is indeed her real name, showing up as the voices of minor characters (or "miscellaneous voices") in Disney and Pixar productions in the late 1990's.

Lol... this made me think of the character Dorne in Star Ocean: First Departure who, according to the instruction manual, is voiced by one 'Dick Smallberries, Jr.' xD

As for the gem of my collection, it'd have to be my finally completed Kanon artbox, thanks to both ADV and Funi. I know it's a very divisive series in the fanbase, what with the moe, but I found it to be one of the best series I've seen in the last several years. So being able to finish out my box was a nice feeling, especially since I was buying two of every volume, to give a copy to my mom as well.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
Oh, there's lots. You overlooked the wonderful and obvious Gankutsuou, and the mostly-OK Romeo X Juliet.

Since when are Le Comte de Monte Cristo or Romeo and Juliet american?

I was going to say the same xD But in fact Brian seems to have answered the question as "based on western novels".

But you forgot Witchblade and the World Masterpiece Theater-Series, which today might belong to the "buried treasure" category, but is still getting new series right now as well (Les Miserables and another Anne of Green Gables-series, maybe more to come)
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
My gateway anime: Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl and Outlaw Star. They've both got a little bit of everything and only take themselves seriously when the plot needs to move. That and I always turn to those two titles when I get burnt out from the current season.

Most prized posession: Gotta be my memory of making my favorite mangaka, Hiro Mashima laugh at SDCC '08. I'm glad my joke was translatable and that he played along with me as well. (My Tite Kubo Shitajiki comes in a close second. It was the first time I've drawn and won anything for a fan art contest, and I got to blank out over my Japanese for a few seconds before telling him how awesome he was in English. Good times.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6