• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Large or small, anime breasts.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
First of all, sexualization of fictional children isn't wrong in any way.

Secondly, I can like large boobs. Shirley/Charlette is one of my favorite Strike Witches. On the other hand, boobs can get too big.

Like Eiken. Eiken is wrong for many reasons, but the big boobs just make it more wrong, in the way that lighting someone on fire with sticky oil is more wrong that lighting someone on fire with a motolov cocktail.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
I agree with this 100%. Small and/or flat is fine so long as it's not a little girl. And many times, even if the character is supposed to be "older but just has the body of a young girl," they still have the maturity of a little girl which in my mind says they're still just little girls (IE: Vampire Bund and Ladies vs Butlers). It has always creeped me out. Even back before I ever knew what lollicon was, I remember watching Burst Angel and getting quite unnerved at certain shots they took of Amy Shocked .
Theres a considerable amount of blurriness between little girls and flat chested teens or adults in character designs. But I think specifically if a girl appears to be a child with very immature looking shape and personality it is creepy to view that girl in a perverted way. Unfortunately, it seems as though if anime is appealing to a multitude of fetishes, as the Rancorous also pointed out, sometimes that will include having a child character who is portrayed in a sexual manner: Just to appeal to the fans out there who not only like flat chests but characters with a very young appearance.

I guess guys who like mature women and big breasts are just going to have to put up with it, or watch a different show. Anime exists to entertain and the trend is showing that loli fetishization is increasingly popular. This is probably what prompted Japanese lawmakers to put restrictions on ecchi content with Bill 156. I'm more inclined to believe it was prompted to curb that trend I mentioned rather than to criminalize the appreciation breasts in general. I think culturally there is a big difference in what is considered sexy in Japan and the West, but what's popular in Japan kind of trumps it, being that anime's from Japan and made for Japan.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Han Solo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
First of all, sexualization of fictional children isn't wrong in any way.

Well it depends on the story (i.e she wants to look older or it's dealing with paedophilia) then I guess it isn't bad aslong as its done in a realistic, sensible way in a sense that the children aren't designed to be "fan service". Because in real life children have started to sexualise themselves (preteens) and if any show or anime is dealing with the matter and being a bit realistic with the issue then yeah it's fine.

But if they're sexualising children because they get a kick out of it and to try and please the audience who are attracted to that sort of thing then it is, frankly, quite distubring...fictional or not.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Let me repeat that again: fictional.

They're a bunch of lines on paper for god's sake, they don't look like real kids at all. I'm a lolicon and a shotacon and you don't see me attacking real life children. Being a lolicon =/= child molester.
Han Solo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Let me repeat that again: fictional.

They're a bunch of lines on paper for god's sake, they don't look like real kids at all. I'm a lolicon and a shotacon and you don't see me attacking real life children. Being a lolicon =/= child molester.

Never said you attack kids. I'm just saying theres something with lolicon, because god knows what's going through the artists mind, especially if they like that thing.

I can only wonder what the earlist artists (or first) of lolicon were thinking at the time while drafting down pictures of young children in such a manner before even thinking of publishing.

EDIT: of course you may just be attratced to women/girls who are petite and stuff hence why you like lolicon, but I don't know what is going through your head because I don't know you. I can't say the same thing about the artists because they make intended to design them as young kids.

Last edited by Han Solo on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak for that. But I don't condone the molestation of children in any way. If they were thinking that, then at the very least, at least they weren't raping real children.

But this is off-topic. If you really want to continue discussing this, then PM me.
Han Solo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

But this is off-topic. If you really want to continue discussing this, then PM me.

I thought one of the points made was regarding the depictions of young children in this way

Quote:
When considering small ones, people remarked about the pervy thoughts associated with the visualization of young girls in a sexual way.

...oh well.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I just felt that we might get into another really bad flame-war over lolicon. I remember reading a 50+ page thread that derailed into a lolicon flame war and was pretty much a giant internet fight with no redeeming values.

I do remember the words "better a few kids get raped..." in it, though. That should tell you how bad it got.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
It's hard for me to differentiate my tastes between girls in anime that I find attractive and girls in real life. The girls in anime that I think are attractive, I find attractive because those are the same traits I look for in real girls.

John Casey wrote:
>_>

Children. Quality > quantity. Size doesn't matter. Form matters. Smile

This is the truest statement in this thread. Fathers need to explain this to their sons.

I'm definitely more of a fan of the booty. And the same is true for booties and boobs. Bigger is not always better. You reach a point where instead of looking good, it just looks weird and out of proportion. I'm more attracted to a girl with B's than a girl with G's because gravity is a cruel thing. Now completely flat-chested is a different thing. I don't find it to be a deal breaker but it's not going to be put down in the Pro's section and will probably make it's way to the Con's section. Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke comes to mind. That show has I believe 0 girls who would be considered to have very large breasts. However I find Sawako to be completely adorable.

Never underestimate how attractive it is when boobs(and the bootay) are in good proportion to body size. Almost the entire female cast of Fairy Tail fits this pretty well. They all have big boobs but are drawn to they look proportional to body size.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Han Solo wrote:
But if they're sexualising children because they get a kick out of it and to try and please the audience who are attracted to that sort of thing then it is, frankly, quite distubring...fictional or not.

That's done in a lot of shows these days, even if you think it's not there. Heck, even Queen's Blade and Seikon no Qwaser had it, despite featuring a fairly old cast for the most part. I'm amazed you still watch anime regardless. But I don't get it, no matter where you look, anime is there to please the audience, intellectually or not. I really wonder what's up with this intellectual audience who believes that just because something is intellectual it's not fanservice. Snobs. Laughing
Han Solo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

I'm amazed you still watch anime regardless.

I'm a very very very picky person when it comes to anime. (And I've only just got back into anime properly, I have an off and on relationship) I try and go for the more adult/serious stuff.

egoist wrote:

I really wonder what's up with this intellectual audience who believes that just because something is intellectual it's not fanservice. Snobs.

Denial. Pure and simple.
(Plus did I make that impression? :S)
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Not you. Wink
It's an old beef of mine. Regardless of where you go you'll always find this kind of people looking down on different genres because it's not intellectual or mature enough for them. Turns out their favorites are usually quite boring.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
The whole purpose behind Queens Blade was to showcase character designs from a number of different artists well known for their sexy and large breasted character designs. The only characters from that lineup who appealed to me were the ones done by:
Akio Watanabe - best known for flat chested and young-looking characters with flashy and colorful clothing.
Kuuchuu Yosai - because I love his style and specialty with angelic or demonic looking girls.
Yuzo Hirata - who created that very tomboyish elfish looking girl who would look completely wrong with anything other than small breasts.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Huh. I just felt that we might get into another really bad flame-war over lolicon. I remember reading a 50+ page thread that derailed into a lolicon flame war and was pretty much a giant internet fight with no redeeming values.

I do remember the words "better a few kids get raped..." in it, though. That should tell you how bad it got.

Can you link that??
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I like boobs. Big ones. There. I said it. WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT!?

But seriously, I don't look at anime as anything more than entertainment. Flashing boobs on the screen isn't a measure of maturity, its a cheap grab of attention. Now of course, guys are predisposed to looking for obvious physical signs in women for attraction. Generally that involves bust and hips, but of course personal taste runs the gamut from DFC and ZZZ cups to other things like hair color, legs, butt what have you. So putting busty characters next to flat chested girls will appeal to the whole spectrum of personal preference in anime females.

Which is kind of the whole point of having characters like that. Its meant to attract the lonely geek into buying related materials to the show, which means more shows like that will be made, completing the cycle. Fans will make doujins, get skilled enough to get work in the field, and the cycle continues.

Now about this whole specter of loli, I'm sure thats a fetish, and if it can be monetized, it will be. As for the whole "Is it right?" undertones......thats a whole other can of worms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12