• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Universal, Illumination Get Film Rights for Urasawa's Pluto Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrillXIII

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Dear Hollywood,

Stop getting licenses to properties you'll never make movies of.

Thank you.

I don't mind. After all, don't the original creators/companies still get a nice fat bundle of dough?

The Xenos wrote:
While the idea of a series of movies based on Urasawa's works is exciting... I really don't know if it will be done right. I've yet to see Hollywood get shorter American books right. You got your Sin City and 300 being pretty spot on... but Frank Miller is no Urasawa. Ghost World was a smaller film. Hellboy was only occasionally close to the books. Dark knight and Batman Begins were good with the task of adaption 30 years of the many versions of the character, but in no way was the direct adaptation Pluto would need. Hell, even Japan and Warners did an awful job on Death Note.

What about A History of Violence? I never read the original comic, but I quite enjoyed the film. David Cronenberg was responsible, and also wrote the screenplay for the Monster adaptation which appears to have died.

On the main subject, I'm a little hesitant. Illumination has only done Despicable Me, and the following are its upcoming projects:

Hop
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
Flanimals
Where's Waldo?
The Addams Family
Despicable Me 2
Curious George
Untitled Cryptozoology Project

None of these speak to anything resembling the kind of aesthetic a Pluto adaptation needs, i.e. Blade Runner, predominantly live-action etc...
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
At first I was really excited to hear this. The 20th Century Boys movies were well-written, very nicely casted representations of the manga. I'd love to see another Urasawa classic get the same treatment.

Then I realized... this is being done by a Hollywood studio. The same kind of people who brought us the wonderful movie adaptations of Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution... I have a feeling this movie is going to be based very loosely on the original source material. Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
kRILL: The AHOV movie was full of itself. The book's better. Also, Cronenberg had nothing to do with the screenplay. He didn't even know it was based on a comic until the last minute.
KrillXIII

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
kRILL: The AHOV movie was full of itself. The book's better. Also, Cronenberg had nothing to do with the screenplay. He didn't even know it was based on a comic until the last minute.

The directing was still excellent, which Cronenberg was responsible for and I'd think it would be a relief if you thought the movie was "full of itself" and it turned out the guy who wrote the Monster screenplay did not write the screenplay for A History of Violence.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
It's too bad they're not making full anime TV shows out of Urasawa's stuff instead. I would have loved to have seen Pluto and 20th Century Boys done up as a full anime TV series instead like what they did with Monster. Just my 2 cents, but here's hoping they do it justice, the Pluto manga is fantastic.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Krill: Well, Monster was already preachy, so maybe the AHOV scribe would tone that aspect of the source material down.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Call my a cynic, but I highly doubt a mature and intelligent look at Astro Boy gets off the ground in the U.S. without someone on the level of Spielberg (Who already did A.I.) being involved or being changed to the point of it not being recognizable (I'm 99.9% sure the robot designs would be changed drastically. Not that I have a problem with that). I can just imagine a version where the only thing they'd keep is the Hannibal Lector-esque robot.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
KrillXIII wrote:
On the main subject, I'm a little hesitant. Illumination has only done Despicable Me,

Yeah, all hopes of this being good went out the window with this:
Quote:
Illumination Entertainment, headed by former FOX Animation head Chris Meledandri, will execute the project, a follow-up to the successful Despicable Me.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/universal-hopes-to-replicate-massive-success-of-as,46608/

Are they out of their mind. Pluto is an adult twist on the kids manga Astro Boy. It is NOT a kids manga. It's like Universal taking Crime and Punishment or Steven King's The Green Mile and saying they want to make it into a CG / live action kids film. It doesn't work that way. Urasawa's a very mature writer for adult readers. While his work isn't really graphic in nature, his themes and tone are.

Honestly, this is the most mismatched adaptation I have heard in some time. What's next, some idiot suit is going to want to make a kids cartoon out of Slaughterhouse Five?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2