• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment [2010-10-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
As long as the K-On! Blu-Rays look impeccable and have the Japanese audio, I'm not going to balk at the price. K-On! is an important series to me and I don't mind paying $10+ per episode for a quality release (plus the CD singles, even though I already have the Japanese import CD singles of the first opening & closing songs).

It'll still be significantly cheaper than buying the Japanese Blu-Rays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, they wouldn't need to redub the original Gundam, since the existing dub is pretty damn good, so there was no need to announce that they aren't. Good to have the original Japanese track now. I love Torhu Furuya et al.

No Turn A Gundam dub is a little disappointing, but given the lack of quality in the Gundam 00 dub, maybe that's for the best.

Between the original series, Turn A, and Unicorn, I'm going to be one broke Gundam geek.

Unfortunately a lot of people (maintly those anti dubbers) did not liked the dub for the original gundam (mainly cause it was edited during it's run on toonami in the late 90's ) . Though it would have been interesting if there were a new one ,the old dub is fine in my eyes.

However I am seriously pissed off their got my hopes up with turn A. Was looking forward to watching it in englsh dub , and hopefully the other gundam series that have not been dubbed and released in the US might be in the future ESPECIALLY ZZ Gundam and Victory Gundam.

At least they have not changed anything with Unicorn , which of the OVA's might be the best gundam OVA since 0083 Stardust Memory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
At least they have not changed anything with Unicorn , which of the OVA's might be the best gundam OVA since 0083 Stardust Memory.

Don't kid yourself. 0083 was the weakest UC OVA by far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Finally, FINALLY we get the announcement I've been waiting for! The Gundam 00 movie is getting dubbed! I can't wait!

I very much like seeing all these Blu-Ray releases too! It may even be restoring some hope in me that we'll get the Gundam 00 movie on Blu-ray as well.

Same here! The wait's going to hurt lol.

Yeah if only, man would that be awesome Smile (And I'm looking forward to a few of those new Blu-Rays)
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However I am seriously pissed off their got my hopes up with turn A. Was looking forward to watching it in englsh dub , and hopefully the other gundam series that have not been dubbed and released in the US might be in the future ESPECIALLY ZZ Gundam and Victory Gundam.

Unfortunately I think dubbing a 50-episode series which is already 10+ years old just doesn't seem realistic in the current state of the industry
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me, but when did they say that they were releasing Turn A Gundam without a dub? I'm looking through the transcript, and it doesn't really say anything about it being release soon at all. Keeping in mind that they had the license for the Z Gundam movies for years before doing anything with them, this looks like the same case where they're holding on to it until further notice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Don't kid yourself. 0083 was the weakest UC OVA by far.

And yet easily the most fun to watch.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Excuse me, but when did they say that they were releasing Turn A Gundam without a dub? I'm looking through the transcript, and it doesn't really say anything about it being release soon at all. Keeping in mind that they had the license for the Z Gundam movies for years before doing anything with them, this looks like the same case where they're holding on to it until further notice.

Quote:
11:50:02 <bay> turn a gundam, dub? no plans

Doesn't say "no dub", but that there aren't plans to dub it.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Quote:
11:50:02 <bay> turn a gundam, dub? no plans

Doesn't say "no dub", but that there aren't plans to dub it.

It says no plans, but it doesn't say that it would be released any time soon, or that it would be sub-only. There may be plans to dub it in the future.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I think dubbing a 50-episode series which is already 10+ years old just doesn't seem realistic in the current state of the industry

I know , and with this global recession , not to mentioned most fans are sub only pursuits and with the series obivously gonna be ripped and illegaly streamed on outside sites which means less sale revenue for the co, it would not bode well at this time.

But hopefully when the economy has stabalized, as well as the industry is in better shape ( stoping illegal dub streamers at the source and stiffer penalities for the sites that host copyright meterials), they could at least try to release Turn A as well as ZZ ala Dokuro-chan. Release a sub version first and if sale is satisfactory , include a dub for the complete collection box set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, thing is, English dubs are mostly a marketing tool. And Turn A Gundam is basically unmarketable. We should feel lucky Bandai Entertainment even bothered licensing Turn A, because I can't see them even profiting off of it.

We have a show that failed utterly in Japan, that doesn't have very marketable mecha (though I personally love the Turn A's design), doesn't have marketable characters, and is very story-driven. All they could possibly due is maybe release soundtracks, but this is for a show that is ten years old, so getting people to even care about that would be nearly impossible.

No, it's a pretty big surprise that Bandai would even bother with Turn A Gundam. As a fan of it, I'm pretty excited, but it's me and about nine other people who will even give a crap about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Me? I'm just if or how Bandai's gonna pimp Syd Mead's name on the DVD. "From the designer of Blade Runner, and Aliens!!! Of course, with the new Tron movie coming out, I'm sure they'll even mention that? Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Me? I'm just if or how Bandai's gonna pimp Syd Mead's name on the DVD. "From the designer of Blade Runner, and Aliens!!! Of course, with the new Tron movie coming out, I'm sure they'll even mention that? Smile

Doesn't matter; it's an older show with a limited fanbase even among mecha fans, even among Gundam fans.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, thing is, English dubs are mostly a marketing tool. And Turn A Gundam is basically unmarketable. We should feel lucky Bandai Entertainment even bothered licensing Turn A, because I can't see them even profiting off of it.

We have a show that failed utterly in Japan, that doesn't have very marketable mecha (though I personally love the Turn A's design), doesn't have marketable characters, and is very story-driven. All they could possibly due is maybe release soundtracks, but this is for a show that is ten years old, so getting people to even care about that would be nearly impossible.

No, it's a pretty big surprise that Bandai would even bother with Turn A Gundam. As a fan of it, I'm pretty excited, but it's me and about nine other people who will even give a crap about it.

but it's like i said. It's not just you who is interested in the series, there could be a lot other who are basically gundam fans like myself that will buy it, especially the hardcore otakus that will get rid of their fansub eps and will finally be able to watch an offical one (even though dubbers like myself has strucked out thanks to this announcement)

So i would not go as far as only 9 people in the US that give a crap about Turn A and ZZ. If it's gundam, it'll probably be successful in the US ( the original was not that successful in Japan but was in the US thanks to it's massive run on CN's Toonami ) which is what i am hoping for that if both series sells well in the US It will convince the big wigs at sunrise to merrit a dub.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network never even gave the original series a full run.

The only successful Gundam anime in North America was Gundam Wing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3