• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Profits Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
The fact that Bandai is blaming poor performance in America is untrue and biased.

How can you say it's untrue and biased, have you personally examined Bandai Co.'s books? Have you read reports that say otherwise?

Bandai Co. is actually a publicly traded company, you can, with a bit of effort gain access to their financial statements.

Now while you might not be willing to do that, financial reporters do it, and if Bandai had been lying about where the losses were it would be reported very widely. The public doesn't take well to companies that are proven to lie to their shareholders.

As long as there isn't a media storm about Bandai lying, I'm content to assume that they're telling the truth and that BAI is losing money.

That and the fact that I've had it confirmed internaly.

-t
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

The fact that Bandai is blaming poor performance in America is untrue and biased. It seems everytime that their profits gone down I've read the news stories here at ANN and they've all read the same, that Bandai blames the profit loss of their company due to Bandai America.

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4325
Admittedly the "down" wasn't as severe and they were forcasting better results by year end, but nowhere in that article did Bandai seem to be "blaming" Bandai America for lower numbers. I would say if Bandai America underperformed according to Bandai, then they probably did (based on the linked article I'd say Bandai USA needs to improve their TOY lines to up revenues, does Bandai USA have any good "current" toy lines?). That said, if the number of about a year and a half ago are even CLOSE to current figures, then Bandai USA could only have played so much of a role in a drop of over 20%, since according to this article "Overseas revenues" represent about 20% of Bandai's TOTAL (and Bandai USA is only a PART of that "overseas revenues").
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
I for one remember when I bought my little brother a toy from bandai, the toys looked cheap, felt cheap and colors weren't all there; not to mention the movements each toy can do aswell as placing stickers on the power Rangers zords. I never liked Bandai toys when I was little, my bro doesn't like them and bandai'd quality is nothing compared to Hasbro's.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
oh well... when was the last time Bandai made a good game anyway?
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
oh well... when was the last time Bandai made a good game anyway?

True Dat! True Dat!
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
I for one remember when I bought my little brother a toy from bandai, the toys looked cheap, felt cheap and colors weren't all there; not to mention the movements each toy can do aswell as placing stickers on the power Rangers zords. I never liked Bandai toys when I was little, my bro doesn't like them and bandai'd quality is nothing compared to Hasbro's.

BAI "dumbsdown" it's toys that they bring over directly from japan. Japanese Gundam figures are the same as ours, but feature more paint and more extra parts (hands, guns, etc.) and their Power Rangers Zords lack the additional paint details and diecast parts of their Japanese counterparts. Problem is Japanese toys are expensive! not just because of the way their economy works, but because of what their toys are made up. A $40 American Zord would cost $60-$70 if it was made the same way as the Japanese versions and they never would have cought on with parents at that price.

However, Hasbro isn't any better, their toys are much more cheaply made when compared to a Japanese version. Here's a couple examples: Transformers G1 reissues were heavily altered to become child safe (fireing mechanisims removed from some missles, other missles made longer and thicker, "dangerous" parts shortened, the original US 80's release didn't have these changes either), yet still sold at roughly the same price as the Japanese versions, but had relativly poor sales as most collectors were much happier importing from Takara. Transformers Energon had less paint detail and cheaper plastic, but also cost roughly $5 to $25 less depending on the size. Transformers Alternators have some of the biggest changes with all diecast removed, cheaper plastic, and colored plastic rather than painted and polished plastic, but also costing roughtly $25 less. But again, parents aren't willing to pay more for a superior toy product, especially when it'll likely just get broken or abandoned by their children and children are still the number one consumer of toys no matter how big the collectors seem to get.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoden

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Actually, showing shows on TV first before releasing DVDs actually *increases* sales. There's a lot of people who don't download fansubs, aren't hardcore fans that keep up to date on new anime, etc, that will watch a show on TV and then decide to buy the DVDs. If they hadn't shown the show on TV first, sales of Gundam Seed would probably be even lower.

And you know what, "evil" fansubs ARE a huge cause of poor sales. If you think that showing something on TV will cause bad sales, fansubs are even worse. Especially since there's a lot of unscrupulous people who would rather keep the fansubs than buy the DVDs for a long series. Most of the people who watch Gundam Seed are teens and college-aged people who do the classic, "Oh, I'll buy this series when I have more money; for now, I'll just hang on to my fansubs" bit.

If anything is causing a downturn in profits, it's licensing shows that typically have next to no market in the US. Stuff like Overman King Gainer, Kaze no Yojimbo... they're good shows, but people don't typically buy them because either no one knows about them, or there's other, better shows out there people would rather spend their money on. Oversaturation is really doing a number on the market.

ok first of all, Gundam Seed is a HORRIBLE example of what Bandai has to offer....any old school Gundam fan will tell you that....second of all, though fan subs may hurt dvd sales, maybe more marketing would increase them, i don't see many anime commercials and you don't so see many of the really good series on tv at all (tries to do the probability of Basilisk or an uncut Samurai Champloo makin it to tv)....so who wants to take a gamble and waste money if the series turns out to be crap *cough.....Dot.Hack....cough* (Dot.Hack isn't even worth downloading... *shudders*)...really though the decision lies within the individual, and personally if u waste the disk space to d/l something why would you turn around and buy it.....i would have to say i have bought several series and i'm very proud of it, but that was because i just knew that i had to have them...so collectors and fan-boys/girls will d/l it first to say they've seen it then be the first in the store w/ their pre-order receipt to say they own it with all the b.s. bells and whistles that the company adds on....many series are way too over priced also....who the hell wants to pay 199.99 for Hellsing.....it was a good series but thats WAY TOO MUCH for only 13 episodes, its all about value and lets face it, the American economy is too concerned w/ getting in consumers pockets than w/ reaching their loyal fanbase.....in japan dvds are no where NEAR as high...so its just based on one's own moral in my opinion....
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
megumi's guy wrote:
They'll probably blame on "evil" fansub like they did at their AWA panel last year. They used that excuse for the low sales of the "Gundam Seed" DVD.

And we all know that fansubs just couldn't possibly be at least partially to blame, huh?
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
WHy is it that Bandai Entertainment can't take responsibility for their own drop in profits? Everytime they announce losses they always blame the loss on Bandai Entertainment in the US. Why don't they take the blame themselves instead of making excuses?

Do you have access to internal information that we don't? If you have data that proves your argument, bring it forward.

It's not as though Bandai is trying to place the blame on "the evil Americans". It wouldn't make them look any worse or better for it. They're all one company, after all.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Miaka chan wrote:
I might feel sorry for them if they were losing money but it's only profits that are down, meaning they are still making plenty of money!!

I agree with your sentiment, but unfortunately that's not how things work in the corporate world.

You'd think that so long as the numbers end up with a positive number at the end of the day that things would be happy. I know that so long as my bills end with a positive number, I'm happy. iUnfortunately, investors of publically traded companies don't see it that way. Investors typically expect a company to improve profits by 10% or more from the previous year. If profits go down from the previous year, investors are displeased because that means the share price won't rise as quickly. Some might even sell stock in favor of more profitable companies, causing share price to fluctuate. If profits go in the red, their stock is punished.

This is why I hate publically traded companies. They don't answer to the customers, they answer to shareholders who only care about how much money the company is making.

My sentiments on Bandai Entertiainment USA are mixed though. They're a wholely owned subsidiary of a publically traded company. That means they don't answer to shareholders, but they answer to someone who does. Dunno how that affects things. On the bright side, Bandai does try to listen to the customer, which is unheard of with a publically traded company. Be thankful, and enjoy it while it lasts.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
kakoden wrote:

ok first of all, Gundam Seed is a HORRIBLE example of what Bandai has to offer

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but you'll find many who disagree with you, including myself. I initially refused to watch it because I'm burned out on mecha shows, but eventually I relented and I an throughly enjoying it.

Quote:

maybe more marketing would increase them, i don't see many anime commercials and you don't so see many of the really good series on tv at all (tries to do the probability of Basilisk or an uncut Samurai Champloo makin it to tv)

Advertising on TV might help, but that's extremely expensive. Let me reiterate that: TV ADVERTISING IS INSANELY EXPENSIVE. I fully understand why they aren't doing TV advertising on shows. It's an expensive gamble.

However, showing a show on TV is advertising in and of itself. Unfortunately, a lot of shows are simply unfit for US television. Shows like Samurai Champloo uncut would not sit well with parents who think animation = kids stuff. Soccer moms would have a fit. That's why what anime you do see on TV usually gets the knife job.

Quote:

....so who wants to take a gamble and waste money if the series turns out to be crap *cough.....Dot.Hack....cough* (Dot.Hack isn't even worth downloading... *shudders*)

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd strongly disagree with you here as well. And again, this is a series I had resisted strongly because of how heavily it was marketed. Marketing has an opposite effect with me. The more something is marketed, the more I avoid it. When the .Hack boxed set came out long after the marketing had settled, I bought it on a whim, and I absolutely loved it. People have different tastes, so speak for yourself.

Quote:

...really though the decision lies within the individual, and personally if u waste the disk space to d/l something why would you turn around and buy it.....i would have to say i have bought several series and i'm very proud of it, but that was because i just knew that i had to have them...so collectors and fan-boys/girls will d/l it first to say they've seen it then be the first in the store w/ their pre-order receipt to say they own it with all the b.s. bells and whistles that the company adds on

I can't say I see what you're getting at, but yeah some fansub viewers are collectors who want to own a series for themselves if they really enjoy it.

However, there's also a lot of shows which get the "Good enough to download, but not good enough to buy" ranking. That, my friend, is what's causing losses. If it was enjoyable enough to watch through to the last episode, it's good enough to buy.

Quote:

....many series are way too over priced also....who the hell wants to pay 199.99 for Hellsing.....it was a good series but thats WAY TOO MUCH for only 13 episodes

Yes, I fully agree with you on that. As I recall though, Hellsing is a Geneon release, and Geneon is notoriously expensive.

So... I bought a legit box set used for around $68.

If you're unhappy with a price for a show, then don't pay it. Wait a couple months and then buy it used. I'm well known for having never paid more than MSRP -43.2% for any DVD. With the amount of DVDs I have in my collection, that adds up. (My collection is around $12,000 worth, last I checked).

Quote:

the American economy is too concerned w/ getting in consumers pockets than w/ reaching their loyal fanbase.....in japan dvds are no where NEAR as high...so its just based on one's own moral in my opinion....

Sorry, but in Japan DVDs are MUCH higher. That same Hellsing set you mentioned would go for 28000 yen (aprox. $265) spanned over 5 discs, and that's one of the cheaper examples. I know of some shows which are 4500 yen for ONE episode. I challenge you to find *any* series which is cheaper in Japan than it is in the US.

Granted, you are correct in that the American economy in general is primarily concerned with getting into consumer's pockets than reaching out ot the fanbase. This is very true with the RIAA and MPAA, however the Anime industry isn't quite that bad off at the moment. Bandai is one of the better companies, and so is Geneon (with the exception of their astronomical prices), as well as ADV. We in anime fandom are fortunate that most of the companies actually do pay attention to their fans.

In my opinion, the only reason why people are starting to get pissy against the anime companies is because they're starting to take a stance against fansubs.
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't say I see what you're getting at, but yeah some fansub viewers are collectors who want to own a series for themselves if they really enjoy it.

However, there's also a lot of shows which get the "Good enough to download, but not good enough to buy" ranking. That, my friend, is what's causing losses. If it was enjoyable enough to watch through to the last episode, it's good enough to buy

I'm not sure I can agree with you there. I've lent anime to friends who've wanted to see the series without buying it. That really isn't much different than using fansubs as a preview tool.

Now that doesn't mean that I agree with wholesale downloading of every cool series out there, or in your example every sort of cool series out there. But I would modify your statement by saying "If it's good enough to watch again, then it's good enough to buy."
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:
But I would modify your statement by saying "If it's good enough to watch again, then it's good enough to buy."

How about this: "If it's good enough to archive on your hard drive after finishing it, it's good enough to buy." Anime smile
kakoden

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
kakoden wrote:

ok first of all, Gundam Seed is a HORRIBLE example of what Bandai has to offer

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but you'll find many who disagree with you, including myself. I initially refused to watch it because I'm burned out on mecha shows, but eventually I relented and I an throughly enjoying it.

Quote:

maybe more marketing would increase them, i don't see many anime commercials and you don't so see many of the really good series on tv at all (tries to do the probability of Basilisk or an uncut Samurai Champloo makin it to tv)

Advertising on TV might help, but that's extremely expensive. Let me reiterate that: TV ADVERTISING IS INSANELY EXPENSIVE. I fully understand why they aren't doing TV advertising on shows. It's an expensive gamble.

However, showing a show on TV is advertising in and of itself. Unfortunately, a lot of shows are simply unfit for US television. Shows like Samurai Champloo uncut would not sit well with parents who think animation = kids stuff. Soccer moms would have a fit. That's why what anime you do see on TV usually gets the knife job.

Quote:

....so who wants to take a gamble and waste money if the series turns out to be crap *cough.....Dot.Hack....cough* (Dot.Hack isn't even worth downloading... *shudders*)

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd strongly disagree with you here as well. And again, this is a series I had resisted strongly because of how heavily it was marketed. Marketing has an opposite effect with me. The more something is marketed, the more I avoid it. When the .Hack boxed set came out long after the marketing had settled, I bought it on a whim, and I absolutely loved it. People have different tastes, so speak for yourself.

Quote:

...really though the decision lies within the individual, and personally if u waste the disk space to d/l something why would you turn around and buy it.....i would have to say i have bought several series and i'm very proud of it, but that was because i just knew that i had to have them...so collectors and fan-boys/girls will d/l it first to say they've seen it then be the first in the store w/ their pre-order receipt to say they own it with all the b.s. bells and whistles that the company adds on

However, there's also a lot of shows which get the "Good enough to download, but not good enough to buy" ranking. That, my friend, is what's causing losses. If it was enjoyable enough to watch through to the last episode, it's good enough to buy.

Quote:

....many series are way too over priced also....who the hell wants to pay 199.99 for Hellsing.....it was a good series but thats WAY TOO MUCH for only 13 episodes

Yes, I fully agree with you on that. As I recall though, Hellsing is a Geneon release, and Geneon is notoriously expensive.

So... I bought a legit box set used for around $68.

If you're unhappy with a price for a show, then don't pay it. Wait a couple months and then buy it used. I'm well known for having never paid more than MSRP -43.2% for any DVD. With the amount of DVDs I have in my collection, that adds up. (My collection is around $12,000 worth, last I checked).

Quote:

the American economy is too concerned w/ getting in consumers pockets than w/ reaching their loyal fanbase.....in japan dvds are no where NEAR as high...so its just based on one's own moral in my opinion....

Sorry, but in Japan DVDs are MUCH higher. That same Hellsing set you mentioned would go for 28000 yen (aprox. $265) spanned over 5 discs, and that's one of the cheaper examples. I know of some shows which are 4500 yen for ONE episode. I challenge you to find *any* series which is cheaper in Japan than it is in the US.

Granted, you are correct in that the American economy in general is primarily concerned with getting into consumer's pockets than reaching out ot the fanbase. This is very true with the RIAA and MPAA, however the Anime industry isn't quite that bad off at the moment. Bandai is one of the better companies, and so is Geneon (with the exception of their astronomical prices), as well as ADV. We in anime fandom are fortunate that most of the companies actually do pay attention to their fans.

In my opinion, the only reason why people are starting to get pissy against the anime companies is because they're starting to take a stance against fansubs.

<<<respects your opinion....though maybe i was referring to those Hong Kong DVDs...lmao.....$24 for 26 eps of Outlaw Star August 04...can't beat that lmao
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
kakoden wrote:
<<<respects your opinion....though maybe i was referring to those Hong Kong DVDs...lmao.....$24 for 26 eps of Outlaw Star August 04...can't beat that lmao

Every HK you buy supports an industry profiting off someone else's work. Not only are you not supporting the creators of your favorite anime, but you're also slapping the creators in the face by rewarding the people who are stealing it.

Fansubs are one thing. They're put out at the expense of fans who expect nothing in return. HKs are a way uglier can of worms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2