• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY TV Anime to Debut on October 17 with Satoshi/Ash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Colour me shocked.

And sad that I will never get my hypothetical David Production JoJo'esc Pokemon Adventures adaptation.

TitanXL wrote:

Oh hey, neat figgure, make?
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
Ehh. That design is pure booty meat imo, but personally I've enjoyed Best Wishes, especially Episode N

Hopefully this will be at least that good or a tad better
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
I kind of like Satoshi/Ash. He's like that slow kid you root for, hoping he gets the round peg in the round hole, even though you know he probably won't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
I'd like either a new protagonist or a new series entirely. Again, Ash still being 10 makes no bloody sense, even if you take out the filler episodes, there's no way everything that happened could still take place within a year.
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
Simpsons/etc doesn't age it's characters because it's not story based, for all the difference it would make each episode could be based in an alternate reality on the same day.

I don't watch Conan, but didn't someone say less than a year passed canonically, so that sorts that.

Also if this series follows the trend of Ash getting dumber, Ash should be a drooling vegetable in a wheelchair being pushed around by what is surely an undercover SNA.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Satoshi doesn't get dumber any season, just the dub writing.

I'm just amazed people are hung up over age. It's like no one has ever seen a show that lasted hundreds of episodes before.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
PLEASE INTRODUCE A NEW CHARACTER ALREADY. PLEASE. Pretty Rhythm Dear My Future did a great job introducing a new main character, and kept the nostalgia by bringing back the main heroine of the last season by having her as a mentor! I definitely think Pokemon could do this.

Pretty Rhythm Dear My Future is also a drop in the bucket compared to the huge franchise that is Pocket Monsters. They're not going to kill what works for them.

I'm just giving an example. Franchises like Precure have done the same by introducing a new team and world every single season. I'm not saying they should get rid of the world, and I'm not saying that this show is meant for us anymore. But I think the biggest peeve I have is that I think they should make a new hero for little kids to relate to. I think that Satoshi was a nostalgia icon (and a big part of the childhood) of 90's-early 2000's kids, but I think kids deserve a new hero that is THEIRS.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Do people watch Pokemon for Ash? It seems like the writers could have changed the main character multiple times now. Even in the Pokemon games the player character looks different.

Ash has been a tired character for a while. They regressed his experience as a trainer just to make him seem like a newbie when Black & White began. They could have just had a new character and let Ash move on.

Also it seems as though Ash may have caught on to the skinny jeans fad. Maybe the female protagonist will be wearing Ugg boots.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
As frustrating as it is to see Ash make the same mistakes over and over again (and yet wonder why Pikachu is able to defeat EVERYTHING), I appreciate that his end arc battles have been getting better as each generation passes. If Ash was still slumming around in the Top 32s or whatever during the championship rounds, I'd wonder what was wrong with this show. But the arc with Haruka ended with him making it into the Final Four, so he has *progressively* gotten better. And there have been some dynamite battles - The Charizard vs. Articuno one is one of my favorites, but I'm rather biased towards Ash's Charizard.

As for the 10 year old thing, I don't mind. The series isn't aimed towards me, and I follow it and watch the occasional episode more out of nostalgia (and cute/powerful Pokes) than anything else. Hopefully his female cohort won't be annoying. I couldn't stand Iris and was happy when she left.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Conan has been going on for 19 years and he's still a kid. Early episodes and chapters featured the kids playing with SNES/Super Famicoms and in the recent episodes you can see them playing with Wiis, even though canonly less than a year has passed since Shinichi being poisoned and shrinking into a kid.

More than that, they're even shown celebrating Christmas and various other holidays multiple times, and the seasons change too-- clearly years are passing but the characters are frozen in time! It's fun to joke about "given how much time has passed, shouldn't Conan have naturally grown back into Shinichi by now", but plainly it's not supposed to be an issue and we're just meant to accept it. That's just how things work in anime land.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
It's not a problem when the show doesn't define time such as a short series. The problem is when in the first series after Ash returned to Pallet Town it's clearly stated "Wow I've been traveling with Pikachu for a year." Then at the beginning of Black and White, it states Ash is 10. It's a matter of inconsistencies.

How is this different from other shows that do this...? The Simpsons have been doing it for almost 25 years. Time is shown to clearly pass, yet they all stay the same age.

The whole point of the anime doing this (and to a degree, the games as well) is to be easy to follow for a new audience of kids growing up with the series. Remember - not everyone watching the anime today grew up watching it when Ash first started his journey.

Let me just take One Piece, Bleach, Reborn, and Naruto as examples. All their characters have aged. If it's a story based show, like Pokemon, the characters should age, it makes sense. Not to mention the fact Ash is just a terrible protagonist to begin with, it makes for a bad show.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
I already know that Ash is still being kept in the anime for marketing purposes. Still it is the reason why I am not as attracted to the anime as I used to be. Still reading Pokemon Adventures is a good alternative because at least they try to follow the storyline of the games much more closely. I would recommend Pokemon Adventures for anyone who loves the franchise but dislikes the anime especially since Viz is kind of enough to already bringing out the Ruby and Sapphire chapter.

To close this up, it is obvious that since the anime attracts so much attention and makes so much money is why there will never be an anime adaption for Pokemon Adventures though I still wish they should since it would have a better storyline than what the anime is doing with reusing the same main characters, and often reusing old story plots in different episodes.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Team Rocket will be competent.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Surprised that this came up on ANN first and not BulbaNews or Serebii Laughing

This is Satoshi's best outfit since Hoenn, which seems to pay homage to Calem's design. I have no complaints, but I'd like to see companions more interesting than what we saw in Iris and Cilan.
kayori1928

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Bring Back Misty and Brock and then I might actually watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6