• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love Quest GN

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is there any big difference between the plots/characters in these BL manga? They always seem to take place in modern metropolitan Japan with no supernatural elements. I can't imagine they're anything more complex than fabulously pretty boys runs into somewhat more diminutive but also fabulously cute boy. What makes one title better than any other?

erm, Love Quest definitely has supernatural elements. I think Casey actually would have preferred LESS supernatural elements Laughing
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Do people who don't like BL read BL reviews just so they can whine about not having enough yuri to fap to?

Quote:
It helps to consider "Love Quest" a black comedy making fun of those "protagonist slips into alternate reality and instantly becomes hero/sorceror/guardian of the realm" stories.
In this case, the protagonist becomes a power supply for the heroine of the realm - by engaging in "ecch" activities... as I said, Hentai for BL.

IMO it sounds like the basis of a clever hentai satire that didn't really pan out with the clever factor.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
Do people who don't like BL read BL reviews just so they can whine about not having enough yuri to fap to?

Actually it seems like there are certain people who hate BL who feel the need to chime in against BL on reviews, or when a new title's announced, etc.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Aww it's not prize winning literature but it's not THAT bad either. I personally like it MUCH better than "Alone in My King's Harem".

And while I never really made up my mind on Marion, I should like to point out that Marion is usually the male spelling of Marian.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Actually it seems like there are certain people who hate BL who feel the need to chime in against BL on reviews, or when a new title's announced, etc.

Wow. I'm not sure why that surprises me a little.

I wonder why it's so hard for some people to ignore genres they don't care about. It works well for me.
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
I wonder why it's so hard for some people to ignore genres they don't care about. It works well for me.
Exactly. I don't say boo about 90% (probably more) of the anime/manga that gets mentioned in ANN and it's not because "silence implies consent." It's because either A.) I haven't read/watched/otherwise-consumed the series and therefore feel unqualified to comment on it; or B.) I can tell by its synopsis it wouldn't appeal to me/wasn't meant to appeal to me, in which case I try to ignore it right off the bat, assuming it's doing no harm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
IAmZim wrote:
“I'm not gay; I just think you're pretty!”

This is why I can't enjoy BL like Hoshino Lilo's, her stories are really just heterosexual romance disguised as M/M. Not only do her Uke's look like girls, they act like it too; I guess the only reason she even does BL is cause she'd rather draw two cute guys.

As one of my friends so succintly put it "her BL is just girls with *****"
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I swore that first one they brought over (Alone in My King's Harem) was originally shojo & they just used all male pronouns.

I think the "gay" issue looms large on BL hate. How often do we see "BL sucks! License more yuri!!" We're talking gay on both genres, but it's ok to enjoy yuri.
I've posted on yuri threads-to cheer them on. I really believe fans of yuri deserve all they can get, but just don't slam my yaoi.

Flower Bride arrived a couple days ago. I haven't cracked it open yet (working on Alley of First Love)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2