• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times on TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I know you can find it online, but can you find it in Sunday's paper? Because I have that paper because they sent the wrong newspaper to our house... so if someone could tell me what page it's on if it is in the paper, I'd be grateful!!
jdb728

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The article focuses on various TV series, and "mini-series" that are or have aired on Adult Swim, such as FLCL, Naruto, Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent.

Just to note a little mistake. Naruto has, and is being aired on Cartoon Network, but it is not, and never has aired on Adult Swim.
Just thought I'd point that out.

Thanks. Cool
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
What the hax the link now wants a login. Anyway, I think I meant to write "samurai-in-training;" whether I did or not, the point still stands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
lion-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
yes very good article indeed
no bashing at all good job there nytimes

im surpised they didn't say anything about the best americanize anime style cartoon out there Avatar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animedude35

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have the link to the whole article without having to log in? I don't mind these things, but I just don't want to sign up for something I would probably only see once Confused
Tondog38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Animedude: www.bugmenot.com

This is by far the worst article I've seen in my entire life.

Quote:
Finally, the boundary between cartoons for children and cartoons for adults isn't nearly as well defined in Japan as it is here, resulting in higher quality across the board.
What a load of crap. I think everyone here knows that Naruto & FMA are shows mostly for kids. Plus, how would a less well defined line make anime have better quality overall? That just does not make any sense to me.

Quote:
Shows like "Naruto," "Fullmetal Alchemist" or "Samurai Champloo" put the vast majority of American-made cartoons to shame and can hold their own with most live-action prime-time TV
What a load of crap! Why the heck is he trying to pass this off as TRUTH when it is only his opinion?! I'm sure there are plenty of people out there, myself included, who think that Naruto or FMA is just as bad as the majority of American cartoons. Now, I wouldn't mind if he stated that this was his opinion, but when he trys to pass it off as fact, it just gets on my nerves.

Quote:
These are mostly joky, exaggeratedly cartoonish shows like "Ed, Edd n Eddy," "Camp Lazlo" and "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy," heavy on forced laughs and light on story or character.
And bobobobobo, Naruto, and whatever aren't? You gotta be joking.

Quote:
Otherwise, they lurk in the early morning hours or pop up in the afternoon, and they come and go on the schedule without warning.
Uuuuuhhh, doesn't Adult Swim have anime almost every night? Way to contradict yourself.

Quote:
Tracking them down is worth the trouble. The typical American cartoon these days - including the good-to-great ones, from "SpongeBob SquarePants" to "The Simpsons" to "South Park" - is about arrested adolescence (with preternaturally wise children sometimes on hand to provide a point of view). The best Japanese cartoons, on the other hand, are about coming of age, with all the traditional narrative arc and character development that implies. In fact, what's most satisfying about them is just how traditional they are, at a time when American children's cartoons seem trapped in some sort of post-Hanna Barbera hipster echo chamber. (Cartoon Network may be thinking along the same lines: one of its newest series, "IGPX," is an anime, a straight-ahead auto-racing tale produced in collaboration with several Japanese animation studios.)
Once again, the author is trying to prove that American cartoons are the devil and that anime is the only way to go. More opinions and more lies.

Quote:
(Naruto) also deploys the sort of visual touches that have migrated from anime into American cartoons: moments of stress or high emotion trigger wild distortions of faces and figures, or throw the whole cartoon out of its semirealistic mode into black and white squiggles. But in American cartoons, such effects are often used strictly for their own sake - in fact, a lot of shows seem to exist as a frame on which to string together a succession of oscillating limbs and telescoping eyeballs. In "Naruto," the effects always serve the story
Yeah, and Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo aren't frame stories for their respective characters to get into fights. Rolling Eyes

Oh and those chibi deals aren't used to supplement the story at all, ever. They are there merely for cuteness factor and humor, just like in American cartoons.

Quote:
Its humor may be broad and its story lines simple - it's a cartoon for tweenagers
Is it me or is this a total contradiction of what he said earlier about anime being smarter than American cartoons?

Quote:
it also has moments of doubt and reflection, such as Naruto's late-night visit to a noodle shop before his first ninja exam, that would never play in a pumped-up American cartoon.
How do you know that? More assumptions and generalizations.

Quote:
"Naruto," as inconsequential as it is, has less in common with Cartoon Network's domestic lineup than it does with another portrayal of a rebellious, talented outsider: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."
Most of the shows are CN are about kids who get in trouble doing things. Naruto fits that mold perfectly.

Just because something portrays anime in a positive light does not mean that it is a good article.
Tommimacevovi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Tondog38 wrote:
Animedude: www.bugmenot.com

This is by far the worst article I've seen in my entire life.

Quote:
Finally, the boundary between cartoons for children and cartoons for adults isn't nearly as well defined in Japan as it is here, resulting in higher quality across the board.
What a load of crap. I think everyone here knows that Naruto & FMA are shows mostly for kids. Plus, how would a less well defined line make anime have better quality overall? That just does not make any sense to me.

Quote:
Shows like "Naruto," "Fullmetal Alchemist" or "Samurai Champloo" put the vast majority of American-made cartoons to shame and can hold their own with most live-action prime-time TV
What a load of crap! Why the heck is he trying to pass this off as TRUTH when it is only his opinion?! I'm sure there are plenty of people out there, myself included, who think that Naruto or FMA is just as bad as the majority of American cartoons. Now, I wouldn't mind if he stated that this was his opinion, but when he trys to pass it off as fact, it just gets on my nerves.

Quote:
These are mostly joky, exaggeratedly cartoonish shows like "Ed, Edd n Eddy," "Camp Lazlo" and "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy," heavy on forced laughs and light on story or character.

Quote:
Otherwise, they lurk in the early morning hours or pop up in the afternoon, and they come and go on the schedule without warning.
Uuuuuhhh, doesn't Adult Swim have anime almost every night? Way to contradict yourself.

Quote:
Tracking them down is worth the trouble. The typical American cartoon these days - including the good-to-great ones, from "SpongeBob SquarePants" to "The Simpsons" to "South Park" - is about arrested adolescence (with preternaturally wise children sometimes on hand to provide a point of view). The best Japanese cartoons, on the other hand, are about coming of age, with all the traditional narrative arc and character development that implies. In fact, what's most satisfying about them is just how traditional they are, at a time when American children's cartoons seem trapped in some sort of post-Hanna Barbera hipster echo chamber. (Cartoon Network may be thinking along the same lines: one of its newest series, "IGPX," is an anime, a straight-ahead auto-racing tale produced in collaboration with several Japanese animation studios.)
Once again, the author is trying to prove that American cartoons are the devil and that anime is the only way to go. More opinions and more lies.

Quote:
(Naruto) also deploys the sort of visual touches that have migrated from anime into American cartoons: moments of stress or high emotion trigger wild distortions of faces and figures, or throw the whole cartoon out of its semirealistic mode into black and white squiggles. But in American cartoons, such effects are often used strictly for their own sake - in fact, a lot of shows seem to exist as a frame on which to string together a succession of oscillating limbs and telescoping eyeballs. In "Naruto," the effects always serve the story
Yeah, and Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo aren't frame stories for their respective characters to get into fights. Rolling Eyes

Oh and those chibi deals aren't used to supplement the story at all, ever. They are there merely for cuteness factor and humor, just like in American cartoons.

Quote:
Its humor may be broad and its story lines simple - it's a cartoon for tweenagers
Is it me or is this a total contradiction of what he said earlier about anime being smarter than American cartoons?

Quote:
it also has moments of doubt and reflection, such as Naruto's late-night visit to a noodle shop before his first ninja exam, that would never play in a pumped-up American cartoon.
How do you know that? More assumptions and generalizations.

Quote:
"Naruto," as inconsequential as it is, has less in common with Cartoon Network's domestic lineup than it does with another portrayal of a rebellious, talented outsider: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."
Most of the shows are CN are about kids who get in trouble doing things. Naruto fits that mold perfectly.

Just because something portrays anime in a positive light does not mean that it is a good article.

Like you said, everyone has his opinion, but you have to admit, for once they actually put relatively most of information correctly and protray it in a semi-neutral manner.

BTW: have you actually watch some of the show AND think of the meaning that they have, one thing about Japanese anime is about the messages BEHIND the action. If you just watch the show and then dismiss it as childish is pretty much meant you have not truly watched the show at all, or at least not truly understand the meaning of the show.

For example: FMA's true messages behind the action is simple: sometimes well-intentioned action (Ed getting Al back to normal) could have consequences far beyond one's imaginationspoiler[Philospher's stone must be created with souls of people killed by someone], and one must take responsibility for such action and wonder what is truly right and what is truly wrongspoiler[use the stone and condemn your soul to the sin of murder or not use the stone and condemn your brother to a life of hollowed existance]

That just my two cent. At least try to read an article without immidate opinion based. Don't forget, the writer probably have never watch anime until those shows came on CN, so to him, FMA, Naruto, and Samuari Chaploo might be news to him.
xSUiT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Tondog38 wrote:
TO be honest that person just wrote so much I didn't feel like quoting it all. Nornally I would've let it go but after reading Tondog's reply I felt the urge to say something. How simplistic can a mind make things so that it thinks Ed, Edd, and Eddy stands on the same level as Full Metal Alchemist. When one of the Ed's even start bleeding profusely give me a call, until then they are far from on the same level of "exaggeratedly cartoonish" programs or as light on story and heavy on laughs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anath_19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
Tondog38 wrote:

Quote:

I do believe that he's saying that because cartoons in Japan aren't focused entirely on children, it allows them to have, say, plot. And character development. Which means higher quality than most American cartoons that have neither of those.

Tondog38 wrote:
Quote:

I can't say anything about bobobo, because that does appear to be "heavy on forced laughs" (haven't seen it myself), but where are the laughs in Naruto? From what I've seen, they're all in the first 2 or 3 episodes, and maybe a couple random episodes later in the series. Though it doesn't exactly have a heavy story, it does have character development, which is pretty much one of the only things going for it.

Tondog38 wrote:
Quote:
Hmm...it doesn't look at all like he's trying to say that American cartoons are the devil, it's just he's saying that most anime tend to have better story. And whose side are you on anyway? You've already stated that you don't like most American cartoons and now you're worried about them being viewed as the devil? That's a bit odd.

Tondog38 wrote:
Quote:

Have you even really seen Naruto? There are maybe a handful of scenes with Naruto "getting in trouble doing things" and a large amount of scenes with him, well, being serious. And not getting in trouble. If the whole anime were just Naruto doing one crazy stunt after another that made people angry at him, you'd have a point. But it's not.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote
"If you just watch the show and then dismiss it as childish is pretty much meant you have not truly watched the show at all, or at least not truly understand the meaning of the show."

And yet when certain..."people" (I'm not a name dropper) come across shows like the aforementioned Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, they dismiss it, and/or criticize it simply based on the grounds that the show "doesn't make sense". To put it in perspective, Bo-bobo could be seen by some as "childish", but that's because that's how it's supposed to be.

Anyhow, the NY Times article (which requires free registration) was described by Toon Zone as "condescending".
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

Anyhow, the NY Times article (which requires free registration) was described by Toon Zone as "condescending".

I'd tend to agree. While I'm happy that there wasn't flagrant ignorance, prejudice or generalizations being made about anime in the NYT article, it left me with a niggling suspicion that the author was coming AT the subject of anime from smack in the middle of the camp that Japanese animation is all about creepy sex, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ and the occasional Miyazaki-quality film. He's not on "our" side attempting to make others see anime in a different light, he's on "their" side, attempting to make others see anime in a different light. This puts a damper on the forcefullness of his assertions, which obviously haven't even driven HIM to rethink things and take a new stance.

One doesn't get the feeling the author is knowledgeable about anime above and beyond the creepy sex., "Pokemon," Miyazaki etc. How about mentioning who the creator of "Samurai Champloo" is and how his earlier series, "Cowboy Bebop", was a HUGE "gateway" show for fans in North America? I doubt he knows, so he doesn't do this. He's just skimming the surface of Adult Swim (pun intended), plugging the "Japanese cartoons = shows for the kid-focused Cartoon Network" angle.
How about explaining WHY Adult Swim showed up in the first place? - because anime deemed innappropriate for kids are a hot commodity, and CN is one of the only places the general public can find them without shelling out money for DVDS or pay-per-view services. Really. The author complains about how late these shows are aired as if he wants them on earlier so CN's major audience doesn't keel over from lack of sleep. It's NOT the elementary school kids watching Samurai Champloo, it's older teens and adults!
How about mentioning that OTHER companies have seen the potential market for adult anime and jumped on board, offering the kinds of shows CN wouldn't air during prime time (without censorship, at least)?
On this note, how about pointing out that some of the shows CN airs are censored/edited to make them more appropriate for young, American, kids whose parents would probably complain if they saw Saitoh smoking a cigarette? Horrors!
How about associating adult anime with something OTHER THAN HENTAI??

Granted, the perception of most Americans about cartoons - that they're entertainment for kids - automatically causes any anime appropriate for kids to be labeled as for kids. It's not something that's going to change anytime soon. But this article doesn't do much to shed light on this flawed way of thinking, because it's pretty obvious that the author shares the same opinion. Ok, so he mentioned "The Simpsons" and a few other primetime, animated series popular with adults as proof that cartoons aren't just for kids; he mentioned the award-winning "Spirited Away;" he tossed out a few tidbits regarding upcoming series with more depth like "Paranoia Agent" and "FLCL." But he's still laboring under the common impression that, since American cartoons can be as easily divided into "adult" and "kid" categories, so too can their Japanese counterparts and this is how audiences should see them. Elements of strong plot, characters with depth, attractive animation, mature themes and quality soundtracks often infuse anime that is not for adults only. Look at FMA! He doesn't refer to it as anything other than a show for tweens that happens to air late at night.

p.s. The pampering American children receive with regards to "safe" content in dumbed-down shows goes a long way towards explaining how difficult it is for most adults to grasp the idea that "sensitive" subjects like divorce, death, poverty, serious (not comic) violence, social injustice, war etc. is for adults-only, causing them to overlook or remain ignorant of the fact that many anime series regularly explore such themes, regardless of the viewer's age. I'd love to know if "Kodomo no Omocha" would wind up on Adult Swim if CN aired it.

pps. I'm one of those children who grew up in the 1980's barred from watching anything heavier than "The Smurfs," and my mother even had some issues with that show (still does, she doesn't like all the violence and whatnot in cartoons). God help me if I snuck a peek at "He-Man" while at a friend's house! This is one reason I'm so attracted to anime, because it's a storytelling medium I enjoy in a flagrant reversal of roles from when I was a kid - I couldn't watch most cartoons then because, according to mother, they weren't appropriate for children; now I'm not supposed to watch cartoons because they ARE appropriate for children. Talk about a double standard! Razz to you, Mom! The same kind of line divides the thinking of most adults, however, that certain cartoons are for kids and certain cartoons are for adults based exclusively on the maturity of their content, and that kids shouldn't be exposed to heavy issues on TV. This kind of thinking doesn't work at all with anime.

For the record, I think it's appalling that parents let kids under the age of 13 watch South Park. I remember when "The Simpsons" was horrifying American audiences, however, so I guess eventually something even WORSE than "South Park" will come along and become acceptable entertainment for children. *sigh*

Anyways, look how big this post got!
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the article. I mean, this is the reason people say anime is just plain better than American cartoons. American cartoons are too elementary and don't deal with a lot of the things that are shown in anime. I'm not playing the "ANIME IS TEH MATURE CARD" here because I know most anime is geared towards the 13-17 demographic. But you have to admit.. today's American cartoons are just too simple and the jokes are too forced. Avitar: The Last Airbender is a right step in what American cartoons should be (though I believe Koreans helped in the making of that, not sure.) It's not episodic like most American cartoons and features a great cast of characters, some great fights, and has some slick animation going for it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Tondog38 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, I'd sooner watch any random episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy over any random episode of Fullmetal Alchemist any night of the week. (Well, I mean, I would if I had the choice, which I don't because FMA doesn't air in Canada, though I've seen it in a club setting so I'm not talking out of my butt here.)

I don't find anything about the comedy in Billy and Mandy "forced".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I just read the Sunday NYT's article and found it confusing. Was the article about Cartoon Network or anime on American TV in general? It seemed to me that the writer failed on the latter since he doesn't mention anime on other nets such as G4, The Anime Network (VOD), Anime Selects (VOD), Starz and Showtime Extreme.
I'm sorry, but mentioning FLCL and Paranoia Agent is like saying that the Longhorns had just won the Rose Bowl -- last week. Dated sources and dated information. A poor article. And what was the deal with describing Samurai Champloo with Crazy/Beautiful? That was condescending!
The article more or less was a pr machine for Cartoon Network, not for anime. They just happen to air anime on the net.
Dear Editors of The New York Times - get qualified writers who know what they are writing about before printing it! Mike Hale, are you Jason Blair?
ashram12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="daxomni"]
It's true that anime series [b][u]could[/b][/u] use their time to flesh out all the important details that sometimes get overlooked in the movie productions, but my experience is that many anime series simply squander the extra time afforded to them and just seem to wander from one episode to another before suddenly trying to tie up all the lose ends in the last couple episodes. In other words the extra time allotted to a series is often wasted, at least in part, instead of being planned with care to provide a significantly more satisfying experience.

I've seen GitS and Akira, and it's true that it's sometimes hard to keep up with them, but the NGE and Utena [b]series[/b] were even more confusing to me. Millennium Actress was groundbreaking for me and Vampire Hunter D is a true classic IMO. Spirited Away is quite possibly my most prized possession among all the anime I have ever seen or ever will see. If Spirited Away was already "too long" in movie form, then how could it have possibly been improved by making into an even longer series?[/quote]

Whereas you feel that anime series tend to waste their time by not developing story or characters, I've seldom felt that way. Except for Inuyasha...
Actually one of the things that I like about anime series is that each episode is 30 minutes long. So, even though a Spirited Away tv series would technically be longer than the movie, the fact that you watch in 30 minute increments make it seem less long. And also, I don't mind being a bit confused for 30 minute increments than being confused for two hours. I know it's a completely lame explanation, but that's my perception of things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3