• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Watch Words

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Think about it like this. If not for Gamestop, you probably wouldn't even be able to play it in the first place unless you modded your Wii.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
They do this all the time with "rare" games. When Atlus re-printed SMT3, they gutted the copies and sold them as used so they could be higher. They are doing the same with Tales of Graces, opening new copies and selling them for an inflated price.

It sucks in Xenoblade's case because there are no other options and price is shady.

Frankly the game is great and everyone should play it. It's a shame there's a stupid barrier of entry now.

Its called importing. You know we live on this thing called planet Earth, and they have this magical place called Europe. The euro pal edition can be had for a lot cheaper than the US release, and its playable on the US pal with minimal modifications, and its in English.

My main issue is like it was with Rhapsody and Nocturne, and Disgaea. I bought the game it went up in price, and then all of its value was lost over night because or reprints. I paid like 3 times the price of Rhapsody for an open copy. Personally I don't care if they reprint as long, as there are some distinguishing features like greatest hits. Essentially what they are releasing is a bootleg. Its the same with books, a publisher can't just go and reprint first edition first printings of something even if they own the rights to the book. You are deceiving your customers. The problem is that no win is willing to go to court with gamestop over any of the anti consumer practices because there are no gains to be had. The practice of opening a game and selling it as new is pretty much fraud, but what will a single individual gain in court if they win. legal fees in the thousands and maybe an injunction, but nothing to benefit the plaintiff.

Regarding BoF, companies should be forced to give up the rights to franchises for this kind of crap. You had several publishers and developers go to Capcom and say, hey we will spend all the money and make another BoF, and Capcom told them to shove off. And now they release this crap, a freaking IOS game. Its one thing if there was no interest in the game at all but the fact you had several developers, one of which I know was Camelot, interested in making it, there is no excuse.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Its called importing. You know we live on this thing called planet Earth, and they have this magical place called Europe. The euro pal edition can be had for a lot cheaper than the US release, and its playable on the US pal with minimal modifications, and its in English.
I did. I never picked up the US version of Xenoblade. I only have the PAL version, which I pre-orded the moment it was available.

I wasn't talking about myself buying the game.

But, not everyone is like me. Not everyone wants to import. Not everyone wants to mod there system. Maybe they have a Wii U. Many reasons or exsues could get in the way and all of them could be remedied be a moderately priced and easily available US version.

But I also don't care. I don't think Gamestop is doing anything wrong. They are a store, a pawn shop. They set their price and it may suck, but that's how it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex, the Gamestop of America. Smile
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Aniplex, the Gamestop of America. Smile

let me fix that for you

Game-Stop the aniplex of america for USED GAMES!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
About the Xenoblade Chronicles thing, when I went to pick up Tales of Xillia, I saw copies of it at my local Gamestop behind the cashier for $40. I thought to myself, "Maybe I should get a copy before they really become extinct."

Breath of Fire 6: I learned of this travesty a week ago and it still disgusts me. Using the name of BoF to reel in new suckers for their market, ugh. This can stay over there for all I care. The once great dragon-centric series really has its nose in the ground now. I guess the Breath of Fire Complete Works art book will cheer me up next year.

Danbell Senki W Super Custom: I'm just now hearing about the TV series localization. I also have to admit to something: I have the Ifrit figure. It's a really cool design if anyone's seen it. Maybe this could become the next big thing here.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Didn't Gamestop help publish Xenoblade in America which is why they have exclusive rights to sell it? I don't see any problem with them charging what they want for a game they themselves own the rights to.

no they didn't help publish they just have exclusive rights to sell it. this is a perfect example why monopolies over products should not exist.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

It should be illegal in my opinion unless you are a 3rd party seller re-selling the game. Game-Stop is a 1st party business store and should be held to higher standard. It was a lot of love and care to get this game even localized which is why I'm so mad.

Yeah, here's part of the problem: by inflating the price and selling as used, all that money that is above the normal price is pure profit only to Gamestop, and not the developers. And if you factor in simple supply and demand, the higher price will make it sell fewer units. Combining these two facts leads to the fact that the developers make less money as a result of this.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
Todd Cialik wrote:
Confession: I hate the characters in Toriko. They look generic and boring.

Two words: Gourmet Corp.
Rahxephon91 wrote:
But I also don't care. I don't think Gamestop is doing anything wrong. They are a store, a pawn shop. They set their price and it may suck, but that's how it is.

And...what? Do we have to kowtow to their business model? Do we absolutely need the game for no other purpose than to be first at the punch bowl?

Let me answer that for you. No we don't. Nobody is obligated to go to Gamestop and deal with their interests. Last time I checked, video games are not sustenance. We don't need video games as bad as we need food and water. If you don't like the price on the game at Gamestop, don't buy it. Plain and simple.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Let me answer that for you. No we don't. Nobody is obligated to go to Gamestop and deal with their interests. Last time I checked, video games are not sustenance. We don't need video games as bad as we need food and water. If you don't like the price on the game at Gamestop, don't buy it. Plain and simple.
Um.......I'm not sure how that goes against what I'm saying. I'm saying it's tough tits. If you don't want to buy the game, then don't. I never said anything about having to bow down to Gamestop, how we should be oh so happy they even sell us the game.

So I don't know why you felt the need to post this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Um.......I'm not sure how that goes against what I'm saying. I'm saying it's tough tits. If you don't want to buy the game, then don't. I never said anything about having to bow down to Gamestop, how we should be oh so happy they even sell us the game.

So I don't know why you felt the need to post this.

Because some people seem to get the impression that Gamestop's business model is the accepted industry norm that everyone should just shut up and deal with. It's not.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I had heard of Christine Love before but I'd never actually seen a plot summary of some of her games. They sound much more bizarre and interesting than I had been aware of. Now I'm tempted to check them out - but also conflicted, because while they sound totally fascinating in the sense that they're completely unique and uniquely formally and thematically sophisticated, aesthetically and mechanically they seem, uh... somewhat not to my tastes. (Well, except for the part about a space station modeling itself after a bygone historical society. I've always been a sucker for that trope.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2