• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's New Character Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
kazziyan wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Huzzah! Completely un-original ATW!

Really, though, costumes that have practical use??? FFX-2 all over again.....

Time limit till the end of game/destruction?? LoZ: Majora's Mask and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter all over again.

Just like FFXIII-2, I'm not interested. But I'll be glad when they're done with it so they can finally move on. I'm sick of FF13... FF13 and FF8 are the only FF games I've not beaten... FF8 because of the characters; FF13 because of game-play. ... well and I didn't finish FFX-2 because I was sick of seeing the strip show.

Is there a problem reinnovating on a good design philosophy?

No, lots of games have time limits. Calm down there, buddy.

If you're not interested, don't post. Very Happy

Deal about varying opinions and forums. I can write a post on how much I hate it and why I think it's not good just as much as you can post about how much you like it.

FFX-2 did not sale well. Why would you want to re-use something that did not sale well for a sequel of a great selling game on a 3rd game of a game trilogy that the 2nd game has already sold HALF (little less than that actually) of what the 1st did. Continuing the trend of less-purchases??

Since the release of FFX-2 sales have dropped for FF games. It's peak was FFVII at over 10 million (possibly more since the PC re-release of it).

2009 PS3, 360 Final Fantasy XIII 6.71 million worldwide
2011 PS3, 360 Final Fantasy XIII-2 2.55 million worldwide
(give or take a bit due to last year; probably not much more, though, thanks to used copies).

So, guess what I'm expecting??? I'm expecting no more than 2 million copies of FF13-3 to sale. Why? Well, sales trends don't change.

They've tried the FF action game thing before and it's proof that it sucked when...(lemme of get DC:FF7's figures right quick....)

1.2 million.. yup, FF action game. Sold crappily.... Was glitched as crap, too, in the original Japanese version. Sad thing: Vincent is a popular character and FF7 is the highest selling FF game and its "sequel" was crap...

FFX: 8.05
FFX-2: 5.2 btw.... FFx-2 was the start of the drop; FF13 picked up a bit, but...yeah, I've already posted those figures.

Sooo, losing sales from X to X-2 and crappy sales on an action FF game = action based sequel to FFXIII bad idea.

And game mechanics versus a game ploy is different. Every JRPG has a battle system. FF has the ATB and Tales series have the Linear-whatever-it-is-for-that-game system. Course...haha, FF13 won't have the ATB system; it's an ACTION game... At least FFX-2 had the ATB system.

SOOO just like FFXIII-2, I, personally, will not be buying it. (: But, as a Final Fantasy fan, I'm just as privy and just as able to have an opinion of a game as you. Smile

FFX-2 did actually sell pretty well for a sequel. You should check the worldwide sales. Why? because its known as one of the best battle systems by fans? Sales do not matter since its reception is quite well.

I don't understand why you've gotten into sales here. Sales =/= Quality. 5.2 million is bad? wow. No comparisons are needed, for a sequel that re-used so many assets, it was really successful. Same applies to XIII-2.

The reasons sales have dropped is because the audience has gotten older and turned away. It's a general and natural decline.

The game is not that action-based if you saw. And it features the ATB system once again, btw. Even if it was action-based, XIII's battle system has been extremely well received.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Those figures should be higher given the last official numbers they gave were 9.6 million in July 2012, and those only add up to 9.26, but still, like kazziyan said, given X-2 and XIII-2 were mostly reused material, you can't really judge those sales compared to the main entry sales. They're far cheaper to make. Given most original games don't even sell over 1 or 2 million those are not a bad numbers. I know a lot of companies who would kill to sell 'only' 3 million copies.

Still, using sales is a bit tricky. You say they dropped since X-2, well, the only non MMO FF between X-2 and XIII was XII, and XII was mostly disliked and sold fairly poorly. And by poorly I mean 5.7 million or so. And what about IX? That sold even worse and was the lowest selling main game. Yes, VII was the peak, but by default anything that isn't the peak is a decline. If anything games like X and XIII are helping revitilize the brand after the 'mediocre' entries like IX and XII respectively.
methaniel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I think it'd be more obvious if they wore a mask. Anytime you put a mask on someone it indicates you're trying to hide their identity, so the viewers starts guessing on who it could be because 'obviously they don't want us to know. It's how I called who that 'masked' person in Resident Evil 5 was as soon as they appeared, since there's no other reason to wear a mask unless you don't want the player/chareacters to know who it is. With this? Sure, it could be them, but putting a mask on her would just make it even more obvious.

Humuh, I must admit that indeed masks tend to give away the identity of a character quite fast (Ah, Gundam's masks...). After all, it's maybe my "old-school" vibe that like the fact that characters are somehow hidden (even if obvious) through the use of such device. But well, they are going for a new thing and in fact would it turn out to truly be an original character, I would even be more surprised. For example, by stretching it a little bit, could it be spoiler[a younger lightning from another plane which is travelling like Sera's did in XIII-2 and so sometimes drops by this dimension?]. In case this supposition sounds too stupid, I haven't played XIII-2 as of yet (I shall do it some day when I have time)
(And also, to be annoyed at X-2 for being a strip-show makes it look like they never went past the 5h marks of this game...since the only "strip" that appear later are the change of job which are usually skipped...)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
If she is an entirely new character, I think I'll go with Lumina being spoiler[Serah and Snow's daughter from the future]. That sounds pretty likely as well. Otherwise, it might just be spoiler[Serah who gets resurrected from the dead and brainwashed by Chaos into being it's servant] Assuming they're an antagonist or something.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Another theory is that she is a creation and meant to resemble Serah because, spoiler[ this will keep Lightning on a leash and Bhunivelzei does not want her knowing somethings. hence the help/hindrance relationship]

Another was that she is like spoiler[Yeul where the chaos becomes sentient and takes the form of Chaos-Yeul. Similar things happen with Serah since she is a serress]
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
BTW, I think FFXIII-2 made Square-Enix more money than XIII did in the long run because they didn't have to build that game from scratch despite selling much less. Very Happy

Anyway, I really want to know what happens in this final XIII game and maybe we may actually get XV soon.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
kazziyan wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Huzzah! Completely un-original ATW!

Really, though, costumes that have practical use??? FFX-2 all over again.....

Time limit till the end of game/destruction?? LoZ: Majora's Mask and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter all over again.

Just like FFXIII-2, I'm not interested. But I'll be glad when they're done with it so they can finally move on. I'm sick of FF13... FF13 and FF8 are the only FF games I've not beaten... FF8 because of the characters; FF13 because of game-play. ... well and I didn't finish FFX-2 because I was sick of seeing the strip show.

Is there a problem reinnovating on a good design philosophy?

No, lots of games have time limits. Calm down there, buddy.

If you're not interested, don't post. Very Happy

Deal about varying opinions and forums. I can write a post on how much I hate it and why I think it's not good just as much as you can post about how much you like it.

FFX-2 did not sale well. Why would you want to re-use something that did not sale well for a sequel of a great selling game on a 3rd game of a game trilogy that the 2nd game has already sold HALF (little less than that actually) of what the 1st did. Continuing the trend of less-purchases??

Since the release of FFX-2 sales have dropped for FF games. It's peak was FFVII at over 10 million (possibly more since the PC re-release of it).

2009 PS3, 360 Final Fantasy XIII 6.71 million worldwide
2011 PS3, 360 Final Fantasy XIII-2 2.55 million worldwide
(give or take a bit due to last year; probably not much more, though, thanks to used copies).

So, guess what I'm expecting??? I'm expecting no more than 2 million copies of FF13-3 to sale. Why? Well, sales trends don't change.

They've tried the FF action game thing before and it's proof that it sucked when...(lemme of get DC:FF7's figures right quick....)

1.2 million.. yup, FF action game. Sold crappily.... Was glitched as crap, too, in the original Japanese version. Sad thing: Vincent is a popular character and FF7 is the highest selling FF game and its "sequel" was crap...

FFX: 8.05
FFX-2: 5.2 btw.... FFx-2 was the start of the drop; FF13 picked up a bit, but...yeah, I've already posted those figures.

Sooo, losing sales from X to X-2 and crappy sales on an action FF game = action based sequel to FFXIII bad idea.

And game mechanics versus a game ploy is different. Every JRPG has a battle system. FF has the ATB and Tales series have the Linear-whatever-it-is-for-that-game system. Course...haha, FF13 won't have the ATB system; it's an ACTION game... At least FFX-2 had the ATB system.

SOOO just like FFXIII-2, I, personally, will not be buying it. (: But, as a Final Fantasy fan, I'm just as privy and just as able to have an opinion of a game as you. Smile

FFX-2 did actually sell pretty well for a sequel. You should check the worldwide sales. Why? because its known as one of the best battle systems by fans? Sales do not matter since its reception is quite well.

I don't understand why you've gotten into sales here. Sales =/= Quality. 5.2 million is bad? wow. No comparisons are needed, for a sequel that re-used so many assets, it was really successful. Same applies to XIII-2.

The reasons sales have dropped is because the audience has gotten older and turned away. It's a general and natural decline.

The game is not that action-based if you saw. And it features the ATB system once again, btw. Even if it was action-based, XIII's battle system has been extremely well received.

Those ARE worldwide sales figures. Sales figures measure a success of a game as, depending on the sale of game measures the interest of the game. You were saying FFx-2 was a successful sequel and I pointed out "no" because it didn't sell compared to its few previous series releases.

It's been confirmed, as it was announced, "Lightning Returns" is an action-rpg. It is NOT a traditional RPG; they take a character people complain about (I really was indifferent about her), and something so totaly not FF and made a game.

And if FFX-2 had such a 'great system" why do most people BASH the game and say how horrible it is? Where ARE you getting your news?

FF fans are getting older. Well, duh, people age. That doesn't mean a thing, though. My brother is 35 and makes point of replaying FF7 every year.

I've played ALL the FF games, and if you didn't know this: FF11, 12, 13, 13-2, and this game were not created/designed by the original designer of many of the other FF games. That's just an FYI.

I'm more of a Tales series fanatic and if that "gamers get older" logic were to be true I would have stopped playing Tales games a long time ago. Instead, I have multiple copies of the same game due to English/Japanese release and being unsure of localization. They haven't changed a bit; my love for them hasn't changed a bit. When there is a series you expect similar premises, story cliches, and the like. When a game series turns away from that, it is then when fans fall from it; as I said, and why I used sales figures, was that the sales DECLINED with FFX-2 and has never truly recovered. They changed something; they altered a mechanic and it dropped their sales.
....Same thing happened to Breath of Fire series. They CHANGED the mechanic and fans (of the series) did not like it. Some loved it; keepers of the series' didn't.

Saying a game is "successful" is different than saying "profitable". I know they made money off of X-2 and XIII-2 because they were lazy and decided to re-use stuff they had. They didn't care if they literally gave their fans the finger or not when they starting changing characters and making people look and act like total sluts (x-2's strip show).
...for x-2 and xiii-3 to be considered "Successful" it should have matched or neared the sale of its predecessor. THAT is my point. They made money, but imagine if they would have truly made it great and sold just as many copies as the first in the series. They didn't.

....To say the least. You know how I gauge popularity of a game and thus its success? Ebay used prices. You can get X-2 for $10. While the "unsuccessful" (since I read how much people don't like it for some reason) FF9 is $25; FFX is $20; on the other hand: FFVII (though available on PSN for $10 and however much the PC version sells for) ps copies still sell for $30-50.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
How exactly were the girls in X-2 'sluts'? Outside doujinshi, I don't remember them going around having sex with random dudes. In fact, from what I remember, Yuna's whole quest in that game was traveling the world to find a way to bring back the single guy she loves.

And who complained about Lightning? She's easily the breakaway character from the game and one of the most popular Final Fantasy girls.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why so many people are quick to claim that Lumina is Serah - sure, they both have pink hair, but if you look at the pictures (admittedly it's not the best scan), especially the lower one, the facial structure is all wrong for Serah. Lumina has a fuller face. I'm not going to say she *isn't* Serah, and I'm sure she's *connected* to Serah somehow, but I think it's way too soon to jump to conclusions, lol. Let's at least wait until she shows up in a trailer?

I will add, though, that I like the theory of her being Serah and Snow's daughter from some timeline. I am very much a Snow/Serah fan, and XIII-2 left me depressed in terms of their relationship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2