• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Into the Blue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rune Factory 3, newly announced for the DS in Japan, adds another such feature by letting its main character change into monsters, sorta like Rue did in Threads of Fate.

Color me interested (especially with the reference to ToF, my favorite game that hardly anyone has heard of). Can we play as a girl in this one yet? Probably not *sigh*
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Adapting Guilty Gear's four-button setup

Huh? The rest of the review seemed meandering, and meaningless, but hey, it was positive at least!
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Samurai Pizza Cats! Man that was a great show. Didn't know their was an NES game but guess I shouldn't be surprised. Sucks they didn't bring it over here.

Time to hunt for an emulator version~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Hm... I could see Sakura Taisen's dual DVD setup really backfiring. Since you're getting 2 copies of the game, keep one and give the other to a friend or sell it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why she's so dang popular. Confused

Apparently you haven't been to the correct websites then Twisted Evil
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool that NISA is doing that. I'm kind of excited because I've heard about the series for so long but have never been able to play it.

I played the Samurai Pizza Cats game on an emulator once. It actually was pretty darn fun.

DuelLadyS wrote:
Shadow of Desiny- there's a game I haven't seen mentioned in years. That was the second title I bought for my PS2, and largely to protect my last dab of graduation money from my (at the time) sticky-fingered brother (glad to say he's long since grown out of that habit.) One of the most unusual games I've ever played, and one of the few I re-played several times to get all the endings (although part of that is from how short a play-through can be.) I had a good time with that game.

To this day, I still regret selling that game. Hopefully they'll release the PSP version here!
roesnail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
this summer i have alot of fighting games to play. im currently playing bb, motw, and vanguard princess, and sf4. and there still is mvc 2, and kof to be released
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Shepperoni wrote:
So I'm guessing the Sky Crawlers game will have more action than the movie? Nothing against the movie, I actually liked the pacing. I just can't imagine the game having the same pace! Confused

You mean, staring outside a window, going outside and staring some more, possibly playing with a basset hound, smoking, drinking, smoking again, and (female pilot only) sniffing other people's bedsheets wouldn't make for a great game?

I kid Sky Crawlers because I love. But yes, I'd imagine it'd mostly be story cutscenes and piloting action........ well, unless they sneak in a "point of interest #2" mini-game....
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Hm... I could see Sakura Taisen's dual DVD setup really backfiring. Since you're getting 2 copies of the game, keep one and give the other to a friend or sell it.

Well, they could always be jerks about it and make it so that you need both to start the game. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wellness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's unfortunate that Guilty Gear fans, the ones most easily drawn to BlazBlue, are also the ones most likely to be let down by the game's comparatively bland plot and designs. In looks and backstory, most of the characters resemble Guilty Gear fighters; the bloblike Arakune is a melting Eddy, Litchi is Jam, Hakumen looks a lot like Justice, and leading man Ragna is Sol Badguy with raw, undiluted angst instead of gruff disdain. No, fighting games don't need stories, but memorable characters always help, and BlazBlue has too many faces that the average fighter enthusiast or anime fan has seen many times already.

The characters who aren't cast in solid stereotypes are often less appealing. Jin Kisaragi is clearly not Guilty Gear's Ky Kiske, because Ky was amusingly over-earnest and sympathetic. Jin is a sneering jackass who occasionally dips into raving psychosis, and he's never interesting for it. Noel is also a disgrace. She's one of the game's three key characters, along with Ragna and Jin, and her role suggests a sensible, dedicated counterpoint to both Ragna's gloom and Jin's unstable cruelty. Yet she's the exact opposite. While apparently a soldier, she seems a timid, perpetually ashamed, kitten-like schoolgirl who spends her story mode in a ringer of breast jokes and forced costume changes.

Some of the other fighters come off better. Rachel is entertaining in her regal condescension, and her attacks and demonic sidekicks make her look like some unused fighter from the Darkstalkers series. Bang is an endearing goofball, and it takes awhile for his glorious theme song to get old. Taokaka's look is creative for an anime catgirl, even if her personality can grate. And they're the highlights. All too often, BlazBlue resembles Guilty Gear with its hair-metal overkill removed and replaced by standard anime science fiction.

While I can agree with some of this (I hate everything about Jin from personality and general play style), Litchi isn't much like Jam beyond showing leg and both being female Chinese with pony tails and Arakune is much MUCH more then just a melted Eddie once you know how his Drive is used. Also not mentioning Iron Tager as one of the highlights is just wrong.

There is some truth about the game's aesthetics resembling Guilty Gear but it isn't like there is
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
with how many years Arc devoted to the GG series it'd be really hard for BB to NOT have some characters paying homage to BB's predecessor. Sure, there are definitely some elements of Sol, Ky, Potemkin, etc in the designs but I wouldn't go as far to label them as knockoffs and Mori sure as heck didn't let their personalities be taken for granted.

Anyway I've been loving every second of what I've played of BB, even the Story mode which actually has a plot that makes sense (though Tao, Bang, and some branching paths are NOT to be taken seriously). So far Ragna has been my main with Noel as my sub. I can't wait to see what Arc has in store next.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Saw BlazBlue at the recent expo. It seems pretty killer. I don't think I'll ever own it but I can honestly say color me impressed.

Samurai Pizza Cats, haha, best show I ever saw as a kid. I learned it was changed a lot from its previous version, but I can't say I care all that much. Their English theme song was just too funny Anime hyper
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Wellness wrote:
Litchi isn't much like Jam beyond showing leg and both being female Chinese with pony tails

Agreed, Litchi is much more than an homage to Jam. Noel plays a great deal more like EX mode Jam (her expanded chi moves, at the cost of her trademark kicks) than Litchi does. The only similarities to Jam are the Chinese appearance and the subtle play style one has to use to actually be effective.

Both Litchi and Jam are all about set up and cornering. If you think that Jam or Litchi are easy button mashers, you are going to be beaten time and time again. That's where the comparison ends.

Litchi relies a great deal more on the distance to the opponent. She can outrange many with her staff in hand, but she needs to get in close to work without it. Moving in and out of range is key until you can pin your opponent into a wall for a pincer attack with the returning staff and a long, broken-rhythm combo. You also have to know where the staff is at all times (especially when off the visible screen), since it is the key to your victory.

With Jam, you didn't care where you were on the screen, as long as you were close to your opponent. You were going to go up. Jam was all about a powered up kicks and chained juggle combos. You could never use the same kick twice in a row, which is exactly the same as Noel's Drive.
kamui85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone I posted this in this post because I don’t see a video game section on the forums, I’m looking for the name of a 2D fighting game for the PS2 that looks like Guilty Gear but was released much earlier than Blaz Blue. I remember the review, on the X button, saying something like the game would be popular with the girls because of the Bishounen looks of its characters.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
Hi everyone I posted this in this post because I don’t see a video game section on the forums, I’m looking for the name of a 2D fighting game for the PS2 that looks like Guilty Gear but was released much earlier than Blaz Blue. I remember the review, on the X button, saying something like the game would be popular with the girls because of the Bishounen looks of its characters.

Going to nee more information then that. I mean the only thing that come to my mind is Fist of the North Star game, but there have been more then a few fighting games for PS2 that are similar in appearance to GG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3