• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Winter and Spring Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'll only get Golgo if Viz doesn't edit it. I'll accept name changes which are incorporated to avoid infringement, but any nudity which gets effed with is an excuse for me to avoid the manga. It's an adult manga for adults, and it will not have any chance of making money being dumbed down for tweens. I hope people at Viz are reading this thread, because I expect a Lupin or Lone Wolf and Cub type of integrity, not some bastardization reminiscent of Tenjho Tenge and I"s. As for the rest of the manga titles, well I don't care that much, but for the fans of those, good luck getting them undamaged.

Wyvern:
Quote:
Waaaaaaaay back when the old Golgo 13 NES game came out, it included an offer for a "free Golgo 13 comic book!" So I sent away for it and got a comic about two months later.What was funny was, it was REALLY violent for something that was being marketed to NES players

Not to mention the game itself. ^_- I had the same thoughts regarding Fist of the North Star.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Gosh dman. When it rains it pours. Plus the trouble with manga is that these series go on and on and on for volumes, dozens even. I know D Gray Man is in Shonen Jump. Lord knows how long that will go on for. Crap I can't keep up with all these series.

Anyway, Golgo, D Gray Man, D Gray man look like definate gets. Maybe Black Cat and that Claymore looks cool.

My roomate downloaded and read all the Shonen Jump titles in the Jump Superstars fighting game. G Grey Man and Bosurenken (sp?) sounded really cool to me. Of course my manga fan tranlation reading speeed is much behind him. I'm still only on the Viz volumes of One Piece.

-Xenos
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Not to mention the game itself. ^_- I had the same thoughts regarding Fist of the North Star.

No kidding. After all that fuss about the Hot Coffee mod in GTA: SA, it's kind of funny to think that Golgo had you doing pretty much the same thing in 1988 (although Golgo was far less explicit, it did carry the message that sleeping with random hot women restores your HP. ^^;; )
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Read or Die and Aishiteruze Baby. I can't wait.

And it looks like Viz isn't going to use some stupid translation of "Aishiteru" either. Sweet.

Maybe there is hope for the anime getting licensed after all...

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
renkinjutsushi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
G Grey Man and Bosurenken (sp?) sounded really cool to me.

-Xenos

Yay D.Gray-man. *is excited*

I would love to see Busou Renkin licensed. My Japanese reading comprehension is about nil, and I love Nobuhiro Watsuki's works. *stares at her tankobonss longingly*

I keep hoping since Fullmetal Alchemist is so popular someone will notice that little alchemy-related manga. Very Happy *knows it's not likely*
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Yay, God Child. Been waiting over 4 years for this. *waves little God Child flags*
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
This is a really good bunch. Black Cat is something that needs to be a Jump Graphic novel. If it goes at 9.99 USD, I'll have to import. I've seen a lot of D.Gray-man around, and I'm curious as to what it is. But, I don't know if it'll be my kind of story. As for the title I'm most interested about, Read or Die...I was seriously thinking that maybe the manga was horrible, but the anime were really good. I didn't get why the manga never got liscenced...till now.

renkinjutsushi wrote:
I would love to see Busou Renkin licensed. My Japanese reading comprehension is about nil, and I love Nobuhiro Watsuki's works. *stares at her tankobonss longingly*
I keep hoping since Fullmetal Alchemist is so popular someone will notice that little alchemy-related manga. Very Happy *knows it's not likely*
The Fullmetal Alchemist manga has been liscenced for quite some time now, and has been very popular. I don't think Busou Renkin has a lot of chance of being liscenced, because I heard the manga got pulled from Weekly Jump. But...I still want to read it. And Nobuhiro Watsuki...y'mean, his works? Wink
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'll only get Golgo if Viz doesn't edit it.

I'm pretty sure the original release of Viz's english Golgo 13 was unedited with the exception of the title being expanded to "The Professional: Golgo 13" and of course, as with all manga back then, it read left to right.

I don't expect Golgo 13 to be torn to shreds like Tenjou Tenge though, usually when Viz gets a title intented for adults, it stays that way. They did afterall have that Pulp brand line of manga way back in the day just chock full of juicy stuff Razz

Made Shonen Jump look like Barney.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Damn glad to hear Viz are pullling Golgo 13 from their classic vaults again. Us adults need a dose of some classic manga when everyone wants to release all the latest new manga, thanks a lot Viz.

Now all we need is a sweet Golgo 13 big screen flick, are you listening New Line? Move over Leon.

Aishiteruze Baby is also a good choice for a light hearted manga, I thought the anime series was good and to be honest was it not for the fansubs I might well have passed it by. I'll look forward to buying the manga too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Heishirou Tennou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Read or Die! Woohoo! Does anyone know is ithe manga similar to the anime or is it quite different?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Izlude:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the original release of Viz's english Golgo 13 was unedited with the exception of the title being expanded to "The Professional: Golgo 13" and of course, as with all manga back then, it read left to right.

Carl was saying on the AOD boards that they took out references to John Hinckley.

Quote:
I don't expect Golgo 13 to be torn to shreds like Tenjou Tenge though, usually when Viz gets a title intented for adults, it stays that way.

Except for I"s, Ultimate Muscle and Descendants of Darkness...

Onizuka:
Quote:
Now all we need is a sweet Golgo 13 big screen flick, are you listening New Line? Move over Leon.

There're live action Golgo 13 flicks with Sonny Chiba and Ken Takakura, the former of which got a crappy R1 release. I asked Discotek to snag them, so hopefully they're interested. Also, Dezaki mentions on the Queen Bee commentary wanting to do another anime, so I'm hoping he gets his chance.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Heishirou Tennou wrote:
Read or Die! Woohoo! Does anyone know is ithe manga similar to the anime or is it quite different?

I'm pretty sure its different. I think it takes place before the OVA, but I could be wrong.

Here's hoping the Read or Dream and the R.O.D. novels get translated.
Kiriath

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll join in with the ROD! WOOT!

I'm pretty sure the Read or Die manga takes place before any of the anime series.
Fantomas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:42 am Reply with quote
Golgo 13 at last!!!!

First manga I ever bought. First anime I ever bought. This is fantastic news indeed. These tales of political intrigue are as good now as they were years ago, hopefully the public will buy them so I don't have to wait 10 years for more tales of my favorite assasin.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Read or Die YES.

Now just for the novels and Read or Dream.

I'm with you buddy. GO R.O.D!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2