• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kishimoto: Naruto Manga to Continue Longer Than 1.5 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vsetupiyeuebki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Finally. This **** is over.
fire_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The anime version sold out.

What does even mean? By definition an anime adaption is usually green lit to cash in on a popular manga so yeah, I guess by default it 'sold out'.

And Kai is a perfect counter-example for people who complain anime-only stuff ruins a series. During Kai, they then realized tons of people love anime-only stuff and it's what makes a series stand out with its fanbase.

What are you talking about? Kai flopped not because of the removal of filler, the problem was that they didn't want to buy the dvds. It was a succes on tv itself, being listed in the weekly charts, but apparently no one wanted to buy a crappy 20-year old anime 'remake'.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
I was speaking from a creative standpoint not a financial one.
animegamingnerd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
i would like to see it end at the fourth great ninja war but i want to see all of the loses ends tied up more especially that since spoiler[orichimaru is back ] plus i want see the konoha 11 get the attention they were didn't get at the start of the war
animegamingnerd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
manga market in jp will go down once naruto and bleach is done after couple more years. They still have nothing to replace those sale numbers yet.
i don't see the japan market taking a hit but the us market i totally see taking a huge hit
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
animegamingnerd wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
manga market in jp will go down once naruto and bleach is done after couple more years. They still have nothing to replace those sale numbers yet.
i don't see the japan market taking a hit but the us market i totally see taking a huge hit

Hopefully in the 2+ years it takes to get all of Naruto out over here another series can become a heavyweight seller for Viz. Who knows, maybe One Piece or Toriko will do really well.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
Darn it... I was hoping this monstrosity of a so-called "story" would die off, be thrown into piles of manure, rot away and be forgotten in the piles of similar garbage (like Bleach) pretty soon.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I can't say I'm really surprised at this. I don't follow Naruto anymore, but I want it to get a proper conclusion. I simply wonder how he will deal with the whole Sasuke issue; from what fans have said, it sounds like he's gotten to be damn near irredeemable.

I wouldn't worry too much about the market after Naruto and Bleach ends. Toriko has basically surpassed Bleach already in terms of sales. (Not that Bleach sales are bad, of course.) The manga market will always adjust to manga ending and starting.

Toriko 19 sold less than 350,000 copies with 3 weeks on the charts before dropping off. Bleach 55 sold over 500,000 copies first week and over 600,000 before dropping off the charts.

So NO Toriko has not replaced Bleach and probably never will.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

Toriko 19 sold less than 350,000 copies with 3 weeks on the charts before dropping off. Bleach 55 sold over 500,000 copies first week and over 600,000 before dropping off the charts.

So NO Toriko has not replaced Bleach and probably never will.

The thing is, the Jump Editors know that Bleach is fading and going to be wrapped up "soon" -- so lacking any better alternative, they're trying to groom Toriko to be the "next big thing" after its done. (Granted, I don't think its going to work)

What other fighting-oriented series in Jump are going to be used to drive sales once Bleach and Naruto wrap up? You can't claim its a money issue that prevents higher sales for other titles in the magazine, because they can be had for 440yen. And many in Japan then resell to Book Off.
Ame_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
Wow you people should read more about JUMP. JUMP editors are not allowing the mangaka to tell when they are going to finish their manga since it can lower the sells and reader of the series, that's way JUMP never ever announce the end of a manga until the last chapter is published. Kishimoto said 1.5 years and then he said more than 1.5 years since he forgot what his editor told him.

This is one big misunderstanding, in 1.5 years I so going to laugh Very Happy
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one amused by how much it kills the chance of Storm 3 (Spring 2013) covering till the manga ends. Looking forward to people expanding outside the three when two of them leave serialization.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
fire_ wrote:
What are you talking about? Kai flopped not because of the removal of filler, the problem was that they didn't want to buy the dvds. It was a succes on tv itself, being listed in the weekly charts, but apparently no one wanted to buy a crappy 20-year old anime 'remake'.
Kai didn't flop on any metric relevant to a TV broadcast. It was canned because toy sales plummeted during its run(they later recovered, suggesting Toei had the right idea).
anigu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
It looks like the current ninja war will continue for another 1.5 year then. Not necessarily a bad news.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
All I have to say to that is WHY? It is so bloated the way it is... It's clearly entering the final stages - is there REALLY that much more story to tell? Ah well, I've been a grump when it comes to this series for years now, so I guess I should have seen this coming. Good news for fans, I guess.
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
I hope we will finally see who is behind Tobi's mask this year. (Christian Bale?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5