• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Relinquishes Ro-Kyu-Bu! Home Video Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't think there was anything like that in Ro-Kyu-Buu though. I mean, if it were Dance in the Vampire Bund then I could definitely see that argument holding more weight.

That said, this is really peculiar. Sentai seems to be on good terms with ASCII Media Works considering that they were able to snag the Persona 4 license, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

the media company/right holders in japan probably doesn't want the publicity if it does. I watched some of the show uncut and it's now worse than strike witches, dance in the vampire or even kohime muso which are all licensed. It's just a guess on my end...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
This was one of those series they licensed right when it first started airing, right?

My guess is the stream numbers were crap. I had absolutely no interest in watching it, and most of the people I know either didn't care for it or absolutely hated it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This was one of those series they licensed right when it first started airing, right?

My guess is the stream numbers were crap. I had absolutely no interest in watching it, and most of the people I know either didn't care for it or absolutely hated it.

That has nothing to do with it. Sentai didn't abandon the anime due to low expectations, it was bought back from them for whatever reason.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
[
the media company/right holders in japan probably doesn't want the publicity if it does. I watched some of the show uncut and it's now worse than strike witches, dance in the vampire or even kohime muso which are all licensed. It's just a guess on my end...

Thats ridiculous. RKB has nothing on any of those shows in terms of service.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This is odd. My first, little-considered guess is that they got skittish over anime's image and reputation in western markets, so they pulled this. It doesn't seem to be anywhere near as 'questionable' some some things that have been released. Perhaps somebody on this particular production committee decided to try reigning things in.

Or maybe it's some other reason entirely. Businesses are so delightfully opaque.

SpacemanHardy wrote:

I'm skeptical of that, because the report is that the Japanese rights holders asked for Sentai to relinquish their home video rights. I suppose that if Sentai indeed had decided that they didn't want to release it in DVD, they might have asked the production committee to ask them to relinquish their rights as some face-saving gesture, like when a disgraced politicians resigns rather than be impeached for ejected, but that seems rather too elaborate to me. Sentai has released some very obscure titles that couldn't have sold more than pittances before. I suppose that the reply to that is that they're being more careful because the losses that they might incur from the looming FUNImation lawsuit or have just gotten tired of losing money on obscure subtitled releases. Damned if I know.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Darn this is one of the few cutsy shows I was looking forward to getting eventually. Oh well, no big deal I guess, sad to see it won't be getting a physical release stateside though. No Loli Basketball animu DVDs for American fans I guess. Laughing Razz
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
When was the last time something like this happened where the production committee buys back the rights?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm skeptical of that, because the report is that the Japanese rights holders asked for Sentai to relinquish their home video rights. I suppose that if Sentai indeed had decided that they didn't want to release it in DVD, they might have asked the production committee to ask them to relinquish their rights as some face-saving gesture, like when a disgraced politicians resigns rather than be impeached for ejected, but that seems rather too elaborate to me. Sentai has released some very obscure titles that couldn't have sold more than pittances before. I suppose that the reply to that is that they're being more careful because the losses that they might incur from the looming FUNImation lawsuit or have just gotten tired of losing money on obscure subtitled releases. Damned if I know.

It's definitely not Sentai trying to save face:
Quote:
has requested a buyback of the series' home video rights for all licensees outside of Asian territories.
Sentai isn't all publishers outside of Asian territories, they have no control over France, Russia, Germany, Australia, Italy or whomever else might have licensed this. This is an effort to remove the anime from western markets, and it'd be nice to know the reason why. Again, I would be very doubtful if the reason came to be an error in contracting.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I was actually looking forward to this because I happen to like basketball. So I though it would be fun, cute, take on it.

Not sure if this is a loli issue. Like people have said there are "worse" things out there. It is still available for streaming and I guess it could even be available for Digital Download in the future, from the looks of it. So it is not like it is being completely pulled.

Personally I love to own physical copies so that means I will miss out on this series after all. Too bad. Perhaps it will get released someday.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Warner Brothers has done some really annoying things in the past as far as releases for me goes, but this takes the cake.
I really enjoyed this one as it had some rather good character developement for this type of series.

I was really hoping to add this one to my collection too.

Last edited by The Coffee God on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
Not sure if this is a loli issue. Like people have said there are "worse" things out there.

It's not the level of nudity, but how characters interact.

Strike Witches and Koihime Musō don't exactly have a male lead; in Dance in the Vampire Bund, the loli is also a matriarch, plus spoiler[she could return to her "true" form] anyway. All three stories were set in very unrealistic worlds (with Vampire Bund having a bit more realistic setting, but still far from happening in real life).

On the other hand, Ro-Kyu-Bu! sets its story in a very realistic environment, with an older male lead and five lolis in a typical harem pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
No real loss to me..moving on.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well that suck I would just get this just to see Hinata again
Betenoire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Nuts...I think.

I enjoyed the series and would probably have bought it, though I admit some elements had me a bit skittish at times.

Not happy about it for sure but not distraught either.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

It's not the level of nudity, but how characters interact.

[snip]

On the other hand, Ro-Kyu-Bu! sets its story in a very realistic environment, with an older male lead and five lolis in a typical harem pattern.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Considering that there have been some recent scandals involving coaches sexually abusing their students in the USA I would guess that the Licence holders decided to show a bit of restraint with this title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10