• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam 00 Film Sells 59,000 BDs to Top Weekly Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Caught a glimpse at NYAF, and unfortunately it was just a piece of trash in comparison with both the TV series and the rest of the gundam franchise. The show reverts to Seed Destiny level.

In fact I'm actually surprised it sold so many.

I would have to say the drop in quality happened during the second season when they removed the fact that both sides of the war where portrayed sympathetically, and they tried to tell me that war can be simplified into being caused entirely by misunderstanding. Also 00 Raiser is way to overpowered.

An overpowerd mecha in an AU Gundam series? I'm shocked.

I thought 00 was the best Gundam series I've seen in years. I'm looking forward to the movie.

Totally the same here, I absolutely loved the 00 series, can't wait for the movie.

C'mon Bandai Ent, you better give us a BD of this movie so I can give you even more money Smile

Megiddo wrote:
Hmm... again, I expected this to sell more.

Oh well, guess these recent releases (Nanoha/Haruhi/Gundam 00/etc) just show how hard it is to break 100k first week combined sales, since i don't think any of them managed to break that barrier.

And it also shows just how much clout Eva has since it had around 650,000 combined first week sales with 2.22.

The article makes it sound like this is only the more expensive $125+ Complete Edition blu-ray set so it might be with the regular edition BD sales added in or close to 100k.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Caught a glimpse at NYAF, and unfortunately it was just a piece of trash in comparison with both the TV series and the rest of the gundam franchise. The show reverts to Seed Destiny level.

I would have to say the drop in quality happened during the second season when they removed the fact that both sides of the war where portrayed sympathetically, and they tried to tell me that war can be simplified into being caused entirely by misunderstanding. Also 00 Raiser is way to overpowered.

I thought 00 was the best Gundam series I've seen in years. I'm looking forward to the movie.

Even Strike Freedom was around the power of the other 4 top tier Gundams (Akatsuki, Destiny, Legend, Infinite Justice). Same thing with God Gundam in G Gundam, it was certainly powerful but it didn't dwarf the abilities of the other members of the Shuffle Alliance. 00 Raiser basically made most of the enemies, and the rest of Celestial Being largely useless.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Even Strike Freedom was around the power of the other 4 top tier Gundams (Akatsuki, Destiny, Legend, Infinite Justice). Same thing with God Gundam in G Gundam, it was certainly powerful but it didn't dwarf the abilities of the other members of the Shuffle Alliance. 00 Raiser basically made most of the enemies, and the rest of Celestial Being largely useless.

But Setsuna wouldn't have been able to survive through those other 49 episodes without the rest of his teammates, and I haven't seen the movie yet, but I doubt it consists entirely of him one-shotting everyone in five minutes.

I mean, I see where you're going, but it's not like DBZ-level overshadowing where everyone may as well let Goku take care of everything instead of wasting 20-episodes of other people fight.
nakobass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Gundam 00 is the best Gundam series I have ever seen. Enjoyed the whole TV series, and from what I have seen of the Movie. It's an instant classic. I'm buying it on Bluray, and I don't even have a Bluray player.
If you loved and watched all of the Gundam 00 TV series, you will love the Movie. If your a diehard Gundam Universal Century fan, don't even bother. You guys will hate it no matter how good it is.
Everyone else, it's pure gold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-u-ppohMNQ
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
That's great to hear about the 00 film. It's because Gundam is going Blu-Ray, with no Gundam whatsoever in iTunes yet (damn it Bandai, put it in iTunes & the Zune store for crying out loud!!), that I bought a Blu-ray player to compliment my HDTV. At least now I'm prepared for Gundam Unicorn & 00 Awakening of the Trailblazer. Hopefully, we'll get some on time releases of all of the Gundam stuff headed our way. Re-release of the original, Turn-A-Gundam, 00 Movie, & more Unicorn.

No matter what some UC fans think, I like the entire franchise. Each one added something special. Star Trek fans are starting the same fragmentation. There are original Trek, Next Gen, DS9, Voy, & Enterprise fans. I like them all, but I do think Voyager was the poorest version. As much as SEED & Destiny get so much hate, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. SEED is a carbon copy of the original Gundam. I don't think the comparison between Destiny & Zeta Gundam are fair. There really isn't a "Titans" group, & Phantom Pain wasn't really big enough to count. It was more like SEED part II than a Zeta copy.

Gundam 00 is purely a spin of Zeta that lives up to the original. I do think that Destiny is definitely the poorest version of Gundam, but it has it's moments. Destiny vs Strike Freedom during Operation Fury definitely stands out in my mind.

I am really loving what's being done with Unicorn. If this is what the future holds, the franchise is in good hands.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2