• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online's English Dub Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Can someone PLEASE tell me why Christine "My Tiny Shrill Voice Has No Force, Punch Or Life To It Whatsoever" Cabanos gets so many important roles again?!?! Mad

In other words, typical Aniplex dub: Skimp on the voice work, but overcharge on everything else. Confused

I am guessing Cabanos voices important roles because Bang/Zoom does not want to pay more money to a better voice actress.

And thanks for the scoop SpacemanHardy. I had no idea Aniplex was also in the business of English dubbing. Good for them.
walw6pK4Alo

terminus24 wrote:
Well, can't watch the video. Kinda want to hear the casting, just to see if it breaks the trend of mediocre casting in mediocre shonen shows. Whatever the case, there's a 99.99% chance that the Aniplex release won't be worth it, since they don't seem to know that only great shows are worth Aniplex's normal price points, and SAO is really too generic shonen for them, it more Funimation/Viz's area, IMO.

Anyways, waiting for a price for the DVDs/BDs, so I can either laugh at the absurd pricing or be incredibly shocked that AoA is releasing things at standard American prices (like that'll happen).

The subjective qualities don't matter as much as what it sold in Japan, and what Aniplex knows of the size of the Western fanbase.
chrisc1978

Is everyone trying to watch it? so much lag!
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Took me thirty freakin' minutes for the damn thing to load, but I finally was able to watch it.

Consensus? It's "meh" at best. Bryce Papenbrook is as over-acting as ever, and the narrator sounds like he's bored. Cherami sounds decent, but there's so few lines in her from the trailer that it's impossible to judge.

From the single line that Klein uttered, he's either voiced by Kirk Thornton or Keith Silverstein, so either way he should be fun to listen to.

The rest of the actors they announced didn't have any lines, but considering they're all of Bang/Zoom's "new crowd", I don't have very high hopes. Can someone PLEASE tell me why Christine "My Tiny Shrill Voice Has No Force, Punch Or Life To It Whatsoever" Cabanos gets so many important roles again?!?! Mad

In other words, typical Aniplex dub: Skimp on the voice work, but overcharge on everything else. Confused

As a No. 1 fan of Christine Marie Cabanos I take offense on that post son.

Better lock yo doors, hide yo anime dvd's and call yo mammies because this m'fer is gunna bust yo nut and cap in yo ass.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have Cassandra Lee as Asuna.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:

Better lock yo doors, hide yo anime dvd's and call yo mammies because this m'fer is gunna bust yo nut and cap in yo ass.

Hey, not my fault you're a fan of a bad actress. Razz

Could be worse, though. You could be a Darrel Guilbeau fanboy.

In which case, I'd be the one hunting YOU down to put a cap in yo ass. Twisted Evil
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
for a trailer, it sounded alright. there's never really much to go on with these things, so im going to wait until we actually see a few entire episodes before making a final decisive judgement. didn't Kirito's Japanese VA overact that dying in the game line as well?
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

Hey, not my fault you're a fan of a bad actress. Razz

Could be worse, though. You could be a Darrel Guilbeau fanboy.

In which case, I'd be the one hunting YOU down to put a cap in yo ass. Twisted Evil

hunters will be the hunted mane, it feels good to two average VA to have a buckload wide range talent and a good resume.

Better sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite mane.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
for a trailer, it sounded alright. there's never really much to go on with these things, so im going to wait until we actually see a few entire episodes before making a final decisive judgement. didn't Kirito's Japanese VA overact that dying in the game line as well?

I think so, overall it's well for the trailer part now first episode has been shown Sakura-con and willing to expect to be good unless any circumstances it shouldn't sub-par as usual.
HybridMedia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm one of the people that exactly applaud Bang Zoom for getting some new voice actors as opposed to using the same too-recognizable actors in their basic roles. Plus, I might watch the show again once in dub format considering I wasn't a fan of the series.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Can someone PLEASE tell me why Christine "My Tiny Shrill Voice Has No Force, Punch Or Life To It Whatsoever" Cabanos gets so many important roles again?!?! Mad

silica's got like 2 episodes, you will live
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
A piece of s*** like Sword Art Online gets the dub and LE treatment while actually good shows from last year like Kuroko's Basketball and Natsuiro Kiseki haven't so much as a license.

Sigh. I just really hope this doesn't make it to Adult Swim or something.

Oh, uh...dub sounds okay, I guess. Cherami Leigh as Asuna does come off as an odd choice.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
A piece of s*** like Sword Art Online gets the dub and LE treatment while actually good shows from last year like Kuroko's Basketball and Natsuiro Kiseki haven't so much as a license.

Sigh. I just really hope this doesn't make it to Adult Swim or something.

Oh, uh...dub sounds okay, I guess. Cherami Leigh as Asuna does come off as an odd choice.

Would be nice if anime companies only released what I liked too. I'd be flat broke though.
YTKGemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It's not too bad I guess...on the up side, at least they kept all the music
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to see the dub premiere at Sakuracon, but it was capped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4