• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Webcomics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
No BL webcomics on that list at all.

The ones I follow actively (though there are many more):

Always Raining Here (only bumped this one on the survey)
Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal
Prince of Cats
Starfighter
Teahouse
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I've only been reading web comics regularly for about 3 years now, but out of the list, only Anime News Nina is on it. The one I read the most is nemu*nemu, which unfortunately isn't on the list.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of the webcomics I read regularly were on there. There were one or two more obscure wow ones that were left off, but I was surprised Dark Legacy Comics made it.

If I had to pick one webcomic to give a shoutout to that wasn't on the list, I'd pick Flipside. Great story and art, plus it updates 3 days a week.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
LunarBluestone wrote:
The one I read the most is nemu*nemu, which unfortunately isn't on the list.

Did you add it to the list? Because you can do that, you know.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't really read web-comics, i've seen some cute fan-comics on DA every now & then, but i'm old fashioned I stick to print comics & manga.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I went ahead and added Johnny Wander for "other," because it and Happle Tea are the only ones I read that aren't listed (and JW is my favourite).

I enjoy comics that tell a long story, but I don't have the patience to stop by and read a page or two at a time. I'd be interested in learning more about various webcomics with collected print editions (dunno what kind of potential webcomic coverage ANN is considering, but that's where my interest is). I checked out Cucumber Quest after the posts here and it's pretty fun! Now the first book is on my mental "maybe I'll order that sometime" list :)
ZoboCamel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Where's the option to add other webcomics? I don't see it anywhere, and I've looked pretty hard. Bug, El Goonish Shive and For Lack of a Better Comic are some of my regular reads, and none of them can be chosen as my favourite.

On top of that, why are some things grouped together? It seems a little pointless to have six or so webcomics grouped together in some parts.

I think I'll refrain from voting in this one until it's working properly - and I hope it is at some point, since I do quite enjoy my webcomics. Smile
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Well, I used to read out MT back then just for kicks and other webcomics, but its rarely now only when I get the chance to.

But maybe after reading this survey, I'll possibly go back on them often...
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
LunarBluestone wrote:
The one I read the most is nemu*nemu, which unfortunately isn't on the list.

Did you add it to the list? Because you can do that, you know.

Cool! I'll go and add it to the list. Thanks for the info Very Happy
Greggo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
(edited)

Glad MS Paint Adventures wasn't on top, surprising as that may seem.

Last edited by Greggo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Skullface

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
The only webcomics I read are Homestuck and Ava's Demon which I love reading both. Ava's Demon has a really interesting plot and the art is amazing (Its pretty new and not many people have heard of it).

I have a few others on my list to read but I'm too busy to read them at the moment.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
I do read web comics, but not as much as I did when I was a teenager. I am shocked that the one web comic I've been reading for years was on that list though.

I've been reading web comics for about 11+ years now and I think my first web comic was RPG world. In a sense, it's sad that despite the fact the series was close the end the author decided to quit the series, but I understand why.

But I tend to read the web comics that aren't main stream though. I occasionally do read Anime News Nina though. Have been off and on since 2008.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem with Anime News Nina is that it isn't updated frequently enough. Three times a month is barely enough to make me remember it exists; more often than not I'm surprised when it comes up on the front page. xkcd is three times a week, while some webcomics are done daily. It's hard to make Anime News Nina a part of my schedule when it is so infrequent.

I get that Robin has a life outside Anime News Nina and is not doing it as her sole income like the artists behind many well-known webcomics do. And I doubt that ANN could realistically have her on full-time, so I don't expect an increase in frequency.

But you know what I really want? Merchandise. Seriously people, I bought xkcd posters and shipped them all the way to New Zealand, I would do the same for Anime News Nina as well. I'd even buy T-shirts, like a replica or what Kevin wears, or something with Nina's mug on the front. Don't laugh, I'm being serious here.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
I followed Anime News Nina for a bit but I don't think I've read it in at least a year, probably longer. It was fun but nothing ever really grabbed me about it. Maybe I will look at it again the next time it updates, to see if that has changed.

As for what I do follow, that would be xkcd and Multiplex (which yes, I did add under the other option, though I was a bit sad it wasn't already there since I know it had a decent-sized readership).
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
It looks like "other" only shows up if you are signed in. And it seems to be being added in without any human intervention, which leads to long lists of multiple comics being entered as single menu items. I hadn't figured that out at first, so selected one of those long lists when I read only one of the comics in the list. If I had known, I would have been signed in and written that comic in as an "other". (I read El Goonish Shive, but not any of the others on the list that included it.) But it would just skew the statistics if I refilled out the survey, wouldn't it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3