• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Standalone Complex Episodes 2-5

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:01 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
OH YES, DEFINITELY. Columnists are forumgoers, too. Don't put them on pedestals. When I post at my site, I'm as much a regular joe as the other people.

Rolling Eyes

He's not talking about the forum at all, he's talking about the columns written for ANN (usually paid) to represent ANN. The only person that truely represents ANN on the forum is Tempest, but when ANN prints something, no matter who wrote it, it's ANN's word. Nagisa is talking about the word of ANN, not of some Joe Blow forum user. ANN doesn't rip Adult Swim as a rule, can't really think of any time they ever have, but I can see a comment like, "Most heavily edited episode so far but that will change." as being rather dodgy and if anything pessimistic.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
To insert of a bit of journalistic opinion here..

Columns are supposed to contain some sort of subjective comment. This is the most glaring difference between a column and an article (just the facts, ma'am, no editorializing). Further, if columnists are being paid to represent X publication (or in this case, Web site - ANN) then their views generally should be in line with that of their employer's. I doubt we'll ever see (or have ever seen) an ANN columnist trash Adult Swim in a paid piece unless ANN endorses this attitude (not likely!). Forum posting is an entirely different arena where, as far as I'm concerned, everyone should be allowed to speak their mind within the bounds of the rules.

As far as behind the scenes goes around here, I would ASSUME that all columns are proofed by an editor to ensure that no unwanted content appears in print. This in itself is another stamp of approval by ANN on whatever we lackeys wind up reading.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
To insert of a bit of journalistic opinion here..
As far as behind the scenes goes around here, I would ASSUME that all columns are proofed by an editor to ensure that no unwanted content appears in print. This in itself is another stamp of approval by ANN on whatever we lackeys wind up reading.

Interesting. Then I have another question. The EDIT LIST that Mr. Pope does (is it Kyle Pope?), are they given the same treatment, because he does get harsh on some shows (deservingly so for some of 'em, too). Technically they're not columns, so can he say what he wants? I just want to know so then I can analyze/look for a consistent view in the columns.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:43 am Reply with quote
Last time I knew The Edit List was considered a column. Right? *sends question out to ANN Editors at large* Back me up here, guys.
GSAttack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:37 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
There are people, such as myself, who don't watch anime on Cartoon Network (couldn't if I wanted to) who are curious to see what was, and wasn't edited out.

I think this also applies the other way around. There are a couple of Animes I've seen on AS that I have never seen on DVD. I am interested in knowing what I miss when I watch these Animes on a public broadcast network, even if it's an entry that assures me I didn't miss anything.

I do applaud AS for making a lot less edits in the Anime they show now from what they have done in the past.
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch Kyle for another edit list batch Smile

I so very much appreciate it when you list what was suprisingly not editied out (the Not and edit). Is so very useful. Please keep up with the super work. i'm just glad that the series on adult swim are being allowed more umm "stuff" to be aired. (of course you can't show graphic sex or curse words....yet.

Though I've only seen 7 episodes of the Ghost in the Shell does it become more Risque (Spelling) as the series progresses?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Though I've only seen 7 episodes of the Ghost in the Shell does it become more Risque (Spelling) as the series progresses?

Not so much risque, as kinda nasty. There's an episode that involves a spoiler[killer who skins his victims], and the language in the dubbed version gets a lot saltier, but in a dramatically appropriate way.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:

Nobody censors opinions around here, and there is definitely no "official" view that columnists adhere to. The only editing is for clarity and technical issues. Why would it be any other way?
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:

Nobody censors opinions around here, and there is definitely no "official" view that columnists adhere to. The only editing is for clarity and technical issues. Why would it be any other way?

Ok . . . juuuuuusssssttttt wanted to know Wink.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at the assumption that the edits will get significantly worse, in part because of what they let through in episode 1. If CN is willing to show the naked android and an extreme close-up of a person's foot being shot off at the ankle, I don't think the editing is likely to get extreme.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
I'm surprised at the assumption that the edits will get significantly worse, in part because of what they let through in episode 1. If CN is willing to show the naked android and an extreme close-up of a person's foot being shot off at the ankle, I don't think the editing is likely to get extreme.

I think deep down there's this secret desire in fans to want the show to be edited for TV. Otherwise there wouldn't be all these stupid scare tactics like "OMG! THEYRE GOING TO BUTCHER EP 12!" and "Guys do you think they'll edit this out because they probably will." and "Ep 203909 would NEVER fly on TV!" Don't know why, but when I notice something gets through and fans say "Wow! They actually SHOWED that!" there's always this hint of disappointment in them.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:10 am Reply with quote
While the news articles would fall under the word of ANN, the columns are more akin to newspaper reviews and editorials where the columnist gets to express their opinions as an individual.

Also, in light of what everyone has said compared to 2001 to 2004, pointing out "not an edit" is definitely important in comparing the progression of editing on CN. This tells us something of what is admissable and gives us a more well rounded view, with positives and negatives. This also allows us to compare 2004 edits between AS anime and anime elsewhere on the channel and other channels. If we are compare 2001 Adult Swim to today, then I don't see while the article was doing it.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Shale wrote:

I think deep down there's this secret desire in fans to want the show to be edited for TV. Otherwise there wouldn't be all these stupid scare tactics like "OMG! THEYRE GOING TO BUTCHER EP 12!" and "Guys do you think they'll edit this out because they probably will." and "Ep 203909 would NEVER fly on TV!" Don't know why, but when I notice something gets through and fans say "Wow! They actually SHOWED that!" there's always this hint of disappointment in them.

EXACTLY. Deep down fans don't want these shows to become popular, which is JUST THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE HEARD OF. It's like that every anime board I goto to (except mine Wink). Why must those entrenched in the darkness always fear the light? I wonder . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2