• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Big Trouble in Little Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Someone with awesome digital skills should create "Kenichi without Kenichi" (kind of like Garfield without Garfield.)

Well, ok, so that probably wouldn't work nearly as well, but honestly; after seeing one episode of Kenichi, I came to the realisation that the only character in that show I didn't like.... was Kenichi. The show would have been funny if it had been only about the group of somewhat eccentric martial arts masters that lived in that dojo in the middle of nowhere, and centered around their day to day activities and zen discussions. As it were, Kenichi came more across as a comfort series for people who were beat up in school. Kind of like those 80's martial arts movies starring children who suddenly received training just out of nowhere and became masters in the duration of a month or a year tops. (Sidekicks, anyone?)
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
At the very least, Kenchi doesn't say "belive it" every episode, unlike Naruto.

Might be a valid argument, if "Believe it" hadn't been virtually unheard since episode 25. Confused

Anyway, those are some nice shelves. As for the reviews, I'll pick Welcome to the NHK eventually (thanks, Funi, for covers that actually match the show's content! Wink ), Tokyo Majin and Kenchi are passes, and I already own Samurai 7 but might upgrade it to Blu-Ray someday.

[EDIT: Tweaked "has" to "hadn't," as that seems like what you meant. If I'm wrong, change it back Embarassed ~Zalis]
Sorce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
I completely disagree with the review of Kenichi. I think you're taking it to seriously. Everything about the show is a joke. You've got the absurdly big breasted, awesome fighting, "beautiful" Miu, There's nothing about her that's not a joke. The completely perverted Ma, who is constantly taking pictures of Miu in compromising positions. Constantly! Then Shigure who has no emotion, and whips-out swords and knifes at every opportunity. Then Apachai who is basically a large child that can kill you with ease, and can't learn to "Go easy" on anyone. I could go on, but either way, the point is that EVERYthing about this show is way over the top. I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. I think if you watch it as a comedy, not a shonen fighting series you'll enjoy it.
This is pretty much why I like the show as well. Kenichi is every single stereotype and trope of the shounen genre all wrapped into one, and it is absolutely hilarious. The show makes no apologies for being what it is, and is a riot.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
What's this about Kenichi trying to be a serious shonen anime when it's blatently being billed and advertised as a comedy? And really, that's what the show is. It's not being false advertised like ADV's NHK covers. Why you went into Kenichi thinking it took itself seriously as a shonen series is beyond me....

I mean, look at FUNi's Kenichi ads, on this very website.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
What's up with the whining for the NHK single covers? Pretty girls in different costumes!? SHOCK! Seriously though, if you ordered the show online, then no problems for you. If you had issues because you wanted to buy at B&M:

Sepherest wrote:
It's nice to see N.H.K get a new release....and new covers as well.
I know I'm not the only one that would've been a little red in the face if I went to the store counter with the others.

Then you're just not AWESOME enough to do it Razz

I remember clearly jamming NHK v.4 in the cashier's face. YES, I AM buying this with hard-earned money! Of course I got no response from the cashier while I was standing there... which left me disappointed.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
I actually had the oppisite reaction, Bamboo. For a series with two to three times the budget of Gurren Lagann, I was amazed at how it looked like crap half the time. The story was pretty cool, and I liked the characters, but sometimes the QUALITY was ridiculous. In like episode 4 or 5 the Street Performer Samurai dodges some arrows mid-air and it looked awful. You see the same animation four or five times when the 7 defend the village in the rain. The fight scene's are just not that good 75% of the time.

I will say that the dub was awesome and the true villain was pretty cool to watch.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree that your review of Kenichi was a bit harsh. I never saw it as a shonen series at all, from the start I watched it as a parody and thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, he trains for a week and kicks the big guy's @ss is the formula for any shonen fight lol. Dragonball Z, Bleach, Naruto, Buso Renkin, etc. etc...the timelines may be a bit longer but it boils down to that.

Yeah, the fanservice was over the top just a smidge, but I still think it was a very entertaining parody.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The breasts in this show are absolutely absurd, and not just because they're bulbous sacs of air that rest in perfect suspension. Somehow, their clothes are able to wrap perfectly around each individual breast, like some kind of sock. Or a glove, for breasts. Look at this. Does this look right to you?

Feverishly begins work on new invention, "boob socks" Shocked
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
What's up with the whining for the NHK single covers? Pretty girls in different costumes!? SHOCK! Seriously though, if you ordered the show online, then no problems for you.

Who said it had anything to do with being embarrassed with buying it at a store? I disliked the original covers because it's got nothing to do with the series, and I just personally am not a fan of fanservice covers (yes, a guy who isn't crazy about fanservice, shocking Rolling Eyes ). I can forgive it if it was actually in the series (for example, the Haruhi artbox having Mikuru in a bunny outfit is acceptable, because it was in the show) but otherwise, I'm just like "WTH"?
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
What's up with the whining for the NHK single covers? Pretty girls in different costumes!? SHOCK! Seriously though, if you ordered the show online, then no problems for you.

Assuming that you don't know anybody in real life, I suppose.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Comedies ought to be funny. That's the point of a comedy. Shows that are bad, but try to cover it up by saying, "No, see, I'm joking-- get it?" are still bad.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Comedies ought to be funny. That's the point of a comedy. Shows that are bad, but try to cover it up by saying, "No, see, I'm joking-- get it?" are still bad.

You mean to say that it is your opinion that Kenichi is a bad comedy? Because I happen to think it's funny. That is my opinion.
zhir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Obviously it's her opinion. That's how reviews work.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:

Who said it had anything to do with being embarrassed with buying it at a store? I disliked the original covers because it's got nothing to do with the series, and I just personally am not a fan of fanservice covers (yes, a guy who isn't crazy about fanservice, shocking Rolling Eyes ). I can forgive it if it was actually in the series (for example, the Haruhi artbox having Mikuru in a bunny outfit is acceptable, because it was in the show) but otherwise, I'm just like "WTH"?

I like the covers that Welcome to the N.H.K came in. While yes, it's a bit misleading, I don't see that much of a problem with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So "Welcome to the NHK" has been released without those appalling "sexy pose" covers? Hmm, maybe I should rethink it now. I hated the first episode because I felt it was making fun of the main character (clearly mentally ill), and then I loved the book so much that I was worried about adaptation decay... but maybe I should give it a rent now.

As for "Samurai 7"... I was so disappointed at the ending! I don't want to run into major spoilers, but they kept the final line of the movie (that this was the villager's victory) but in the final battle of the show the villagers did nothing!!

Funny, I seem to remember them building siege engines and what not. Still, as unrealistic as the show is, don't you think it'd be even more unrealistic for the villagers to be fighting the bandits (giant cyborgs of death doom)?

Quote:
And they didn't seem to think through any of the changes they made. Why are people still planting rice in the future the way they did in the early 1800s??
What's wrong with it? They're just trying to evoke a fuedal flavor to the show by having the peasants. It's kind of hard to have peasants outside of an agrarian system anyways >.>

Quote:
Why are they using swords to fight robots??

Did you actually look at the title of the show o,o?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4