• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Full-Series Streams Expiring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This entire argument is completely off-topic and has nothing to do with the news item. Knock it off.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
That's a relief. I thought Funimation was going to announce that DVD/Blu-Ray was too easy to pirate, so they were going back to VHS only. Wink
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
That's a relief. I thought Funimation was going to announce that DVD/Blu-Ray was too easy to pirate, so they were going back to VHS only. Wink

You can pirate VHS tapes too, you know? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:

You can pirate VHS tapes too, you know? Razz

So this means I guess the next step is to have Funimation directly download the episodes to our Brains. I mean the stuff can't be pirated then, unless someone figures out a way to pull information from our brain either through hypnosis or after we are dead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
What's wrong with a harmless and well-intentioned joke? For example, today the Urban Dictionary has revamped their site to look like Wikipedia and Google released this hilarious video. You don't need to play a malevolent or deceptive prank to celebrate April Fools.
Wait a minute, are you suggesting that the $999 VHS version of 5cm/sec that Crunchyroll is advertising is not a legit offering? But it had such great extras!

Next you are going to say that Funimation is not releasing Sailor Moon in association with an established fansub group this September after all.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Our shows have online streaming schedules like NBC, Comedy Central and FX. Our shows are not always on.

We take them down for a couple of months. They'll be back up, but in say in about 4 months from now. (don't quote me on the exact time length) They are not gone, gone.

If you really want full 24/7 access to the shows, you can always buy the box set DVD/Blu-ray from Right Stuf, Anime Corner Store or other retailers selling anime, or get the show through iTunes, xBox, Amazon or Playstation for digital episodes for purchase.

We still have all the licensing rights to the shows, but we are giving these shows a break from streaming the full series. You can still watch the first couple of shows to try a series out.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Marketing Director Guy
@lheiskell (if you are on the twitters)

Well, why do they have to expire? They should be streaming as long as you've got the rights no matter what!

And what the hell is up with putting up only a few dubbed episodes of X, Y, or Z series but the whole thing subbed? Are you TRYING to shaft us dub fans?
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

And what the hell is up with putting up only a few dubbed episodes of X, Y, or Z series but the whole thing subbed? Are you TRYING to shaft us dub fans?

It's called marketing, dude. They're TRYING to get you to buy the dvds, because they're not a nonprofit organization ~_~ They're banking on the fact that most fans will want the dub and be willing to pay for it; furthermore, their dub is something that another site can't reproduce, while there are any number of sites that can provide fansubs.

...As someone who prefers subs, that kind of works fine for me. But if I could only watch the dub for free and not the sub (like with Netflix, though that's not really free) I'd be more likely to buy the dvd for the subs.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

It's called marketing, dude. They're TRYING to get you to buy the dvds, because they're not a nonprofit organization ~_~ They're banking on the fact that most fans will want the dub and be willing to pay for it; furthermore, their dub is something that another site can't reproduce, while there are any number of sites that can provide fansubs.

...As someone who prefers subs, that kind of works fine for me. But if I could only watch the dub for free and not the sub (like with Netflix, though that's not really free) I'd be more likely to buy the dvd for the subs.

LOLRLLY?

Are you sure? From what i've seen, ALOT more fans liked subbed anime. Dub fans like me are the sure minority when it comes to preferences, but you're right, they are taking down shows that have dubs and limiting it down to four episodes dubbed and the whole show subbed so I would have to go out and buy the show. Thing is, I don't mind doing it considering that's how i've been buying anime ever since I could afford it (until Netflix came along).

The problem is, my calculations must be wrong if this is the true marketing strategy they have going. Anyways, I haven't been streaming long-licensed animes on here for a while now and I know thanks to Netflix, I won't be doing it anytime soon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
'tis no joke. ANN doesn't celebrate April Fools.

To which I am extremely happy about. April Fools is okay for your average Joe, but whenever I see a established business do it, I shake my head.

What's wrong with a harmless and well-intentioned joke? For example, today the Urban Dictionary has revamped their site to look like Wikipedia and Google released this hilarious video. You don't need to play a malevolent or deceptive prank to celebrate April Fools.

Y'know on holiday season, how ANN lists who and how anime/manga websites changed for the holiday? Maybe they should also make a list of anime/manga websites that celebrate April Fool's Day! Laughing

Ryojen wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Stop complaining. You're lucky Netflix has any anime at all.

I agree. Netflix could easily stop adding anime and instead focus on other movies. The fact Netflix streams and carries any anime at all is a privilege, not a set in stone requirement.

Something is always better than nothing at all.

Seriously? We're doing this again?

I remember back when the licensing companies would release grainy DVDs with slapped-on dubtitles, people who complained about the quality would be bombarded by the same excuse. "You're lucky to be getting any anime at all! Stop complaining!" Fact is, anyone who pays for DVDs or Netflix is a consumer. They have every right to complain if the quality isn't to their liking, and the company in question has an obligation to consider if that complaint has any merit. Saying "something is better than nothing" accomplishes exactly that... NOTHING.

It's also a bit ironic. Dunno if ya guys remember, but when Netflix was first starting out, they particularly went after the early gadget adopters and technophiles - and thus anime fans. They stocked the few anime DVDs as those were coming out.

Now that Netflix has caught on with the mainstream public, that's what they're focusing on.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Okay, so it's April 2nd and I'd like to confirm this wasn't an April Fools joke.

Would have been a really boring Joke if it had been.

-t
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Jump aboard the careboat.

Only good thing they have going for them is the weekly simulcast of OP

I Kind of feel sorry for people who go and watch that poor quality crap.

Come back when you get 720p funi.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Okay, so it's April 2nd and I'd like to confirm this wasn't an April Fools joke.

Would have been a really boring Joke if it had been.

-t

I don't know about that. There are some diehard fans out there with no sense of humor who probably saw the announcement, shouted "It's not fair!", and spent the rest of the day sobbing.

That said, it does kind of blow for those fans, I guess. It doesn't affect me much, since the only show I like out of the ones listed is Fruits Basket, and I own it on DVD.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Our shows have online streaming schedules like NBC, Comedy Central and FX. Our shows are not always on.

Are these series expiring on FUNimation's video site as well? It would be nice if you actually listed the expiration date (kind of like what Nozomi does for their limited time videos), particularly for the dubbed videos which are around for seemingly random lengths. It would help me to know how to pace my viewing for the titles I'm more interested in trying out.
Gentry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This entire argument is completely off-topic and has nothing to do with the news item. Knock it off.
Yeah stop discussing anime related things on an anime forum please. Go and create yet another thread to fit your five or so posts in. Rolling Eyes

Power mad mods back in fashion I see.
sscout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We take them down for a couple of months. They'll be back up, but in say in about 4 months from now. (don't quote me on the exact time length) They are not gone, gone.

I, for one, am glad to hear that the shows will not be gone forever. I've grown enormously fond of streaming. I'm a paying subscriber to both Crunchyroll and AnimeNetwork, soon to add ANN's premium options for some shows to the list.

ANN needs more premium title options before their model can really take off though, they are not anywhere near critical mass. Hint hint, Funimation... hopefully your licensing contracts allow that, or can be modified for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3